MoneySavingExpert.com Cheap Train Tickets Article Discussion

Options
1515253545557»

Comments

• dave_ave
    Options
    Lou1202 wrote: »

We hope to travel on 23rd December and return on the 27th, going from Liverpool Lime Street to St. Erth in Cornwall.

You can't look up fares that far in advance yet (only up to 19 Dec cuurently). Have a look next week and try to break the journey or go via Birmingham, Newport, Bristol or Plymouth.
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    leanneee wrote: »
    ScotRail Saisbury's offer
    Does anyone know if you buy a return ticket if you have to go on the outward journey for the return ticket to be valid? For example if I choose an Aberdeen to Edinburgh return leaving on the 28th November and returning on the 27th December can I just make the return journey without having to go to Edinburgh?

Right, IIRC and checking NRCOC's it's states this;
    '17. Using a return ticket
    A return ticket (including a two-part return ticket) is only valid for the outward journey shown on that ticket if the ticket is completely unused. You may not use the outward part of a return ticket after you have used the return part.'

Which if I get this right means if the Return ticket is marked by a guard the outward becomes invalid and if the outward is not marked then the return isn't valid so technically you need the outward ticket to validate the return.

So to answer your question technically NO, you can't use the return ticket as you wouldn't have a Scotrail guard squiggle on you outward ticket. But I've never been asked for the outward by a guard checking my return ticket.

Bold text for a reason as all scotrail guards squiggles look the same normally around the date on the ticket, read into that as you may :D
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had a look on the East Coast website and you can get;
    Darlington to Edinburgh Haymarket Dec 17th 08:05 £12 advance single (Direct No change)
    Edinburgh Haymarket to Darlington Dec 18th 10:48 £15.35 advance single (Direct No changes)

Total Return for the both of you £27.35, there is other times/prices available.

You could reduce this further by getting a family railcard, but you'll only benefit if you use it again.
    Wow that's quite a difference! Thank you!

I am absolutely bricking it about this journey btw, it's months away but i'm already fretting about whether i'll be able to put my (quite bulky) pushchair in the luggage bit, and get seats near to it as it's an expensive one so paranoid it'll get stolen lol.

Also, Friday 17th Dec is probably going to be THE worst day for travel, especially depending on weather, but surely that's everyone going home for Christmas, uni students etc.

I hate travelling on my own with the kids :o:o Also scared about having a cheap ticket which is for a set train, and the possibility of missing it!
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    BeenieCat wrote: »
    I am absolutely bricking it about this journey btw, it's months away but i'm already fretting about whether i'll be able to put my (quite bulky) pushchair in the luggage bit, and get seats near to it as it's an expensive one so paranoid it'll get stolen lol.

As the train pull into Darlington, look for the Train manager and ask him for assistance, I'm sure he will help.
    Also, Friday 17th Dec is probably going to be THE worst day for travel, especially depending on weather, but surely that's everyone going home for Christmas, uni students etc.

Your train's pretty early on the 17th so it shouldn't be to bad, the afternoon trains will be a nightmare.
    I hate travelling on my own with the kids :o:o Also scared about having a cheap ticket which is for a set train, and the possibility of missing it!

That's the bad thing about cheap advance tickets, all I can advise on is to get there very early, even if its 30 mins to 1 hour, it will save a lot of hassle if you miss your train.
  • leanneee
    Options
    Right, IIRC and checking NRCOC's it's states this;
    '17. Using a return ticket
    A return ticket (including a two-part return ticket) is only valid for the outward journey shown on that ticket if the ticket is completely unused. You may not use the outward part of a return ticket after you have used the return part.'

Which if I get this right means if the Return ticket is marked by a guard the outward becomes invalid and if the outward is not marked then the return isn't valid so technically you need the outward ticket to validate the return.

So to answer your question technically NO, you can't use the return ticket as you wouldn't have a Scotrail guard squiggle on you outward ticket. But I've never been asked for the outward by a guard checking my return ticket.

Bold text for a reason as all scotrail guards squiggles look the same normally around the date on the ticket, read into that as you may :D

Hmm... thanks for looking into this for me! I get what you are saying about the squiggle but what about the automatic ticket barriers? Would the system know that it hadn't 'eaten' my outward ticket and therefore not let me through on the return journey? I guess as long as I showed someone on the gate that I have a ticket for that journey then they should let me through even if it doesn't work in the machine? I hope this is all making sense!
    Saving Pennies, Losing pounds
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    leanneee wrote: »
    Hmm... thanks for looking into this for me! I get what you are saying about the squiggle but what about the automatic ticket barriers? Would the system know that it hadn't 'eaten' my outward ticket and therefore not let me through on the return journey? I guess as long as I showed someone on the gate that I have a ticket for that journey then they should let me through even if it doesn't work in the machine? I hope this is all making sense!

The ticket will work perfectly well in an automatic barrier (and I know this from personal experience, put the wrong ticket in the barrier at Waverley one day and the barrier opened).

But for some reason it didn't (can't think why not) just show the ticket to the man on the barrier and if he asks for the outward ticket (Very shocked if he did) show him the outward one with the squiggle on.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

:D

You are reading too much into it.

You can use the return half whether the outward half has been used or not. Indeed the outward half will often have been collected so you can't show it. If you've still got it it may or may not have been marked.

You cannot use the outward half once the return half has been used, and may have to show an unused return half to prove this. Usually this only happens if you are using the outward half after its first date of validity - the purpose being to prevent reuse of outward halves that weren't stamped, etc, when initially used on day 1.
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As the train pull into Darlington, look for the Train manager and ask him for assistance, I'm sure he will help.

Your train's pretty early on the 17th so it shouldn't be to bad, the afternoon trains will be a nightmare.

That's the bad thing about cheap advance tickets, all I can advise on is to get there very early, even if its 30 mins to 1 hour, it will save a lot of hassle if you miss your train.
    Thanks v.much for your help, i feel much better about the trip now. I was considering driving there but that wouldn't be MSE at all!
  • leanneee
    Options
    Thanks Livingthedream and dzug1 you are both stars! May have just saved my family a fortune on out train tickets to Centre Parcs this Christmas!
    Saving Pennies, Losing pounds
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys,

Time for a shiny new thread! Please continue to discuss train fares here ...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure