Options

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope I'm not butting in here...

Questions:
    1) I think I want multifuel because someone told me coal is a lot cheaper than seasoned wood to burn, is that right?

That's a hard one! So much depends on how much you can buy wood for and, importantly, how dry the wood is. There are a lot of regional price variations and tremendous differences in quality that you need to be aware of, too.

You do get more heat out of solid fuel than wood and wood takes a lot more attention as it burns more quickly. It looks better than coal, though, to my mind.

In the end, I've come to the conclusion that, where I live, there's not a great deal of difference in cost between burning, say, Taybrite and well seasoned wood. Your mileage may vary, though. The thing to bear in mind is that prices are always on the move. The price of coal/smokeless fuel has gone up a lot in recent years, so if there once was a price advantage to it, I doubt there is now.
    2) I've noticed that steel stoves are cheaper than cast iron. So, is a cast iron stove better than a steel stove? I see Morso, for example, make both.

Cast iron is not better than steel - it's just traditional. People say it retains its heat for longer, which is true, but for the same reason, it is also slower to heat up and it is also more prone to cracking if damaged or badly fired (I've even seen a Jotul with a huge crack in it, in a property I once bought - and that's a well respected brand). So cast iron has its downs as well as its ups.

Moreover, there are a lot of questionable Chinese and Indian cast iron stoves sold on eBay and from some stove retailers which are best avoided.

As for steel, the most modern stoves tend to be UK made and, for the most part, are made from steel. The downside is that they tend to look a bit spartan - you don't get the elaborate shapes and details that are easy with cast iron. On a performance level, though, there seems to be little to choose between the two materials - providing you buy a quality stove.

3) The dimensions of the room would suggest a 5kw output stove (and I understand that a stove should work at its maximum output to be efficient) but this room is an ice box, and I would like the heat to go through to the kitchen, so should I go up to 7kw?
    4) Approximately how much do those of you with 5kw/ 7 kw fires spend on fuel each year?

Thank you in advance Oh Wise People!

Personally, I'd treat the calculations with a pinch of salt. In one property I had, I relied on both the manufacturers' and retailers' estimates and bought a stove that turned out to be too small for the job - but that was a supernaturally cold building, I have to say!

In my current home, I erred on the pessimistic side and bought a higher output stove than some thought was called for. Last winter I was glad I had.

One thing you have to watch is that the regulations now insist that if you fit any stove larger than 5KW, you are forced to fit an air brick - regardless of the size of room, layout or other sources of ventilation.

My advice, FWIW, would be to get several quotes and see if they agree, but do insist on a site visit. It's easy (and lazy) for a supplier to look at a chart and pontificate about the size of stove you need. But unless they see the house in question and weigh-up all the factors, you are not going to get an informed opinion.

I can't comment on running costs, I'm afraid, as my set-up is very different.

Hope that's at least some help.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 7 September 2010 at 3:48PM
    Options
    Well, I think you need wiser than me and OH isnt about (very busy this time of year) - CRPhillips may be along later. But from what I gather from OH's conversations with other installers or dealers is that cast iron isnt any better than steel. In fact cast iron ones often arrive on site with cracks already in them :eek:.

If money is tight dollydolittle, have a look in local freeads as people often sell wood burners second hand and there is little to go wrong with them. Stove paint can be bought to spray them up to look good as new :) Dont go for the cheapest types though as it would be a false economy. As I said OH reckons Clearview is the bees knees and thats what we have - sadly you dont often see them second hand. If you are going to leave doors open to get the heat travelling through to other parts of the house and you think 5Kw is right for the room, then yes, a bigger one may be the best idea for you. Again, take a sketch and measurements to a good dealer to ask advice.

Bung a nice rug over the gap between the carpet and new hearth :)

You can make yourself a wood store with a few pallets and some roof felt, so dont go buying one for £400 (which I see they are in our local dealers!)

If your OH is good with diy and not frightened of heights and has a mate to help him, then its not rocket science to line the chimney yourself - but you would need to get local buildings control out before and after the job to sign it off as safe. Make sure you insulate it. And from October we also have to fit a carbon monoxide alarm at each job.

Re costs, well you can look for a good wood burner dealer in your area and go and pick their brains and also look on the internet for manufacturers sites. We have a wonderful dealer near us with over 60 models and some have flues so you can actually light them up and see how good they are.

Have to say OH reckons the smart money ought to be going into buying renewable woodlands at the moment :) Luckily we have a good supply of ash trees on our own land and if you do have a big area to grow ash is very quick to grow and is the best wood to burn.
  • The_Wood_Guy
    Options
    The HETAS guide is a good place to start and you will need 1kW for every 14 cubic metres of space. If you live in a UK smoke control area you will need a DEFRA approved Cleanburn Stove. Check out the Stovax website, they have a wide range
  • The_Wood_Guy
    Options
    You should measure up the room it is in first as you need 1kW for every 14 cubic metres of space. Then, when you have identified the size of stove you need, you can find a list of 3 local retailers to your postcode via the Find A Retailer link on the Stovax website
  • dollydolittle_2
    Options
    Thanks all. I have had two installers visit the house and I've taken the measurements of the room to others. To be honest, I haven't found any of them particularly helpful. They all gave me conflicting info and they seem to each have a particular make and model that they are keen to sell. And I'm not even getting into the radiant versus convector debate!

The info on steel stoves is useful. I actually prefer the spartan look as the house is very '60s and ornate would look out of place. We already have an air vent in the wall, which might be one of the reasons the room is so cold, but at least that is one less thing we'll have to do.
  • tomcat71
    Options
    hello, i've done quite a bit of research myself and are quite frankly...baffled. I walked into the first showroom i had been to for stoves and was immediatley drawn to the clearview. I loved both the pioneer and vision. Our fireplace could not hold either as it was too small so we widened it and now it can hold either stove. We have an absolutley fantastic stove shop down the road, i cannot fault them for their customer service and i trust them completely. However they are the most expensive place to buy from. For the Pioneer 400 including instullation, and liner plus all the trimmings required they charge £2992, now i have been told their fitting is second to nun and the liner is triple lined 316 and in the 30 years they have been open they have not had one problem with their liner or the clearview. However someone in essex quoted us £2295 and someone in Derby did a rough quote of £2000 the problem is we can't have any of these people as we are out of their zone. The only other place was near us didn't stock the clearview but said the morso range is very good and a rough quote from them was £1900 for full fit with the stove (incl in price) being £1950. Now my question is, why is this place sooo expensive?? I do know that the labour is £485 plus VAT, regardless of price though i keep going back to them hoping that I can bring myself to say yes to them fitting the stove, I also keep asking them for advice, they so deserve my custom due to the time and information given and i love their little shop. So many people in the area recommend them and they are father/son lovely people. But I just wanted to ask you is this price right?? You obviously have a great deal of experience too and this is my first time on a forum, I just don't know what to do , can I jusify spending that money??
    Also what I have read is the pioneer isn't very good at staying lit all night as it's so small and since we can fit the vision in does this mean we will use a lot of wood just to keep it going. We are on the borderline of the 8kw being too much for just one room but ive been told that reducing the heat is not good for the airwash....i'm so confused, i think i have read too much into it. I'm just so worried about spending all that money when I keep hearing people are buying stoves for £250 and fitting it themselves. Any advice?
  • A._Badger
    Options
    Thanks all. I have had two installers visit the house and I've taken the measurements of the room to others. To be honest, I haven't found any of them particularly helpful. They all gave me conflicting info and they seem to each have a particular make and model that they are keen to sell. And I'm not even getting into the radiant versus convector debate!

The info on steel stoves is useful. I actually prefer the spartan look as the house is very '60s and ornate would look out of place. We already have an air vent in the wall, which might be one of the reasons the room is so cold, but at least that is one less thing we'll have to do.

I'm sorry to hear you've found the experience confusing - but I'm not in the least surprised, I'm afraid.

My own experiences of stove retailers and installers has been equally dismal with conflicting advice and, far too often, misinformation (and that's putting it politely!) being pedelled - no doubt in the hope of getting a sale of whichever stove they make the best margin on, or can still get on credit from the distributor.

The only advice I can give is keep trying. Ask around your social/work circles and see if you can find a personal recommendation from customers. Read every scrap of information you can get and in the end just take your courage in both hands. I know that's unsatisfactory, but it's how it is for many customers in this tricky market.
  • A._Badger
    Options
    tomcat71 wrote: »
    hello, i've done quite a bit of research myself and are quite frankly...baffled.

... I'm just so worried about spending all that money when I keep hearing people are buying stoves for £250 and fitting it themselves. Any advice?

I think you could usefully forget £250 stoves and DIY installation unless you are very skilled, to be honest. And even then a £250 stove is almost guaranteed to disappoint.

Clearview are reckoned by some to be the best stoves you can get. Other say they are overpriced, have become status symbols and that others are just as good for less money. I don't have an opinion on that. I just think they are ugly, but that's just my personal taste. The important thing is that they are reckoned to be well made so, if you can live with the looks, you'd be buying what is by all accounts a good product.

Morso, similarly, are said to be extremely well made stoves, so I doubt that, whichever you bought, you'd later regret it.

Both are at the expensive end of the market, however. There is a happy middle ground between a Mercedes and a Proton, after all, and it's the same with stoves. Maybe you could widen your net and look at some of the other reputable brands on the market?
  • Andy01
    Options
    Does anyone know anything about the Vega 300 Stove or the Firefox 12 Stove.
    I'm looking to buy a resonably priced 10 - 12Kw stove and would welcome any advice.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 20 September 2010 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Are they doing a solid flue - is it a barn conversion or something without a chimney? We normally use 904/904 twin walled flexible stainless steel with a 25 year warranty.

If we sold the stoves (and therefore made a good profit on them) and lined to absolute perfection :) with 904/904 plus insulation and all the trimmings I reckon £2k would be nearer the mark. Your local show room has a lot of overheads if they have a big showroom plus a lot of employees.

The clearview hasnt been made for 30 years as far as I know :) But, yes, its my OH's favourite as has been for about 8 years now. There is a stove called woodwarm which seems very similar too.

You can buy clearview on line (though dont expect discounts, Clearview dont do discounts, they can sell as many as they make and this time of year you may have 6 weeks or more wait if you hang about too long before ordering one). We have a pioneer 400 and I dont understand where/what the reviews were you have read.

If you dont want to spend so much on a stove - Morso and Stovax Stockton are also fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure