BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH

Options

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    From the supermarket point of view I think Traf has hit the nail on the head by saying it is a security issue. It might also all be down to procedures that may be insisted on by supermarkets insurance companies. I have no first hand knowledge of this though.

From a cashiers point of view they handle a new transaction every few minutes. Probably 95+% of these are straight forward and then comes one were there is a cashback. The cashier is just going through the motions and, like the customer, the mind is focused on the standard side of things: ring stuff through; swipe rewards card, swipe cashback card; wait for till receipt; wait for card docket; get docket signed; open drawer; put in signed docket; close drawer; wait for money off vouchers; hand receipt and vouchers to customer... and they forget...mistakes happen. I still say the onus is on the customer to be more vigilant after all it is their money.

Remember that this is a service offered by the supermarkets and if it becomes too awkward to administer, results in too many complaints or becomes a security risk then (as has happened in the past) it will be withdrawn. I was going to add that supermarkets are not banks ... but nowadays most of them do appear to be ;D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i do use my card for cashback, due to the hole in the wall outside supermarket being in a dodgy place, and agree with most points put here both for and against. What I think needs to be found is a comprimise. I don't think its easy being a checkout assistant, and like Ivan says you must get into a routine of doing things, then a cashback comes along and throws you out of sequence. However, the supermarkets must be making money from this from the people who do just genuinley forget to collect it. In my observation a lot of tills nowadays have slots to slide in credit card slips etc without opening the till, would it be so difficult for us to sign for the shopping payment, open the till, give us our cash, then initial and slide reciept through this slot, therefore avoiding the need to open the till twice, ensuring we have our money and a happier ending for all. are there any other suggestions out there?
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    they wouldn't have to open till twice
    when they open it 1st time they hand you cash and then you sign the receipt
    Then they have to open it again to put the signed receipt back in or leave it open while you sign ............which is a security issue.It would be good to have first-hand experience from an employee.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    how very odd that last night (just after reading this thread) i left work and went to morrisons for some food and cashback (its nearer to me than the bank) only to see my cashback not given to me.

now maybe i was lucky and was thinking about it because of this thread, but i noticed that he had forgotten my dosh and closed the till after i had signed.

now i normally wander round in a daze anyway so i know i would have forgotten about the cash until it was needed the next morning. ;D

very unfair system and i shall be bolshy from now on i think.

simone
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • ajdandcjd
    Options
    well I have to say that this one annoys me too, I also say "ok give me my money and then I'll sign for it" after all, you are signing to say that you have received your money so why would you sign first. I normally get a surly look but I still get my money first!!!
  • leepotton
    Options
    I understand what has been said but they never TELL you you MUST sign before getting the money but as you're signing for your shopping it obviously makes sense to initial the cashback at the same time.

From experience I think the till is open whilst you do the signing so it's all one smooth operation for you and them....nice and quick and convenient.

So, I would argue that WE encourage that by signing out of convenience beforehand so if we rush out and forget for the very short period it all happens then tough! We deserve the hassle of going back in to convince them they owe us money.

I'm quite sure if you wait until the cash is given before you initial the receipt they wouldn't bat an eyelid. They may think you're untrustworthy or just that if it's that much of an issue then you probably shouldn't have a card in the first place!
    Charles J
  • Lopo
    Lopo Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,...

Muppet theory all this and thinking about it will make you go round in circles...! It’s a fine line that is not that serious but I can imagine and understand it is annoying when it does occur. The process could be tweaked but how so it is faultless is tough to resolve. Cashiers have a lot more responsibility than is often perceived on the other side of the counter...there is lots going on as detailed in another post earlier...all I can say is those who are quick to criticise, please try it for yourself and see the other side, its chaos sometimes!

I used to work in a supermarket in my younger while studying years so I have some exposure to this...

The additional signature is to confirm that you have requested a cashback transaction to occur and to highlight that fact. Without this, the security issue is that a "dodgy" cashier can quite easily process another cashback only transaction, forge the signature (since they have your original copy) and simply pocket it. Bank statements often indicate the cashback portion as a separate transaction so it is easy to ignore/disregard or difficult to dispute. It was an alarmingly frequent occurrence where I used to work, but the individual eventually always got caught as the paper trail soon meant cameras would be watching them for the next daring venture! Dare I say it, but it was mostly the dubious student part-timers thinking they were way ahead of the system. No I'm not saying they are all dodgy!!

It’s a process that still can be manipulated even with the additional signature. However, it's continued purpose I can only guess is that it does still act as an indicator/reminder that you have physically received or yet to receive the cash and I believe is worthwhile doing so as it is protection for both the supermarket and customer.

Chip and Pin ideally should do away with the security risk aspect of dodgy cashiers, but not everyone is there yet.

At the end of the day though, the onus surely is on the customer requesting/offered the cashback.. It’s your money. If you’re not clued up to remembering to take it with you then don’t request it in the first place. It’s a service that may be offered and simply be declined.

You don’t walk into a bank and forget to walk out with the money? Why is it solely the cashiers fault if they offer you cashback, then forget to give it to you...a lot goes on sometimes. You don’t get stopped by a cashpoint as you pass by asking you to take out money to then forget it!! !

Even if you did forget to take the money from the cashpoint, then its a case of contacting your bank, perhaps that branch in particular who will then verify the cashpoint still had/retained the excess amount and you get it back eventually assuming nobody in the queue behind you pocketed it!! What’s the difference here, its just as you would return to the supermarket, a till check would be required... Tough luck really....

The till check has to be done....no two ways about it even if the cashier recalls the error. Its there to flush out and confirm the error, or the potential thief being the customer or cashier. Yes - customers have been known to try it on or forget they have misplaced the cash in another pocket, purse...etc....

As stated in another post, you go to a bank for a withdrawal, sign confirmation that the sum is correct, then having received the cash, checked it and then leave....simple! Do the same when getting cashback!!

To say supermarkets are making money from this is bizarre - they simply would not want to risk losing a customer for the sake of upto £50 or whatever the cahback limit is these days!! Supermarkets margins are quite thin, even though they rake the cash in, its about loyalty, and there is zero logic in alienating customers in such a fashion. Excess money unclaimed is often given to their chosen charities following a good length of time.

Be vigilant at the end of the day. We're all only human, mistakes happen.

Lopo - with my 2 pence worth!
    Beware Lego Men with Deep pockets...! :cool:
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if you did forget to take the money from the cashpoint, then its a case of contacting your bank, perhaps that branch in particular who will then verify the cashpoint still had/retained the excess amount and you get it back eventually assuming nobody in the queue behind you pocketed it!!   What’s the difference here, its just as you would return to the supermarket, a till check would be required...   Tough luck really....

The till check has to be done....no two ways about it even if the cashier recalls the error.  Its there to flush out and confirm the error, or the potential thief being the customer or cashier.  Yes - customers have been known to try it on or forget they have misplaced the cash in another pocket, purse...etc....

I understand that, but what I tried to say in my post was that my mum was made to feel like a thief when she said she hadn't received her cashback.

And when they found that they'd made a mistake and she hadn't been given her cashback (yes, she'd made a mistake too by not reminding the cashier, but they still made a mistake) they didn't apologise!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Lopo
    Lopo Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    That was a generic post by the way with a flow of my logic and experience! - IMHO

Not directed at anyone in particular (or juno)...!

:)
    Beware Lego Men with Deep pockets...! :cool:
  • continuity
    Options
    I thought the reason for initialing the receipt was to show you'd asked for cashback. Otherwise some dastardly check-out person could put cashback on your card and swipe the money without you noticing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure