Is it time to ban Christmas presents? Blog and poll discussion

Options

Comments

• battyboimatt
    Options
    Oh people need to get a grip, next it will be ban easter eggs at easter, and dont do this and that, Banning xmas presents and such, I bet Martin isn't short of a bob or two and I bet he buys xmas presents for his wife and such, oh dont tell me, no instead hes going to say get me nothing, and when she does actually get him something, he will decline, yeah right... It always happens, even when you tell people not to bother they still do, The thing is not to ban christmas but to educate people in the family of what is acceptable and not, like this year I have told my parents a nice dressing down and slippers would be nice and maybe a dvd or something, but not to spend lots of cash on everyone, my sister is the same, she has told them she wants nothing but to buy the little ones something like a board game etc.... Ban Christmas, bar humbug...there should be more pressing matters to discuss than something so trvial than xmas.
  • teenee60
    Options
    I have saved a lot of money from this website,i needed to,but we are a small independant card & gift retailer,we have been hanging on by the seat of our pants,waiting for people to start buying for christmas,and he puts out something like this.
    This will really get the economy going (not)
    Thanks martin lewis.
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I completely agree with the main article. The adults that I know have not been giving each other presents for ages now. Instead we use the money to go out for meals together.

The children get presents. They don't get anything extra for Christmas. Just what they were to going to get anyway except I have kept them back for a month or two and wrapped it up for Christmas. I found some great Ben10 reading scheme books from BookPeople offer & a few good educational toys from the 2nd hand shop. He will be getting them.

Christmas has been come a great money making exercise for the shops which continue to advertise more ways of getting everyone to purchase more and more for each other. Shops are continuing to expand this gift giving market to all the other celebrations like Easter, Valentine, Mother/Fathers day etc. Its NOT about going down to the shops and giving more unwanted stuff to our love ones. Its about getting together, enjoying each other's company and learning a bit about what the event/celebrations is about! 2/3 of presents are unwanted so don't waste your money and your time buying more stuff.

I used to feel that every time I went on holiday I had to buy everyone I knew a present. I used to get stressed out trying to think of what to get everyone and spend 1/2 my holiday buying stuff. Then one day I thought NO why am I doing this? So I stopped. I now enjoy my holiday much more now. I write everyone a postcard and then visit everyone/call and spend time talking about my trip.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh people need to get a grip, next it will be ban easter eggs at easter, and dont do this and that, Banning xmas presents and such, I bet Martin isn't short of a bob or two and I bet he buys xmas presents for his wife and such, oh dont tell me, no instead hes going to say get me nothing, and when she does actually get him something, he will decline, yeah right... It always happens, even when you tell people not to bother they still do, The thing is not to ban christmas but to educate people in the family of what is acceptable and not, like this year I have told my parents a nice dressing down and slippers would be nice and maybe a dvd or something, but not to spend lots of cash on everyone, my sister is the same, she has told them she wants nothing but to buy the little ones something like a board game etc.... Ban Christmas, bar humbug...there should be more pressing matters to discuss than something so trvial than xmas.

The message is not ban Christmas but ban Christmas presents!

My father 10 years ago announced that he did not want any more Christmas presents. I like yourself was completely in the present giving routing just of the sake of it and continued to do so for a year or 2; but then I realised that I should not be giving him things when he really did not want anything. Now years later I am the same and the family/friends around me are coming to the same way of thinking too. We want to reduce waste mainly from a greener point of view and the side effect of being greener is that we save out money and also save out limited free time. We now spend this money & time on meals out together during Christmas.

My son is having his birthday soon & I want to reduce the waste of getting presents so we are asking for recycle presents (they give my son something from their own toy collection that they no longer want and they think my son would like) or a donation to his present list, or no present at all. We did the recycle present last year & my son got loads of present that he liked. Anything not needed we gave to our local charity shop.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • this is going to sound tight, but i always buy my xmas cards at the end of every xmas. there half price and they seem to look the same every year so nobody knows. we know xmas is coming so we should start buying early and safe some money . there are good bargains out there.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Last Christmas was a really difficult one for our family. We in the past have been the worst culprits when it came to being extravagent with Christmas gifts. However, in November of last year my husband lost his job and as we were already struggling with debt we were in deep whatsit. Although he managed to get another job just before Christmas it wasnt in time for us to recover. We had lost a lot of money and increased the debt just to pay our mortgage. I therefore told the whole family that we would be buying no presents at all. We had no Christmas tree or decorations and a very modest joint of lamb for Christmas dinner. I suppose you are all expecting me to say that we had a wonderful day but the truth is we didn't. There was no Christmas magic, no air of happiness in the house. With no tree or presents in the house there was something missing and everyone seemed miserable and depressed without anything to do except watch tv.

This year our debts are paid off by scrimping and scraping and I have some savings specifically for Christmas. I will not be going overboard but I shall make damn sure we have a tree and small gifts around it, a turkey and all the trimmings etc. I'm going for happy medium rather than overboard this year. No debt after Christmas, no Xboxes or tvs but I shall buy small gifts for the extended family and hope everyone in the near family is happy this year.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Fuzzybear1976
    Options
    I love giving presents but I don't feel that I have to spend lots. Don't they say that giving is for the giver rather than the receiver? I work hard all year and I love giving my loved ones gifts....so long as they appreciate it that is.
  • Fuzzybear1976
    Options
    Come on Martin......bah humbug...you know what happened in the Dickens classic when Scrooge got too tight.....money can be fun. Plus you don't have to spend to give, you can make something or grow something or just use your imagination if you're a bit strapped. Give a gift of babysitting but give something to the important folk in your life....I once read (I think it was a buddhist book) that you should make a point of giving a little something everytime you meet up with someone, even if its a flower or some specially thought out kind words.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My parents always had a fair way of dealing with the "presents for children / grandchildren" issue - my brother's children got presents, and I got presents because I didn't have children, i.e. they would spend roughly the same on both their children's "families" but the actual allocation would differ. So this year, I am expecting to receive very little in my own name but instead the majority of gifts will be for our baby son, their grandson.

That being said .........
    candice56 wrote: »
    This year I have been surprised at the peer pressure on me to buy for my (now) 5 and half month old son, 5 MONTHS!!! I said from the start I wouldnt gt him anything because he doesn't know any better <snip>

I personally would agree with you - how on earth will Andrew (four months by Christmas) understand and appreciate the idea of gifts? But it's an argument I won't win in this house :o and so I look on it as "advance buying" of toys that we'd naturally get as the year progressed anyway, rather than extra toys.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • jenhugs
    jenhugs Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    Completley agree Martin, in fact Oh and I where just talking about this last week when we where discussing our christmas list. We always buy for our two god children and god childrens mother always buy for our two £10 each. I have decided that I am going to speak to my friend and suggest that we no longer do this tome it does not make sense. 's Yes itss nice to choose gifts but we should just spend this on our own family.
    Also for my family we do a secret santa, we only buy for one person each rather then 10, and this year oh and I are not buying for one another....Bar humbug lol .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback