PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...i think the hm blackberry jam made from free blackberries should be titled....hand selected organic hedgerow preserve cooked by hand....we could make a fortune

i went out and picked some damsons today....3 and a bit lb so am going to make jam from them....also got some crab apples so am going to try making jelly from those...havent tried that before so will be interesting to see how it turns out

i cooked some lidl diced beef in the sc and it smells great...i havent tried their meat before so hopefully it will taste nice...it had 30% off so was a bit of a bargain

take care
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • booskyeboo
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you have all had a good, albeit rainy day (well here anyway)
    I have spent another £10.15 at Mr M's today needed a few bits (walnuts for the courgette muffins) nomnom! and sugar as I was given some plums yesterday and have been busy making jam and plum crumbles I have also dry sugar packed some for the freezer.:)
    WW start date 31/8/2011 :j

weight lost so far:- 32lbs :T
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 August 2009 at 8:38AM
    Options
    MrsM
    Please put me down for £250

Came in way under last month as DD away with BF and his family. Spent £140 less:j
    I now know how much one 19 year old girl and her BF cost me each month on food.:eek:

Shes back next week and her eating habits will be changing!!!

good luck everyone
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am going to budget £270 for September. As I came under budget by £45 I thought I would take 10% of my orginal target of £300 for September, hope my not being to amb*** and end up falling flat on my face.

This is for 2 adults, DS 4 years, DD 5 months for all food, toiletries, cleaning materials, alcohol, medication etc.

Off now to catch up with this thread.

To keep me with in budget I am going to:
    • Keep up with this thread
    • Keep all reciepts
    • Meal plan
    • Do an inventory of Freezers
    • Try not to do a grocery shop before 11th
    • keep a running total of spends
    I know this is what most of you do but I need to work on them :o

Good luck everyone with your budgets
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Just popped into the local co-op and spent £8 but got the following

2 x Jaffa Cake Biscuits
    2 x 6 pack Quavers
    2 x 6 pack Wotsits
    9 pack Wheat Crunchie Crisps
    4 pack Cheese Strings
    2 x Petite filous Yog Tubes [9 packs]

All put away for when school starts in a week and saved £5 on original prices

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Evening everyone ...

ooooohhh look at me -not posting until page 6 -Im slipping :rotfl:

5 days in and all NSDs so far ;) -I will be needing some potatoes and onions soon ..... I think I can make it to wednesday...

Today was roast chicken with roast potatoes, steamed carrots, beans peas and sweetcorn -
    so I will strip the rest of the chicken off tomorrow, make some stock and use some of the chicken to make chicken salad tortilla wraps for tuesday. The rest will get turned into a cobbler for wednesday and tomorrow Im making lasagne as I have roast some tomatoes n courgettes today and blitzed with a dollop of marscapone that needed using :D -so that has got me to at least wednesday without using potatoes :rotfl:and I have enough spuddlies for 1 meal so will use them on thursday with a feta salad -corrrrrr that gets me to thursday :p hold on -I will make one of hubbies faves...Pizza on Friday ..so thats me not shopping before Friday evening (pinkies crossed):j..the lengths I go too to stay out of the shops ;)
    We picked some more blackberries today and I have cooked them down with sugar -so thats 2 more big blackberry "bakewells" that will be made and frozen in pieces mmmmmmmmm
    I have about 4lb of tomatoes from the garden so I might turn the chicken stock into cream of tomato soup for the freezer -If I can wedge it in there somewhere...
    heck I waffle :o..anyway I will get off for now -hope everyone has got off to a good start :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Carried on with the batch cooking today & have stashed individual portions of sausage casserole, sausage & lentils, beef lasagne & Moroccan chicken into the freezer.

Still have fish lasagne & moussaka to do off the current plan. Could have probably done them today, but it is a holiday weekend, so took it fairly gently. Have a whole chicken for tomorrow & that’ll do dinner, cold meat for lunches, leftovers (& the last few mushrooms) for a pie & of course stock from the carcass. Have loads of carrots, so will do a carrot soup from the stock.

Running low on some basics like onions & canned toms now. Will do a full inventory once I have completed the cooking.
  • soupfan
    soupfan Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    5 days in and all NSDs so far ;)

What are NSD's please?
    Grocery Challenge (food and cleaning products).
    Sept 09 £247.35/£63.50
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    soupfan wrote: »
    What are NSD's please?
    Hi there
    They are No Spend Days :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Miss-spent_2
    Options
    Hi, I have some really hard challenges this month
    1 Start new job Tuesday
    2 Start diet/fitness regime
    3 Make every day a NSD unless it is groceries
    4 No clothes to be bought
    5 Grocery budget of £125 for 3 adults and a cat.

Phew I know I'm being hard on myself but I need to recoup some of the money we have spent this summer.
    Already spent over £58 of budget but well stocked up.
    Local store had Felix pouches-2 boxes of 12 £5.50 so I bought 4 and used two 50p off vouchers so only £10 spent. With the box and biscuits I already have that might do.
    Still need to get some Dishwasher tablets and some MR Muscle shower bleach stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure