PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh. P.S. If anybody fancied a mini oven .... as we've talked of them in the past, the L1dl one's for sale from Tuesday 2nd, price has gone up a bit as it's £34.99 now.

Personally, if I HAD to buy another of those again I would as I've used mine almost daily for over 3 years now .... but, given time/research I'd see what the price is on others, just in case there was one with an interior light or with the bottom elements "less exposed"... but I'd probably find those cost £70-100 and so end up buying the L1dl one again.

But if you're up for a quick/easy £35 fix ... next week.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,232 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 March 2018 at 3:47PM
    Options
    I need a "chunky handle" on a tin opener. About 11/12 years ago I bought one at Asda for about £4-5 or so.... works a treat. As I have tiny hands I really need to get a good grip and give it a go. Being small I don't have much body weight to chuck behind actions, so chunkier grips/handles on things work best for me when trying to apply my best efforts.

This looks like mine, looks like they don't sell them any more!
    https://groceries.asda.com/product/cooking-utensils-food-preparation/george-home-softgrip-can-opener/910000483079

I also have one of that type, for opening FB pie tins
    Mine is OXO good grips, mine was from Robert Dyas but it is like this, works a treat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Handled-Opener/dp/B00004OCJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522248301&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+tin+opener

PS a second for the Lild mini oven if anyone looking
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been shopping, to Ald! , got the parsnips, onions,swede for 19 p .got 2 bags of 29 p potatoes.
    At home I then chopped the 5 onions I already had in they've gone in the freezer along with 2 peppers . The parsnips I'm going to make soup with.
    My salmon is in the oven with green pesto sauce, lo pots in with it, and I'm having green beans carrot and swede alongside.
    I've copied a couple of recipes from the net , into my binder, I always think I'll remember them and I don't, so I've made notes.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love fresh basil, so bought that and coriander, to add punch to recipes. My problem is although it sits on kitchen window sill I forget to use it so tonight I've pulled of basil leaves and washed them ready, guess what I've just washed up and they're still sat there!
    Ald! And Asd@ here were both empty, we actually commented on the car park !
    Wish I'd bought the carrots now, thought I had more than I had.
    Asd@ had beef on offer, we used to buy at easter and other events when on offer and hubby would cut into smaller pieces ,usually 2 or 3 from each joint.
    In fact it's those that I'm still eating from the freezer, only now the cooked beef goes back in for another day.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I went into 4ldi .... picked up the spuds/29p ....then put them back and thought I CBA ... and I'm wondering now how long they're at that price for. I figured it might be another week to go.

I bought sausages (a change from sausage rolls) .... eggs, milk (in case I fancy a yorkie) ... and bread rolls.

Ate a bread roll with marg on it.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 28 March 2018 at 6:30PM
    Options
    On 24th Feb I bought 2.5Kg spuds and had put them in the green bag and used some.... but I knew there were more in there. And I'd not got round to looking at them as I feared they'd be manky and nasty .... so I kept not looking at them.

Seeing the spuds earlier today forced me to look at them - and they're as good as the day they went into the cupboard. So I've just peeled/cooked about half of them, but then the steamer was full, so just 3 left. So, on the one hand, I won't need to buy any more .... on the other hand I'll regret "not being able to" as they're so cheap. I'll see if they're still on for another week and might get some next week ... but I don't want to be back to square one with too many spuds to get through (again).

EDIT: Cooked/mashed the spuds and divided it into two portions, plus a bit "left over to eat now" .... and it was gorgeous ... so now I've put some sausages on to cook and I'll have bangers/mash in a bit :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Money I hope your delivery arrived today or have you been driven to beer again ;)
    PN glad your dentist trip turned out successful, because I grind my teeth I find if I miss a 6 month check up I have problems I'm luck to have a good nhs dentist.

lunch should have been a wrap with lo pork, coleslaw and salad leaves except when I got to work I realised I had left the wrap sitting on worktop at home :( I had planned to assemble at work so it was pork salad for lunch, too wet to walk to SM.

Was very nearly pheasant for dinner those stupid birds can fly but instead dance on the verge and then make a run for it :eek: luckily nothing behind me so I could practice emergency stops. Unfortunately spring means daft animals on country roads at least now the clocks have gone forwards lm less likely to get up close and personal with Bambi for a few months.

Think I'm going to use the wrap to make a quick pizza I have some salami or it could be Parma ham in the fridge maybe pesto instead of tomato base.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

I was late for a meeting once due to a flock of grouse! (Beside a farm aptly named "Grouse Corner" :rotfl:) There were lots and lots of them in the middle of the road and unfortunately myself and another drive coming the opposite way arrived on either side of them at the same time. What ensued was like something from "Chicken Run", they would seem to decide to leg to one side, then one would decide that was a bad idea and head back which they then all followed. Myself and the other driver were in fits of laughter as this went on and on. I had visions of being there for hours. Eventually after much signalling we got out our cars and managed to get them of the road. I think it was the best excuse I ever had for being late for something....

Tin openers are the bane of my life (a bit like cork screws;)), I'm always breaking them both cheap and expensive including one tagged as "unbreakable", got my money back on that one:rotfl::rotfl:. Now I buy the cheap butterfly ones in pairs so I always have a spare...

As a family we have always made quite a big thing of Easter Sunday, not in the scale of Christmas but a good "eat, drink and be merry" gathering. When I was small my Dad used to dye hard boiled eggs which us kids would decorate, he then he hid them about the house & garden for an egg hunt after which the eggs were rolled to break the shells. I continued this with my kids and quite often we would also have an egg & spoon race before rolling (any that were still unbroken)them. We are not a religious family and the get together is more a celebration of the end of the dark Winter and coming Spring. I think I've got my grocery shop sorted for the long weekend, I've 4 to feed for a few days and 9 on Sunday so needless to say it's big order!
    Socially getting together is my friends and family preferred way of enjoying ourselves and it works well for me given my current circumstances:). The kids seem to enjoy it too as they are now of an age that they could easily opt out if they didn't want to come:D.

I've still not decided what to do with the savoury mince tonight, possibly a repeat of last night or have it on toast with a poached egg:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just had my tea nearly spoilt - I nearly threw it in the bin as I'm "too perturbed to feel like eating", but I forced it down me anyway.

I'd just served it onto the plate and a kid ran past my window - that means she's in my garden.... so I had to open the blinds and bang on the window until she eventually appeared (it's a corner she went round) ... and I gave it some gesticulations and she farqed off.

Fed up with this relentless stupidity.

Anything unexpected/unusual puts me on edge for 2-3 days.... so I'll now be "jumpy" for days.

Feral nuisance brats.
    Och PN - can you not block off how they get in, my Dad used to (current family next to him are lovely thankfully) have a real problem with this. A locking gate sorted it.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was once nearly late for work due to a family of white peacocks dithering in the road there's a lane near me which is a short cut to the main road only one house with fields the other side last year they decided the field was better than the large garden they live in. By the time I could inch my way pass them there were about 16 cars waiting. Not sure if my excuse was believed as my boss 's surname is peacock :rotfl:

PN sorry you've been unsettled as Caronc suggested can you block their access
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback