Options

Comments

• Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 November 2018 at 11:57PM
    Options
    Thanks Beanie. Life moves on :rotfl:

Well to be more accurate it moves on a bit, starts making a bit of noise and a smell of smoke ......and then turns a red cog on.

Oh no, that wasn't life, that was the car!

YES yesterday was exciting (this is a technique I have taught the 'fear of flying' friend). When you are frightened of something or it is going wrong. You fake EXCITED because excited comes from the same part of the brain as fear (TBF Fiona Phillips should claim credit as it was her documentary on fear I was watching 'rather appropriately' on a plane).:rotfl:

So you will remember last week I was dealing with a property we manage. This property which I had to visit is on a 1:4. It's so steep I get excited when I have to turn the car round. Infact VERY EXCITED. Excited that the car may turn over. Yes, irrationally excited.

So yesterday driving to work, an inordinate number of miles away. I got about 6 miles on to the motorway, where the rev counter decided to go beserk, then I could smell burning, then this red cog came on on the dashboard. I took that NOT to be a sign that I am a very important cog in the Universe in general.

I did a bit of limping and coaxing and saying "I'm sorry I forgot to put oil in last week but that light had only flickered on and off". When the limping coaxing and talking to an inanimate object didn't work I got right off the motorway, off the hard shoulder and walked back to one of those phone's so they could place exactly where I was.

I have learnt. The last time the above happened I was on a flyover with no hard shoulder in a Fiat Punto. By the time I made it off, about 1/4 mile, the engine had already cooked. Because FIAT are SO SO NICE :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: they don't do reconditioned engines, but very kindly flew me one in from Italy for £1.5k.

So I have learnt. Only had to stand in the cold for about an hour (still got My duolingo Spanish done for the day :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:) next to the phone so that if someone did kill me they also had to take the telephone out. Bloomin cold it was - didn't warm up until about 4pm....and then had to go and stand at the bus stop to go to the cinema!

Anyway the company have subsidised membership of the RAC so rang for that. Once we established the clutch had gone he gave me an option of garages to go to. So we took it to the one in my village and then I got a lift home. Only question now (which I really should have googled) is how much is a new clutch!

The other good news is that I've decided to put the solar panels on the back of the house (so they don't put off any purchasers should I decide to sell at some point). This means there is 7 instead of 8. Maybe the difference will pay for my clutch!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Butti
    edited 28 November 2018 at 12:00AM
    Options
    Oh and I needed a hire car for today for my site meeting. Was preparing for videoing the car when I picked it up, to catch any dents or marks. Didn't bother. It's a white car with NO DENTS and pretty much NO MARKS.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

and then as I came out of the car hire place I got the junction completely wrong and nearly turned right to go the wrong way round a roundabout.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am wondering if they performed a lobotomy the other month rather than a partial thyroidectomy.

Anyway must go to bed...l need to get this pristeen car back in pristeen condition tomorrow. More EXCITEMENT in my life!

HOW MUCH EXCITEMENT CAN A GIRL TAKE
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Butti. Please think of your dear readers
    How much excitement can we take?
    The whole thing sounds just blooming dire.
    Hope today is a better day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Butti. Please think of your dear readers
    How much excitement can we take?
    The whole thing sounds just blooming dire.
    Hope today is a better day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Butti
    edited 28 November 2018 at 11:04AM
    Options
    Here's a tip for you with hire cars. If you have done no damage and they are going to pay you your deposit sometime in the future. If you have asked If they are going to sign something to say you have returned it in perfect condition and they aren't.

Take a two times walk around the car with the video camera running.
    Inadvertently it is also good if you happened to have taken a picture of the car at the house so they can't argue that what you are showing is the before photo.

The car company seem fine but better to be safe than sorry!
    48% off mortgage

• Butti
    edited 28 November 2018 at 8:31PM
    Options
    So clutch replaced

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

£1062 later

Then I ask when the car last had a service?

February

Not too bad then

February 2017. :eek::eek::eek:

We've agreed January for a service.
    We've also agreed I will check the oil weekly!!!

I think I've been spoilt by the Yaris! It's still moving - yes this car is far too good to me!

Paying the deposit on the solar panels on Monday.
    HMMMM wonder how the NSDs are going!
    Time to check the cupboards for tins, the freezer for frozen food and the garage for rats!!!
    48% off mortgage

• beanielou
    Options
    Jeez. That is some bill Butti :eek: :eek:

• Butti
    edited 2 December 2018 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Shifted money across yesterday ready for solar panels survey tomorrow.
    Need to break up fence panel in the back garden today and tidy it away. May also go for a bike ride this afternoon if it is dry.

I'm feeling the need to get outside and get some fresh air.

Debts are looking okay.

Santander £1560 - 150 = £1410
    Barclaycard £4161 - 100 = £4061

Total £5471
    At this rate we will clear Santander next year.

We'll see where the mortgage is at on 20th Dec.
    Have had a look at TIPS on the Mortgage Free Wannabe roll of honour
    Someone has suggested a little celebration every time you crack the next £10k so I think I will be doing that in January.

:beer:

p.s. £200 deposit back in bank account from the car hire company!
    48% off mortgage

• beanielou
    Options
    All good Butti my friend :)

• Butti
    Options
    Good day today.
    For tea......Used frozen mince and onion, added a tin of tomatoes, frozen veg and a two year out of date tin of Rogan josh. Surprisingly good for mince!
    48% off mortgage

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback