PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    Hi everyone.I have only just got round to posting my Feb total and I was over again.
    March grocery budget same again please £250.
    I was under my usual budget in Dec when I gave myself a non restricted budget month so why is it so hard to do that again?:confused:
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • kj*daisy
    kj*daisy Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Put me down for £300 again please, going to try and avoid the supermarket more this month to see if that helps.

Already spent £53.53 but only need milk this week now.
    Veg boxes for rest of month will be about £60 so that leaves £186.47 for the rest of the month. £46 per week ish.
    Grocery challenge July £250

45 asd*/
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Not spent much today. £2.36 on milk and 2 x reduced tubs of hummus - managed to resist the reduced cakes, lol.

Will update sig in a min.
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions for the spinach portions. Have printed off the recipe for tuna lasagne, will do that tomorrow. Also like the sound of haddock mornay, although I've never cooked anything like that before, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Oh, and I can't believe I didn't think of a "Stuff Pasta Bake". I already do a mean "Stuff Soup" so I'll bung in the spinach next time I'm having a using up day!

Also have weetabix cake on the menu for tomorrow. I usually buy the own brand 48 pack from Asda, but Tesco only had a 24 pack yesterday, but as I'm passing Asda tomorrow I shall pop in and get some more. It's my breakfast every day when I'm working.

Will update spends tomorrow after the asda trip as I suspect more than weetabix may end up in the basket! Just remembered someone said stardrops for 50p!! :j
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry - late as usual - £350 for me this month please, didn't do too well last month, here we go again. Thanks - Kalojac
  • mum26
    mum26 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    Ok I'll join in this month, I'll try for £325 for the month - 8 of us.

We've already spent some so I shall adjust it tommorow when I check reciepts xx
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can i be put down for £300 again please this month.
    I did really bad last month,but id forgotten that the kids were off and that it was valentines day.:rolleyes:
    I m going to be really good this month.I will ,i will ,i will.:j
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all & congrats to Rachelmk.

Well I am over a week in to March! Running roughly pay day to pay day at the moment.

Second week shop today (having done a big stock up shop at the beginning) & ended up getting a few bits I would not have ordinarily bought as had DD & her friend with me. But still only about a tener, so not too bad. And got some whoopsied (half price) free range turkey breast, which is now in the freezer.

TBH there is not actually a lot of space in either freezer (got the second freezer mid-Jan) & still over 70 HM ‘ready meal’ portions, with only about 20 days to go & DD eating elsewhere half of those. And there is still quite a bit of unused meat & fish in there too.

Re batch cooking I freeze these in individual portions in tubs (mainly MrT value ones!) but I know some have said before that they put the food into bags & then into tubs. Then when frozen can take bag out of tub & put in freezer & reuse tub, thereby not needing too many tubs & takes up less space in freezer.

The main things are (1) freeze in useable size portions – I do individual portions as only need 1 or 2 at a time. (2) label!

Juli
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My lasagne was horrid!!!!! i made it up last week and froze it, next time i will freeze the mince and cheese sauce seperate and make it up from there......i also had no condensed soup for the pasta bake i could have sworn i had a tin of chicken but there is only tomato in the cupboard so the kids had pasta and tuna with grated cheese for tea but at least they enjoyed/ate it.
    i am pigging out on twinks hobnobs i made a batch of 70 on friday and there are only about 10 left so i am going to have a few before the mob polish the lot of them off. Still have my £80 budget intact but will need to do either an online shop or a real one soon.
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all

CONGRATULATIONS rachelmk, what wonderful news, all the best. Have you set a date yet?

Seem to have spent quite alot in the first 2 days of the month, but this seems to happen every month whether I'm on GC or not. I do have good stocks in freezer and storecupboard but it's just being motivated enough to cook from scratch after work etc. Does anyone else find this a chore? I generally love pottering about in the kitchen but after a long day at work sometimes I find this difficult. Now I actually do a menu plan I tend to have something easy on Mondays and Tuesdays (my 2 long days at work) and this seems to help with the stress levels. Tonight we had bangers, mash, carrots, cauli and broccolli with gravy. We don't tend to eat desserts every night - possibly 1 or 2 a week.

Keep safe and well everyone,
    nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills