Orange 'Free' Broadband

Options

Comments

• Woodlandman
    Options
    I also recieved the letter this week, had 3 very annoying conversations with numpties from what they call a customer services department.
    I actually fealt sorry for one of the guys who i was giving a hard time as he nearly broke down saying he was just a temp & had only been doing the job for a couple of days.:D

I have been with orange since the wanadoo days & from 2007 have taken advantage of the free home broadband with my pay monthly contract. I am currently mid way through a 2 year contract that will cost me £340 to get out of:mad:
    I also made a point of getting the phones4u assistant to ring orange to confirm that the free broadband would continue with this latest contract.

However i have been doing some research online to try & find something that might help the cause.
    I found this link to archived terms & conditions which one is for the orange free broadband: (sorry site won't let a newbie post links so you have to replace the word dot with a dot)

webdotorangedotcodotuk/p/home/internet terms of use

Item 6 is interesting:

6. If you are on an Eligible Tariff the Offer will be applied to your account for the period you remain on an Eligible Tariff.
    This indicates to me that they should allow us to keep the free broadband until our current contract expires.

Also the terms do state the following:
    17. Orange reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time on reasonable notice.
    18. Orange reserves the right to replace, amend or withdraw this Offer on reasonable notice.
    My view on the above 2 statements is that they have the right to remove the offer "TO" customers not "FROM" customers.

I have already filled out the OFCOM complaint posted by Gadgetmaster & urge anyone reading this thread with the same issue to do the same.

I will also be writing a formal letter to orange but have not yet decided where to mail it as i feel the normal customer services route will be a useless excercise. I did come accross an old thread that contained an email address for the executive office:

executivedotofficeatorangedotcodotuk

not sure if it works though.
  • Gadgetmaster
    Options

However i have been doing some research online to try & find something that might help the cause.
    I found this link to archived terms & conditions which one is for the orange free broadband: (sorry site won't let a newbie post links so you have to replace the word dot with a dot)

Item 6 is interesting:

6. If you are on an Eligible Tariff the Offer will be applied to your account for the period you remain on an Eligible Tariff.
    This indicates to me that they should allow us to keep the free broadband until our current contract expires.

<snip>

I did come accross an old thread that contained an email address for the executive office:

Excellent work tracking those terms down Woodlandman. If it makes life easier for people, I am able to post the link to the terms, which is http://web.orange.co.uk/p/home/internet_terms_of_use

I also copy my letter below, if it is of use as a template for anyone, complete with the address for the complaints team.

Complaints Dept
    Orange UK plc
    Po Box 486
    Rotherham

S63 5ZX

Mobile A/C: XXXXXXXX Broadband A/C: XXXXXXX
    Dear Sir,

I write following receipt of an e-mail from yourselves, advising me of a material change to my mobile phone contract – specifically, the removal of the free of charge home broadband service.

When I renewed my mobile contract with you, I confirmed with your caIl centre operative that I would continue to receive the free broadband for the duration of my mobile contract, and was assured that this was the case. I have now been informed that this statement was untrue, but that there is nothing that I can do, unless I am prepared to move my home telephone supply away from BT, which I am not prepared to do after the behaviour that your company has so far displayed! I also refer you to item number 6 on the attached copy of the original terms of use, which clearly states that the free broadband shall be in place for the duration of my mobile contract.

This leaves me facing an additional bill each month from this October, up to the expiry of my mobile contracts next XXXXX, at which point I will certainly be moving if this is an example of how you operate.

Despite this material change, I have been advised that I am unable to cancel my mobile contract without penalty, which I find unacceptable, if not a downright breach of contract. I have already notified OFCOM of my concerns, and wish to raise a formal complaint with yourselves. If a satisfactory resolution is not forthcoming, I shall have no hesitation in raising this issue with CISAS.

At this time, I require either, and in order of preference:
    · Continuation of the free broadband service
    · Penalty free cancellation of my mobile contract, with PAC code provided, together with a MAC code for my Broadband
    · A letter of deadlock

I trust that I may look forward to hearing from you by return.

Yours faithfully,
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I also recieved the letter this week, had 3 very annoying conversations with numpties from what they call a customer services department.
    I actually fealt sorry for one of the guys who i was giving a hard time as he nearly broke down saying he was just a temp & had only been doing the job for a couple of days.:D

I have been with orange since the wanadoo days & from 2007 have taken advantage of the free home broadband with my pay monthly contract. I am currently mid way through a 2 year contract that will cost me £340 to get out of:mad:
    I also made a point of getting the phones4u assistant to ring orange to confirm that the free broadband would continue with this latest contract.

Item 6 is interesting:

Also the terms do state the following:
    17. Orange reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time on reasonable notice.
    18. Orange reserves the right to replace, amend or withdraw this Offer on reasonable notice.
    My view on the above 2 statements is that they have the right to remove the offer "TO" customers not "FROM" customers.

I have already filled out the OFCOM complaint posted by Gadgetmaster & urge anyone reading this thread with the same issue to do the same.

I will also be writing a formal letter to orange but have not yet decided where to mail it as i feel the normal customer services route will be a useless excercise. I did come accross an old thread that contained an email address for the executive office:

17/18 quoted above will be there get out clause
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    "on reasonable notice" is the key point - For those that have received such notice, does it say WHEN the free broadband is being removed?

Also, whilst this may be their "get-out" card, it doesn't mean they can retain the existing contracts and remove a key benefit without also being liable for the consumer's "material detriment" get-out right. ;)
  • moon777
    moon777 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    "on reasonable notice" is the key point - For those that have received such notice, does it say WHEN the free broadband is being removed?

Also, whilst this may be their "get-out" card, it doesn't mean they can retain the existing contracts and remove a key benefit without also being liable for the consumer's "material detriment" get-out right. ;)

My letter says broadband service ends on 15/10/12 letter received on 21/8/12, email version on 24/8/12
  • OscarDog_2
    Options
    I too have been with orange for 12 years and benefitted from free broadband, and I am also really annoyed that orange have chosen to bring this service to an end in such a way.

BUT at the end of the day I am a single mum and need to move forward and find the best deal. I currently pay £14.60 to BT for line rental and eve and w/e calls. Orange have offered the same service for £27 (inc free broadband?). I am in a high cost area for broadband which incurs an extra charge, I also use more than 10gb a month, unfortunatley I can't find anything to beat orange.

I also have so many 'loyalty' add ons with my mobile I don't think i'd get a better deal for that elsewhere.

Has anyone else found a better offer.
  • bod1467
    Options
    moon777 wrote: »
    My letter says broadband service ends on 15/10/12 letter received on 21/8/12, email version on 24/8/12

That would be reasonable notice. However (IMHO) if a current mobile contract is in force wherein free broadband formed part of the contract then you should be able to rescind the contract with no early termination charges.

Just because something is free, does not mean it has no value. As I may have said earlier in this thread ... if you buy a TV and get a free Bluray player, then return the TV - you must also return the Bluray player.

Good luck to all those affected. (For disclosure - I'm not with Orange for BB, though I do have an Orange mobile).
  • Woodlandman
    Options
    I have managed to find a flyer from when the free broadband offer was around.
    It states "get free home broadband with your mobile phone".
    This says to me that the free broadband comes with the phone deal so therefore forms part of the contract.

maybe i'm reading into this too deeply
  • sjlmlk
    sjlmlk Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I have received my letter from Orange this week. It states in the first paragraph "To qualify for free broadband, you need to have an active Orange pay monthly mobile plan". It also says I do not have this plan, although I have had my mobile with Orange for over 12 years. The people in their customer services will not listen and told me they do not offer free broadband to any customers! I think it that all customers that have lost their BB register a complaint with OFCOM, they might take up our case. As for Orange customers services the less said the better.
  • bod1467
    Options
    Orange telephone CS have always been bad. My blog from 2 years ago ...

http://www.siteguru.co.uk/musings/tag/orange/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport