Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just scroll down to the bottom of the last page of the thread and you will see a Quick Reply box which is how you add your post to the thread
    You will find the FAQs on the first page of the thread and may want to have a look at Flightstats to see how other flights were affected during that time period in Amsterdam

The onward flight being Delta has nothing to do with compensation as Amsterdam is in the EU so the flight is covered by the regulations (a return flight with Delta from the US would not be) I am guessing that she missed the Delta flight so had to wait for the next one.
    If there was an security incident you may find coverage of it on the internet, it is likely not within the airlines control so no EU compensation although she should be reimbursed for meals and accommodation etc whilst waiting (as applicable)
  • WELLYBOOT0_0
    Options
    Hi my family of 4 travelled on 30/3/2014 to Orlando via Atlanta on DL39 flight. We boarded on time but once on the plane were delayed by 67 minutes. The captain advised us that it was due to the airconditioning unit at the rear of the plane not working. They had the part and were going to fix it before we took off.

We missed our connecting flight because of the delay and were unable to get on a standby flight. Delta were very good and put us in a hotel overnight and booked us on an early flight the next morning.

We arrived in Orlando 16 hours late. I wrote to them and they came back to me and said that the delay was due to Airport Security instructions, and therefore we were not able to claim.

I replied to them and explained that we had been told about the broken air conditioning by the captain and that was the reason for our delay.

They wrote back to me and said that they had checked again, and our flight was delayed by 20 mins because of the air conditioning and then the other 47 minutes were Airport Security instructions, therefore we were unable to claim.

I wrote back to them and said that we had already been waiting 20 minutes on the plane when the captain told us about the air conditioning, and then it had to fixed, and anyway if the airconditioning had been ok we probably wouldn't have had the Airport Security instructions anyway.

I have now had another reply from them offering us EMD vouchers. Each of us has been given a voucher number and it says at the bottom that the amount is £100. I'm not sure if it is £25 each or £100 each but it doesn't say 'as a gesture of goodwill' or that they aren't accepting any liability or anything like that. The EMD vouchers are not really any good to us,( it took 3 years to save up to go this time the vouchers are only valid for 12 months!) from what I have read I cannot understand where the £100 has come from but £100 is better than nothing. Are they admitting that they are at fault by offering me this in which case surely I should be entitled to the full £500?
    Any advice would be gratefully received, I am not a money grabber but our holiday of a lifetime started off as a bit of a nightmare and it wasn't our fault.
    Thanks
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any advice would be gratefully received, I am not a money grabber but our holiday of a lifetime started off as a bit of a nightmare and it wasn't our fault.

You are in the wrong forum - there is a US airlines thread, which has others' experiences.

But sounds like you are entitled to 600 Euros each. Read the FAQs on page one which tell you what you need to do. Unlikely to be easy though, and may require you to start legal action (or go with a NWNF company) ...
  • WELLYBOOT0_0
    Options
    Sorry i should have said that we travelled from Heathrow to orlando via Atlanta on Delta flight. Am I still in the wrong bit. Sorry this is my first forum xx
  • Vauban
    Options
    Am I still in the wrong bit. Sorry this is my first forum xx

Yes. Try here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4445417
  • WELLYBOOT0_0
    Options
    Thanks, but I am really confused now because I initially went through Delta but they transferred me to KLM/AirFrance and all my correspondence has been with and through them?!
  • Vauban
    Options
    Thanks, but I am really confused now because I initially went through Delta but they transferred me to KLM/AirFrance and all my correspondence has been with and through them?!

I gather Delta outsource their European correspondence to KLM . But presumably you want to read about how others have farewd with Delta, and you didn't fly with KLM? So read everything on the thread link I posted - including the FAQs on page one. Then you will know what to do!
  • dsp007
    dsp007 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Sent a NBA yesterday afternoon ,received the following email this morning.

Thank you for your recent communication regarding the disruption to your flight KL621 from Amsterdam to Atlanta on 3 April and about which you had already contacted us on.

We have carefully reconsidered your claim and am pleased to inform that, as a gesture of goodwill we will be pleased to make a payment of GBP486 (EUR600) per person.

Please contact me with each adult passenger's full UK bank details, including the IBAN (international bank account number) and BIC/Swift codes.

I have cancelled the electronic vouchers previously issued.

I can assure you that we are well aware of our commitment to provide excellent customer service and so I do hope you will allow us the privilege to serve your travel needs again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

J Silverstone (Mr)
    Customer Care Europe

A little persistence works wonders.
    Many thanks to all those who offered me advice and assistance .
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    dsp007 wrote: »
    We have carefully reconsidered your claim and am pleased to inform that, as a gesture of goodwill we will be pleased to make a payment of GBP486 (EUR600) per person.

I can assure you that we are well aware of our commitment to provide excellent customer service and so I do hope you will allow us the privilege to serve your travel needs again in the near future.

Wow, that was quick and relatively painless.

I think airlines like KLM/AF for-fill their obligations in Europe under EU216 far more gracefully and willingly than our UK counterparts. The airlines generally accept the rules as laid down by 261 and are far less likely to be litigious than here in the UK.

Don't know why they still insist on calling it a gesture of good will tho.

Another reason why I hope Jet2 will get the bloody nose they deserve from the RCJ appeal hearing. It may just force them into line with the rest of Europe and act as a warning to other UK based airlines.

Well done on winning the compensation you deserve.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2014 at 4:04PM
    Options
    Congrats dsp007
    Photoshop job on the go for the hopeful said bloodied nose? ;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family