PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Lovely and sunny here though very cold.:)
    "Pay day" for me today so have been busy sorting out my April finances, the joys of a five week month, Easter and two family birthdays mean it will be a long month.....
    I need to get cracking and do some housework before the invasion starts. I'm really looking forward to having a houseful though I suspect I'll be equally glad come Tuesday when it's just me again;).
    I probably won't be posting much for the next few days, so hope all CFOers have a good weekend:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Early lunch. A tasty dish of sausages & mash with mashed swede and gravy. Very tasty. Portion controlled, it's so difficult looking at food on a plate and thinking "wish you were 2x the size".... but that's life.

In the last two days I've packed away 6 sausage rolls and 250g of choccies, so I can't be greedy all the time!
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Peanut butter on a toasted GF roll for breakfast.

I have some spicy Linda Mc sausages coming in the shopping later that I've never tried before. I will have them with mashed potatoes and veggies. I keep forgetting to buy some GF gravy to see what that is like.

I have jam tarts and custard for pudding.:cool:

We aren't doing much for Easter, just staying in and eating and watching TV.:D I didn't even buy myself an Easter egg, I have one for my husband. Milky bar, I think I bought.:p
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 March 2018 at 1:18PM
    Options
    I don't want to look like some weirdo that's built the Berlin Wall .... but I'll have to do that.
    I actually do have a right of way across my garden but it is solely for the use of the occupiers of the house that I back onto. Fortunately they have hardly ever had reason to use it. But after moving in I found that the world and his wife were passing through. It turned out that the one day a week village post office operates from the house in question and some residents above me were taking a shortcut to collect their pensions. Plus the neighbour cooks for the monthly Soup and Sweet at the village hall and people were bringing and collecting spare dishes etc. My cottage had been unoccupied for years so people had got used to doing it.
    A quick telephone call to the solicitor confirmed that the right of way was solely for the occupants and only in connection with the use of their home as a private residence. Was advised to inform everyone that it was private though I could let them through on an 'as and when' permission basis. Otherwise I risked it becoming a general right of way.
    I had to have 'the conversation' with so many village stalwarts - including the Chair of the Parish council who would send his daughter to collect his pension. Even the post office was not allowed through on it's weekly visits next door. To avoid mixed messages, I went for zero tolerance. It took some time for the message to get out, so for a while I had to dash out like a mad woman and apprehend anyone passing through. :eek:
    I too was concerned how I would look. Can you imagine - what a way for the village newbie to start. :rotfl:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Porridge, HM yoghurt + FMS for breakfast

Back home again, shops getting busier I thought, nothing special worth buying, except W/r Cheddar cheese offer, £4 kilo. bought a pack, I like cheese and it keeps despite the drop dead dates

Lunch I went with the LO HM spud salad, added diced fag end of the cucumber, sliced tom & bits of lettuce, plus cheese chunks, bit of curry powder 'cos I fancied trying it. Voila! One pot Coronation cheese salad;)

Actually it was very tasty, but never to be repeated because it was a bitsa jobby

Raining again, dinner will be warming Hygge LO pie, and I fancy baked beans, not had them for a while. Pie & beans, CFO heaven:j
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2018 at 2:43PM
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    I actually do have a right of way across my garden but it is solely for the use of the occupiers of the house that I back onto. Fortunately they have hardly ever had reason to use it. But after moving in I found that the world and his wife were passing through. It turned out that the one day a week village post office operates from the house in question and some residents above me were taking a shortcut to collect their pensions. Plus the neighbour cooks for the monthly Soup and Sweet at the village hall and people were bringing and collecting spare dishes etc. My cottage had been unoccupied for years so people had got used to doing it.
    A quick telephone call to the solicitor confirmed that the right of way was solely for the occupants and only in connection with the use of their home as a private residence. Was advised to inform everyone that it was private though I could let them through on an 'as and when' permission basis. Otherwise I risked it becoming a general right of way.
    I had to have 'the conversation' with so many village stalwarts - including the Chair of the Parish council who would send his daughter to collect his pension. Even the post office was not allowed through on it's weekly visits next door. To avoid mixed messages, I went for zero tolerance. It took some time for the message to get out, so for a while I had to dash out like a mad woman and apprehend anyone passing through. :eek:
    I too was concerned how I would look. Can you imagine - what a way for the village newbie to start. :rotfl:

No ROW in my garden - but I'd read all the same sort of stuff you've obviously read about it being risky to let other people trespass in my garden like they were doing right, left and centre. I also went for zero tolerance and wished they hadn't put the "newbie" in that position like that. In my case - I could see that stuff I was putting in my garden would also land up being damaged or moved. In fact there was a bit of damage to my stuff before I managed to stop the shenanigans.

I know exactly where you're coming from on that one.:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I have some spicy Linda Mc sausages coming in the shopping later that I've never tried before.

I've had her Red Onion/Rosemary ones in the past when they were in L1dl for £1/pack ...they were really really nice ...but I've not tried her others and wouldn't at full price in case I didn't like them. :)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 29 March 2018 at 2:51PM
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    .... To avoid mixed messages, I went for zero tolerance....

It took some time for the message to get out, so for a while I had to dash out like a mad woman and apprehend anyone passing through.
    I too was concerned how I would look. Can you imagine - what a way for the village newbie to start.

This is the trouble, you DO have to go for zero tolerance else you get "creep" again and you're back where you started.

One neighbour has to drag their bin out of their gate, over my parking turning spot (I own freehold) and over 3 more freehold strips of land, round to the front of their house. It'd be really easy if they could just leave it outside their gate, just 8' from where mine is .... but rules is rules. That is MY land - and that is not their "Council designated bin pick up spot" (which the Council have a map of if you do it wrong).

If you put your bin in the wrong spot the binmen write to everybody ... and if I let one do it others might think "that's neat if we all put them there in one spot" - and if I allowed one neighbour to do it they might then start to do other things in that space and treat it "as their own" ...and, over time, could be a nuisance.

There are four neighbours here who are supposed to take their bins out their back gate, to line up side by side on the corner - and then take into their gardens the same day. The problem is there are 3 bins apiece and they mostly leave them out the back - and the binmen turn up and can't easily get them down the (bin-width wide walk strip) to the bin wagon as there are two cars parked (legally/correctly) alongside, so the binmen run the risk of scraping cars. So we all got a letter telling us all "you're not putting your bins out correctly, or away on time...." which is annoying when it's not everybody, but four.... but they did provide a nifty map. However, since then, of those four houses, 3 have now changed residents so they're probably back to square 1.

So, unfortunately, until you've got a solid voice and are sure of individuals you can't just "live and let live" as you can create future problems for yourself.

I have always made my position perfectly clear on every occasion I witnessed a breach and, over time, these lessened... but with ever-changing neighbours and behaviours there's always something else to try to spot and get on top of.... and it's not easy, but it must be done else you do get walked over.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yesterday I cooked a pork loin joint from the travelling butcher. Plus I got a delivery from Sainsbobs and had it with fresh veg from that. I'm always wary of online orders - you can't pick out the fresh produce like you can in a shop and sometimes they take liberties. The broccoli was on offer and very cheap so I was suspicious and didn't get much. Wish I had got twice as much of that and the potatoes however as they were the best I have had in a long while. :j Having more of the same tonight plus some Punt e Mes which I have to get online.
    Been fretting about a metallic rattle from underneath the car when I go over bumps. Garage can't fit me in till Tuesday and have been worried about using the car in the meantime (hence the Sainsbobs delivery). I asked for opinions online and the common view was that it might be a loose heat shield.
    However this afternoon I checked under the boot carpet and found an old lead that had belonged to my last dog, rattling around the spare wheel. Need to take the car out to check but it might have been that all along - in which case I qualify for today's prize numpty award. Maybe it's a communication from beyond the grave. :eek:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I bought a PIR doorbell I've been playing around with, but it has to be outside and isn't weather proof...I've put it in a few spots to try, but it's often too windy. Earlier today I thought I'd cut the bottom off a 1 pint milk bottle and see if it fits in that, for a bit of wind protection/disguise/weather proofing... just placed that in its first spot to see if that's a winner or another idea that needs further work.

Yesterday I happened to be plating up my dinner when I saw the little imp... I'm rarely in there, so the PIR will alert me to anything that moves into my space, theoretically, so I can go out and give it "OI!!" :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback