MSE News: NatWest customers in lurch after meltdown

Options

Comments

• ahxcjb
    ahxcjb Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    This is likely to be an internal IT issue so asking who their IT provider is is a pointless exercise.

Indeed. 'IT provider' indeed. laughable.
  • dazza12
    dazza12 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got a couple of friends who work for Natwest IT. Feeling sorry for them right now. However, they've told me what happened. Some idiot applied an untested update to their clearing system that corrupted a load of data. It has taken until today to unravel this, and put in place a new system. The delay is now down to approximately 200 million transactions queued in the system. Normally this would run overnight when bank systems are quiet - however it's had to run whilst all hell has broken loose.

Debits are always processed before credits. All banks do this, so don't worry if it's showing direct debits going out with no wages - this will update and it doesn't mean nothing will go in.

Something to bear in mind if you're thinking of changing banks:

The same thing has happened to HSBC, Barclays and Santander over the past year. Technical issues have also happened to other banks but the smaller ones don't get much press.

Lloyds work by some archaic system that doesn't let you do things in real time. I made the mistake of switching to Lloyds, and not being able to draw funds on the day they arrived would hit cashflow.

Advice about having a couple of accounts is good, but only if you are able to service these accounts. Another bank won't let you draw funds if you never use the account and keep the balance at £10.

I'm also one of those that should have been paid today. Everything goes out this weekend with nothing to pay it. However, I've spoken to Natwest, they're allowing me £300 if it's needed and more if I can prove it's needed (only flimsy proof needed, they're giving the benefit of the doubt).
    Competition wins:
    2010 - approx £450. 2011 - approx £800. 2012 - approx £300. 2013 - nothing so far!
  • ahxcjb
    ahxcjb Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    dazza12 wrote: »
    I've got a couple of friends who work for Natwest IT. Feeling sorry for them right now. However, they've told me what happened. Some idiot applied an untested update to their clearing system that corrupted a load of data. It has taken until today to unravel this, and put in place a new system. .

Sorry, but this simply isn't credible. All root / application account access to servers (required to perform application updates) has to be requested - approved by management - then access delegated to the user account wishing to perform the change.

NO access would be granted without an approved change. Your friends who work for Natwest IT need to be a little better briefed. Sorry.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Middy wrote: »
    I have plenty of dried pasta, rice, tinned veg etc at home. If I do have situations where I have no money left, at least I have something to eat.

I have been to many of my friends' houses and they don't have much of a stock cupboard. Which you need regardless if in the winter you do get snowed in or unable to visit the shops due to illness or injury.

I agree with this.

Maybe this problem will help people to manage better in the future if this sort of thing happens again.

I posted similar comments on another thread about the Natwest issues and was told my comments about keeping a stock of things were disgusting and bloody condescending ! :rotfl:
  • x_Bunny_x
    x_Bunny_x Posts: 1,325 Forumite
    Options
    ffghugsf wrote: »
    Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, this would probably be a good solution for most people, but what I failed to explain was that I am actually disabled and housebound, hence why I use online shopping.

I would go to a branch if I could, but I really can't see any way to do so.

Any other suggestions please?

Don't you have any friends to help?. I'm sure you have a helper with the baby if you are housebound, to take baby for a ride out? :)

i was going to say call your local small shop up, ours is a co-op, explain to them and see if they can do anything :)

They may deliver some stuff, or just tell tesco, im sure they know whats happening, and im sure they will deliver if you tell them whats happening your side :)
    _Jen_
  • Cate1976
    Cate1976 Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really feel for people like ffghugsf who are struggling due to Nat west tech meltdown.

If I had a neighbour in similar situation to ffghugsf, I'd take some food to them to keep them going over the weekend.

Think the biggest problem is going to be for people who don't bank with Natwest but their employers do.

People on means tested benefits might have been able to get crisis loans from the benefits agency if they couldn't get money from the Emergency cash scheme Natwest has.

I bank with HSBC and when their computers went down last year, it was only down for a day so didn't cause us any bother. If it had gone on longer it would have done.

I have bank accounts with 3 banks, each account is used for different purpose. Easier to manage finances and save for things that way. Also has the advantage that if one ban has tech issues, we won't be without money or shouldn't be.

To all who've been affected by Natwest glitch, i hope you get everything sorted soon.
  • dazza12
    edited 22 June 2012 at 11:23PM
    Options
    ahxcjb wrote: »
    Sorry, but this simply isn't credible. All root / application account access to servers (required to perform application updates) has to be requested - approved by management - then access delegated to the user account wishing to perform the change.

NO access would be granted without an approved change. Your friends who work for Natwest IT need to be a little better briefed. Sorry.

Not really sure why your apologising. Possibly an attempt to patronise? I bet you think I'm just some jumped up support monkey trying to impress. Sorry, you've got me wrong.

Your retort seems to imply that I was saying that somebody made an unplanned change off of their own back. Sorry, I don't recall me saying that at all. Natwest extensively test any change that needs to be made, on test environments with copies of live data. Various scenarios are tested and only when it's been signed off will any change be made to a live system.

I'm fully conversant with change control processes thank you. Many types of different processes, in many different sectors. It's part of my current job, and was when I worked in a Gov agency, an aerospace company and prior to that several assignments in the financial sector. You won't believe me, but I'd be happy to send you my CV along with client testimonials and copies of the relevant certifications.

For 'friends', read 'fellow IT contractors'. I didn't originally feel it was relevant to make the distinction, but as you're trolling and I'm biting, hopefully it helps you distinguish me from the guy who has a mate who also has a mate who knows someone who's married to a cashier.

The company I currently work for write software for the health sector. Absolutely everything we do has to go through a change control process. In this, customer management has to approve every change, including running simulations on test systems with samples of real data. Only after an extensive test does this then get signed off by both customer managment and our management and the upgrade performed with a working backup system in place in case all does go wrong.

Despite all of this, in the real world things go wrong. In many cases a factor that wasn't considered, whether user generated or down to a data issue. Test environments don't always reflect the real world. Anybody can make a mistake, miss a step on an install script or misread a command line. Whenever a process involves human interaction, anything can go wrong. Despite the 'perfect' system you describe.

In this case, an update was ran on a live system. It had been tested, but should have been temporarily decommissioned (services stopped etc) prior to this. This wasn't picked up on immediately, and transactions continued to process through an effectively broken system. This then corrupted live data. It took until earlier today to fully roll back the changes and recover the data that had been damaged, and then 'play' the transactions from the point of failure.

I apologise to everyone else - this isn't a techy forum and I'm sorry for dragging it down. Tried to keep it in non-techy speak but there's always one who has to tell you publicly how wrong you are.
    Competition wins:
    2010 - approx £450. 2011 - approx £800. 2012 - approx £300. 2013 - nothing so far!
  • Geordie100
    Options
    we had to go into our branch..30 mile round trip, prove that my husbands wages were due to go in..(as they have done every Friday for the last 10 years) manager was rather haughty nobody apologised once & said we could have a maximum of £300. Shopping order from Asda cancelled, they said they had over 120 cancelled yesterday, & today.
    Couldn`t believe attitude of manager. 3 d d not gone out either Not one mention of "sorry"
  • dazza12
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    I agree with this.

Maybe this problem will help people to manage better in the future if this sort of thing happens again.

I posted similar comments on another thread about the Natwest issues and was told my comments about keeping a stock of things were disgusting and bloody condescending ! :rotfl:

I think it's probably the way people read things. As you can probably see I also put what I thought was some helpful background info about the situation but was shot down.

About 12 years ago I had a relationship that broke up and I had to move into a bedsit. At the same time an employer I was working for went into receivership just before pay day and I was left with only £80 to last a month. Suffice to say I couldn't survive and had to beg and borrow from friends and family until I could get back on my feet.

From that day I decided I'd never be in that situation again. Every time I've gone shopping, I've bought the odd extra tin of beans, extra pet food, and whenever buying frozen food I tend to get an extra bag of one or more of what I'm buying. Only an extra pound or two, but over the months and years I've managed to build up a fair amount of extra food.

I lost my last job back in October, and the above was a lifesaver. I was out of work for 2 months and it meant for a couple of weeks I only needed to buy what couldn't be stored, such as milk or fresh veg. I could feed my family, and this was a huge weight off my mind.

I hope this doesn't come across as being patronising in any way, as this doesn't help those who have no food. Just something I learnt. I now assume anything will go wrong and just try my best to plan for it.
    Competition wins:
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I always thought I was good at planning for a rainy day, but never even thought of the risk of having both my accounts with one bank.

Going to find one elsewhere that will let me keep a small amount in, and set up a payment so I pay in £2 a month or something to keep it active.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure