Very annoyed with Natwest

Options

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My son was due the latest instalment of his student loan on Monday and that appeared in his Barclays student account this morning. I think I read somewhere (unless I dreamt it) that all banks were stopping the money showing on a Saturday. But I could be wrong.....I often am. :)

Barclays will be changing in April 2018.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Barclays will be changing in April 2018.
    Oh goody. I get my state pension in May and my payday will be Monday. No pensioner type splurges on a Saturday for me then.:D
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 13 January 2018 at 9:39PM
    Options
    I just logged into RBS (same group as NatWest) and saw an alert confirming that credits and direct debits due on Monday will show on Monday (not Saturday). Faster Payments will show as soon as they depart or arrive however.

(Corrected)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    I just logged into RBS (same group as NatWest) and saw an alert confirming that credits and direct debits due on Monday will not show on Monday (not Saturday). Faster Payments will show as soon as they depart or arrive however.

Did you mean to type WILL show on Monday (Not Saturday)??
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you mean to type WILL show on Monday (Not Saturday)??

Duh, yes. Corrected original post. Thanks for pointing out my error.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm afraid, that's wrong!

If your payment is due on a bank holiday, it will be due on the last working day prior. The DWP will place the instruction for payment earlier to be with your bank before the due day. On the due day the payment will simultaneously be credited to your account as well as debited from the sender.

Basically all payments will go into your account on the day they are due. It is the sender who determines the due day, not the bank.

In that case it won't be due on the Monday so will be due on the earlier day.

But if a payment is not due until the Monday it will not be available until the next working day.

from RBS

From 13 January 2018: Any regular payments due to be paid in to your account on a Monday (or next working day after a Bank Holiday) will only be available to you from the Monday (or next working day after a Bank Holiday) and not the Saturday as before. Just make sure there’s enough money in your account to cover you for any spending over the weekend.
  • Running_On_Empty
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Don't worry, the money's being invested in hedge funds and derivatives over the weekend ;)

Yes, to generate some money so that we can all enjoy free banking.
    :)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    debsy42 wrote: »
    I'm with RBS who are part of the same group as Natwest and received a letter from them quite a while ago advising of this change about money not being available until the Monday instead of the Saturday. I'm lucky that it won't affect me too much but I bet a few people have been caught out with this.
    Seems to have caught out quite a few in the disability groups I frequent on FB. I definitely remember NatWest informing me, cannot remember if it was a letter or a message when logging into online banking, but I was expecting this change.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If I remember correctly, my mums pension payday is on a Monday. If a payday falls on a bank holiday, she gets two weeks money the week before.
    But, as has been said, it’s the DWP that decides this, not the bank.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Seems to have caught out quite a few in the disability groups I frequent on FB. I definitely remember NatWest informing me, cannot remember if it was a letter or a message when logging into online banking, but I was expecting this change.
    The subject came up in this thread on here from late October 2017: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5734845

Granted that was RBS rather than NatWest but I have no doubt that the change in terms applies to both - I pointed out back then that I didn't think I'd received any notification from RBS and don't recall receiving anything since then, but was aware of many changes to banks' Ts & Cs applying from yesterday....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure