How often do you chat to your grown up children?

Options

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Eldest 3 or 4 times a week on his way home from work, youngest whilst at uni is every time he leaves halls or lectures (ASD and having me on the other end of the phone helps with his sensory overload and anxiety), middle son (Aspergers) whilst at uni was once in a blue moon.

I visit my parents pretty much every day but then they are needing more support as they get older.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm the "child". I see my mum usually once a week as we both do the same sport on a Saturday & have a coffee. However if weather is bad we won't.

WhatsApp as and when something comes up. With my dad I see him if he is home when i go round due to his shift work. Again whatsapp when something comes up.

Il call maybe once a fortnight to confirm plans and if I'm lucky my dad will answer and we get to chat for a bit too before i speak to my mum.

Sibling sees far more of them and probably makes contact daily. Always has.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to ring my mother occasionally in the evening after work. She'd always tell me she was watching something. ('Tell me on Sunday, when you come for lunch', basically.) :)
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ibizafan wrote: »
    I have two sons (37,33) The youngest lives in Australia with his partner and two young children. The oldest lives in London and is single. Sometimes a couple of weeks go by without communicating with them, and I wondered what other people’s experience is, or are daughters different? I talk to my own mum most days on the phone, although she doesn’t live near me, but she is 88. I don’t personally feel the need to talk to my sons frequently, as we all have busy lives, so am I normal or not? I go to Australia every year for a visit, and Skype, but my sons haven’t lived at home since they went to university, and they obviously both moved away. Opinions would be interesting, and am I a terrible mum?

No you're not. I think that what this shows is that we all have different relationships with our offsprings. I was feeling bad because I whatsapp too much and worry that I am pestering them. But I'm sure they would tell me. I do think it is different if they are married/settled with families of their own. If they are on their own I think it is good for them to receive quick message that someone is thinking of them, especially boys/men.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hate calling my mother, when I do its over in a couple of minutes. Sometimes she goes through phases of calling 2 times a day for a week, then maybe just once a week. I do sometimes not answer because I can't face her.....

Me and DD will instant message daily. Send ridiculous photos to each other, copy each other stories in the news we might like etc or just text 1 line random things. We might speak every other day or maybe 3 times a week.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Options
    My son lives in Sydney. We keep in touch daily by WhatApp messages and maybe physically talk once a month.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughters 24 and 26. We have what’s app chats most days the three of us together, we have separate chats and we have another group chat that includes the partners.
    I see them all together about once a month when we have a family meal, and the youngest at least once a week and eldest about twice a month.
    They all have keys but wouldn’t just pop in without checking what I was doing and vice versa.
    And then any other family occasion that pops up!
    Seems to work well for us and fortunately both the partners get on well and the girls have always been close.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Jaxon2390
    Jaxon2390 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I’m the son (late 20s) and single. I have a group WhatsApp with my mother/brother/brothers wife. We all message in it usually every day or 2. I also speak to my mum every day or 2 on the phone and see her once a week.

My brothers and I have a separate WhatsApp group with our dad and step mum. We probably post in it once every week or 2, and I call them once every 2 weeks, and see them once every 2 months or so.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,640 Forumite
    Options
    gizmo111 wrote: »
    My daughters 24 and 26. We have what’s app chats most days the three of us together, we have separate chats and we have another group chat that includes the partners.
    I see them all together about once a month when we have a family meal, and the youngest at least once a week and eldest about twice a month.
    They all have keys but wouldn’t just pop in without checking what I was doing and vice versa.
    And then any other family occasion that pops up!
    Seems to work well for us and fortunately both the partners get on well and the girls have always been close.

That's interesting. We're the same. DD sends me a message (even if I was away for a few days) to ask if it was OK to pop round and borrow something or whatever. When I'm at home she knocks even though she could let herself in.

A bit off topic but DH and I were discussing something similar earlier. He was getting rid of junk mail and asked if it was OK to open mine. He happened to say how pleased he was that we never opened each others mail and that our DDs were the same.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,635 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have two daughters, one is 32 and the other 33. Eldest lives about 100 miles away and we whats app in family group chat and probably speak on the phone maybe once a week or every 10 days. Sometimes she phones, sometimes I do. My husband rarely initiates phone calls. Youngest lives locally so we see her several times a week and look after grandchildren one day a week. I phone my mum usually each week or she phones me as she lives about 250 miles away.

I don't think you are a terrible mother for not feeling the need to communicate frequently so long as they are ok with that too. Presumably they would contact you as well though. I think boys are worse than girls for phoning and keeping in touch though. My eldest daughter has a busy career and not a lot of free time so I do not like to ring constantly but the odd whats app comment reassures me she is ok. Can you do a what's app family chat group so you can all keep in touch?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure