Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• falco
    Options
    I also had this message when trying to enter details on complainttracker.ryanair.com
    Has anyone overcome this problem?
  • SirGimpy
    SirGimpy Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2015 at 10:51AM
    Options
    None of my posts on this forum are designed to deter or encourage litigation in flight delay claims. The reason I post is that it concerns me that some of the advice (by no means all) given by others on this forum has become rather complacent. At times, relatively complicated legal issues are overly simplified. There appears to be a presumption that whatever an airline says about the law is wrong (which sometimes it is). On some occasions, advice is given on these forums which is flatly incorrect.

Dr Watson, you still seem to be missing the point that the ESCP is not a jurisdictional regime. It is a procedural mechanism which can be employed in a Court which has jurisdiction.

Luten, you are absolutely right and have spotted Dr Watson's mistake yourself. The ESCP can be used where the Court has jurisdiction, but it does not itself confer jurisdiction. For claims within the EU instituted on or after 10 January 2015, the jurisdictional regime is contained in Regulation 1215/2012, which is known as 'Brussels Recast'. It replaces Regulation 2001/2004, which was known as 'The Brussels Regulation'. You can find a copy of it here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:351:0001:0032:en:PDF.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SirGimpy wrote: »
    None of my posts on this forum are designed to deter or encourage litigation in flight delay claims. The reason I post is that it concerns me that some of the advice (by no means all) given by others on this forum has become rather complacent. At times, relatively complicated legal issues are overly simplified. There appears to be a presumption that whatever an airline says about the law is wrong (which sometimes it is). On some occasions, advice is given on these forums which is flatly incorrect.

Sir may I be as bold to suggest therefore that your posts could be more advisory in terms of you offering advise regarding the law so as potential claimants can weave their way through the complexities both the law and the airlines introduce.

Having re-read through your posts the overriding tone is one of discouragement and as this forum was established, in effect, to assist those delayed passengers seeking to conduct their own 261/2004 delay claims your efforts to help and assist LiP's would, I am sure, be greatly appreciated by (in particular by regular) forum contributors.
  • SirGimpy
    Options
    I'm not necessarily sure it follows that comments which do not encourage litigation are not helpful? Whilst parties on the small claims track are usually protected from the normal costs consequences of losing a case, that protection can potentially be lost. For example, if someone were to bring a claim against an airline after the expiry of the 6 year limitation period, the airline would have a good argument for recovering its costs. Similarly if someone were to bring a claim in a court which lacked jurisdiction, the airline would have a good argument for recovering its costs.

I try to provide a bit of balance to the fact that the vast majority of advice on these forums is along the lines of 'the airlines are always wrong and you should issue your claim immediately'. It is no bad thing, in my view, for people to stop and think carefully about whether they are actually taking an appropriate step by issuing a claim. Whilst the weight of opinion seems to be against me, I don't agree that my pointing out possible pitfalls to potential claimants is always unhelpful.

You will see, however, that I have provided Luten with helpful advice (even by standards other than my own, surely?) by pointing him in the direction of the jurisdictional rules.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Boring. ;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Luten wrote: »
    I'd feel much more comfortable if I found a clear and unambiguous regulation on which court has jurisdiction in my case. So far everything I've found does not apply to me (I can only be sued in my country of residence, doesn't say anything about me suing someone; consumers can sue companies in their country or residence but that does not apply to contract of transport… (can't post link as a new user)). This is quite frustrating!

This is a repost of something I put up a while ago.

"The question of which national court has jurisdiction over a 261/04 claim was determined in an ECJ ruling in 2009 (Rehder v Air Baltic). You can find that judgement here:

…europa.eu/legal-conte...EX:62008CJ0204

And a slightly more accessible explanation of this is provided by the European Consumer Centre here:

eccbelgium.be/which-court...ght-s51231.htm

The essence of the point is as follows:

Quote:

"In summary, it appears from the ECJ’s ruling that the applicant can choose to summon the air carrier to appear before the court in the place of departure or place of arrival of the aircraft, if his claim is based on a contract of carriage from one Member State to another with one sole airline which is the operating carrier and which is based on Regulation 261/2004. Moreover, the applicant retains the possibility of summoning the air carrier before the court where it has its registered office, central administration or principal place of business.""
  • PatMaguire
    Options
    Leaving aside all the comments about what the Regulations do or do not say can I point everyone to fact that the ESCP exists, that all UK County Courts accept them (only caveat is whether they have experience of them) and that once they have considered the matter and issued a Form D result, with the helpful assistance of the Dublin County Sheriff's Office Ryanair are required to pay up. Seems to work as per advice from Dr. Watson.
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Luten wrote: »
    Dr Watson, maybe all the cases you won were for flights to or from the UK?

Luten,
    No.
    I have a 'friend' who took a flight from somewhere in Eire to somewhere else in the EU and was an Eire habitant. To avoid the Irish small courts, my friend pursued their claim using ESCP using a relatives UK address. Case won.
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SirGimpy wrote: »
    Dr Watson, you still seem to be missing the point that the ESCP is not a jurisdictional regime. It is a procedural mechanism which can be employed in a Court which has jurisdiction.

SirGimpy,
    You're wrong- i'm not.
    Lets have a look though at some of the nitty gritty tho' in the link you kindly provided:-

I'll start here:-

CHAPTER II
    JURISDICTION
    SECTION 1
    General provisions
    Article 4
    1. Subject to this Regulation, persons domiciled in a Member State shall, whatever their nationality, be sued in the courts of that Member State.

But then:-

Article 5
    1. Persons domiciled in a Member State may be sued in the courts of another Member State only by virtue of the rules set out in Sections 2 to 7 of this Chapter.

Which leads to:-

SECTION 2
    Special jurisdiction
    Article 7
    A person domiciled in a Member State may be sued in another Member State:

Now this is where I’m sure SirGimpy would point to:-

(1) (a) in matters relating to a contract, in the courts for the place of performance of the obligation in question;

And:-

in the case of the provision of services, the place in a Member State where, under the contract, the services were provided or should have been provided;

I would then point here:-

SECTION 4
    Jurisdiction over consumer contracts
    Article 17
    1. In matters relating to a contract concluded by a person, the consumer, for a purpose which can be regarded as being outside his trade or profession, jurisdiction shall be determined by this Section, without prejudice to Article 6 and point 5 of Article 7, if:

(c) in all other cases, the contract has been concluded with a person who pursues commercial or professional activities in the Member State of the consumer’s domicile or, by any means, directs such activities to that Member State or to several States including that Member State, and the contract falls within the scope of such activities

But then SirGimpy would follow this with:-

3. This Section shall not apply to a contract of transport other than a contract which, for an inclusive price, provides for a combination of travel and accommodation.

Which I’ll follow with this:-

Article 18
    1. A consumer may bring proceedings against the other party to a contract either in the courts of the Member State in which that party is domiciled or, regardless of the domicile of the other party, in the courts for the place where the consumer is domiciled.

So, there you go -crystal clear.

Going back to the original poster (Luten) and my original question to you, I now take it that your response from RA does not form any part of a formal answer to court?

And the rest- well the decision is yours on how you want to play this but as always:-
    Good luck and (maybe you'll) keep going.
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • SirGimpy
    SirGimpy Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2015 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Dr Watson,

Thank you for your response. I’m sorry to say that you have fallen into error once again.

I’d first like to point out that I have not actually expressed any view as to whether or not the English courts would have jurisdiction on the facts Luten has described. I have merely pointed out two things:

1. Contrary to what you suggested, the ESCP has absolutely nothing to do with jurisdiction. It is a set of procedural rules, equivalent to the CPR. It provides a procedure which can be followed in a court which has jurisdiction under the applicable jurisdictional rules;

2. In a claim brought under Regulation 261/2004, the rules as to whether or not the courts of any particular Member State have jurisdiction are to be found in Regulation 1215/2012 (or Regulation 44/2001 for claims commenced prior to 10 January 2015).

There is therefore nothing incorrect about anything which I have said previously on this issue. On the other hand, your suggestion that the ESCP can confer jurisdiction on a court was incorrect. If you look at the ESCP, you will see repeated references to sending documents to 'the court or tribunal which has jurisdiction'. Those references make no sense if the ESCP itself confers jurisdiction. It does not. The ESCP contains no rules about when a court does or does not have jurisdiction. The jurisdictional rules are contained in the entirely separate Brussels regime.

You seem to have identified most of the relevant parts of Regulation 1215/2012. There is, however, an error in your analysis. Article 17(3), which you have correctly quoted, says: ‘This Section shall not apply to a contract of transport other than a contract which, for an inclusive price, provides for a combination of travel and accommodation.’ You will see that both Articles 17 and 18 appear in Section 4. The effect of Article 17(3) is therefore that Article 18 does not apply to transport contracts. Your reliance on Article 18(1) is misconceived.

You’ll see that Vauban has posted a link above to an ECJ case called Rehder v Air Baltic, which dealt with the issue of jurisdiction in claims under Regulation 261/2004. It was based on the old jurisdictional regime (Regulation 44/2001), but there is no material difference from the new regime (Regulation 1215/2012). You will see that the ECJ said that the jurisdictional rules allow a defendant in a claim brought under a contract of carriage by air to be sued in the following jurisdictions:

1. The place of domicile of the defendant, i.e. where it has its registered office, central administration or principal place of business (Articles 5(1) and 63 of Regulation 1215/2012); or

2. The place of performance of the obligation in question, i.e. the place of arrival or departure (Article 7(1)(a) of Regulation 1215/2012).

I should also point out that if an airline is sued in a court which does not have jurisdiction under the relevant rules, it is perfectly open to them to accept the jurisdiction of the court and to allow the claim to proceed, even though they could technically have disputed jurisdiction if they had wanted to. For example, Ryanair may prefer to be sued in England than in EIRE for whatever reason. It does not mean that you are always entitled to sue Ryanair in England, regardless of the particular facts of any given case.

Hopefully that will put this issue to bed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback