Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• Chenny
    Options
    Thanks will look into that. I'm not giving up easily!! And yes, we departed very late from Heathrow.
  • jimmyx147
    Options
    Hi all,

Heres my fun experience from last week

I purchased my ticket through KLM to travel from Shanghai (China Eastern) to Heathrow via CDG (Air France).

I was told at Shanghai check in that I would need to get boarding pass for connecting flight when I arrived in CDG (Connecting flight departed one hour after I landed).

Upon arrival in CDG I attempted to print out boarding pass for connecting flight using self service machine, this didnt work and I was told I had to go to the service counter (there was no one available to help and there was an apology message on the large screen stating that systems were being updated). By the time I had done this and eventually got my boarding pass I legged it to the gate only to be told that boarding had been closed and I had missed my connecting flight.

I was then put on the next flight which was also consequently delayed by one hour, so I eventually arrived in Heathrow four hours later than expected then had to rush through London to catch my Liverpool St train.

Air France/KLM are clearly at fault here as their systems were not working corectly, it was impossible for me to get the boarding pass in time. They have given me a reference number to make a claim.

My question is does this experience qualify for delayed flight compensation?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jimmy
  • jimmyx147
    Options
    Hi all,

Heres my fun experience from last week

I purchased my ticket through KLM to travel from Shanghai (China Eastern) to Heathrow via CDG (Air France).

I was told at Shanghai check in that I would need to get boarding pass for connecting flight when I arrived in CDG (Connecting flight departed one hour after I landed).

Upon arrival in CDG I attempted to print out boarding pass for connecting flight using self service machine, this didnt work and I was told I had to go to the service counter (there was no one available to help and there was an apology message on the large screen stating that systems were being updated). By the time I had done this and eventually got my boarding pass I legged it to the gate only to be told that boarding had been closed and I had missed my connecting flight.

I was then put on the next flight which was also consequently delayed by one hour, so I eventually arrived in Heathrow four hours later than expected then had to rush through London to catch my Liverpool St train.

Air France/KLM are clearly at fault here as their systems were not working corectly, it was impossible for me to get the boarding pass in time. They have given me a reference number to make a claim.

My question is does this experience qualify for delayed flight compensation?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jimmy
  • jimmyx147
    Options
    Thanks just posted in the right place.
  • jimmyx147
    Options
    Hi Centipede100,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Is there a template for denied boarding compensation?

Best wishes
    Jimmy
  • jimmyx147
    Options
    Please ignore previous post, found what I was looking for:

Best wishes
    jimmy
  • abc2011
    abc2011 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a claim, read the FAQs on the first page of this thread and in particular the Folkerts case
    Captain99 wrote: »
    As Caz says, read the FAQ's - we had a similar story (but ending up in NY rather than HK). We ended up getting 600 Euros each. You can read my original post #335 (Page 17) and follow up post #401 (page 21) - good luck!.

Thank you both. Have replied to Air France in light of this and they have agreed to give us £500 each.

Result!
  • dsp007
    dsp007 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I was booked on this flight as part of a flight from NCL to FLL.via Amsterdam and Atlanta.
    The second portion of our flight was delayed in Amsterdam for 2 hrs owing to mechanical issues,this resulted in us missing our connecting flight in Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale.We were offered a hotel overnight but that was all,no food,no drinks nothing.

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale some 14 hours late and I have put in a claim for compensation which has been rejected by KLM on the grounds that our delay was only 2 hrs.They have however offered us vouchers to the sum of £200/passenger for any inconvenience caused and for the lack of refreshments.

I have rejected this offer as I believe we are entitled to the full amount of €600/ passenger and have told KLM This.I have also claimed compensation for the loss of my hotel in Fort Lauderdale which I still had to pay for.

Am I correct in thinking that KLM are just trying it on to see if I would accept the vouchers and go away,or should I cut my losses and take their offer.?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should be entitled to €600 each for the delayed arrival at your final destination assuming that your flights were all on one booking.
    You are also entitled to reimbursement of meals whilst waiting - do you have receipts you can send in?
    I do not believe you are entitled to reimbursement of your unused hotel night unless your travel insurance would maybe cover that - the EU compensation is a set amount and airlines are not responsible for consequential losses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure