PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Justforme
    Options
    Could I join please for £300 for October. First time in years I will be watching pennies but will aim to improve month on month..
    NST October #24.
    NSD 16/20
    £125/£150 Family Budget..
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Budgets updated to here

Welcome to all newbies and of course our returners!!

I'm in for £200. It's something like a 4 week and 1 day month for me, so I'm going for £40 per week and £40 for a few things I need to top up. Could this be my month to get back on track? I certainly hope so!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Vanlady
    Vanlady Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I jump in for October please?
    It's been a while since I joined the challenge, but i have been continuing wherever possible to add up all my spends and NSD, so addictive and enlightening!
    Please put me down for 16 NSD and
    £210 for the month,
    that's for 3 adults (1 has now flown the nest:T....again!!), no alcohol, and all cleaning/toiletry stuff. £210 is a bit of a guess so we shall see.
    Thank you for running the thread elsiepac.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Please can I go down for £350 for October? Think I've spent a bit more than I planned in September, but not as bad as previous months, so I'm getting better!

Thanks in advance

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi. I'm in again for October, please Elsepaic. I'll go for £500 again for the 5 of us. There will be about 4 celebration dates to cater for so it might be a stretch as I will be feeding the extended family for a party/buffet. I'll run 1st till 31st so will keep posting over on the September thread. Good luck everyone. X
  • jenni_fer
    Options
    I've started these challenges a few times and then got sidetracked but going to give it another try for Oct.

£300 to cover 2 adults and 2 kids (who have most of their meals at school/nursery in the week). To cover all spend in a supermarket/similar shop EXCEPT anything bought ahead for Xmas.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 September 2019 at 8:47PM
    Options
    Thank you, elsiepac! I'd like to go for £420 again, please. That's food, basic toiletries & cleaning stuff for 4 adults on weekdays and anything up to 9 at weekends, but mostly just 6. I'm havering over whether to include pet & livestock food, currently running at about £40 per month, which is for 3 cats, 2 cockatiels and 12 chickens/bantams. Two of the full-time inhabitants are pescatarian & I'm staying away from a number of foods (mushrooms, chickpeas, processed meats & cheap bread, cakes & biscuits) for medical & health reasons.

Pretty sure I'm going to go over-budget in September, but it included a major family event (DS2's 30th Birthday) and me working two weekends - when the cat's away, the mice don't half play with ingredients like cream, cheese & butter! Lovely, but not frugal in great quantities... October should be calmer, quieter, and - shorter!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    £200 for me please for October. Need to reign in the spending so best start now. :)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Please may I join in again? My budget for October, which is a 5 week month for us, is £500. This is no where near what I want our spending to be at but is a significant decrease to what we spent weekly in September!
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • wannabee_in_credit
    Options
    Hello :)
    I used to post on here years ago, and found it really helpful for getting me out of debt.
    Unfortunately my debt returned when I got divorced and I am really struggling to adjust to running a house on just one wage.
    Groceries seem to be the one place I could cut back on further so if you don't mind I would love to join in for October please. My budget will be £200 for me, 2 teenagers and our cats. It's a bit of a guess and I'm going to have to start keeping receipts etc again, but I certainly can't continue going the way that I have been these past few months.
    Looking forward to joining in and doing something useful :D
    Ninja Saving Turtle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family