MSE News: MSE and Which? launch 'reclaim for free' PPI campaign

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"We've joined forces with Which? to increase awareness of how easy it is for consumers to reclaim for free"

Comments

• jmw93
    jmw93 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    It really is easy to claim - for us, it involved one phone call and one form to complete. We reclaimed PPI on a loan but didn't have the paperwork, didn't have the account/reference number and didn't have the exact dates, but we still got our PPI refunded without any fuss.
  • SwipernoSwiping
    Options
    I'd love to reclaim. I don't have any paperwork, I can only remember grumbling about the extra payments I had not budgeted for on a New Look store card. I don't know how much was paid out and really would miss the £25 for a form to start a search:o ( have I got that right?) It was over 6 years back, and having read the forums, the chances of me succeeding are slim because of the age.
    But I do believe the newer claims are far easier to do.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You dont need half the stuff that this website tells you to get. You can go straight to complaint giving your reasons. As long as you can supply names, date of birth, past and current addresses and why you feel you were mis-sold PPI (as having it is not a complaint reason) then that is all you need to do.

The FOS questionnaire is worth filling in.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • patfearn
    patfearn Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have been trying to reclaim PPI from GE Money and their associates for almost three years. Have made a complaint to the regulator who have just given Cardiff pinnacle a further 8 weeks to address my concerns. In the meantime GEMoney have contacted me to inform me that they only provided the loan and did not sell the PPI. Very strange as no one wrote to GE Money and GE Money refused to give me the loan unless I took out the PPI. As far as ican see GEMoney must have a very close connection to Cardiff Pinnacle if they answer their mail.I applaud everything MSE are doing but please don' t forget that it's not just the banks who mis sold PPI. It's the finance companies who are trying to dodge their responsibilities and are failing to pay back mus sold PPI .
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    As dunstonh says, your reasons with details will do, they can track down the information on your accounts.

Straight forward by doing this yourself, all free, you get to keep all your refund on success, and less paperwork involved too.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    patfearn wrote: »
    I have been trying to reclaim PPI from GE Money and their associates for almost three years. Have made a complaint to the regulator who have just given Cardiff pinnacle a further 8 weeks to address my concerns. In the meantime GEMoney have contacted me to inform me that they only provided the loan and did not sell the PPI. Very strange as no one wrote to GE Money and GE Money refused to give me the loan unless I took out the PPI. As far as ican see GEMoney must have a very close connection to Cardiff Pinnacle if they answer their mail.I applaud everything MSE are doing but please don' t forget that it's not just the banks who mis sold PPI. It's the finance companies who are trying to dodge their responsibilities and are failing to pay back mus sold PPI .

In these cases a Subject Access Request (SAR) may be useful, depending on how long ago you taken the account out, if they are able to provide details of the SAR (GE) then details of the PPI if set up by them should also be enclosed within.

Keep at them.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2012 at 4:56PM
    Options
    patfearn wrote: »
    I have been trying to reclaim PPI from GE Money and their associates for almost three years. Have made a complaint to the regulator who have just given Cardiff pinnacle a further 8 weeks to address my concerns.
    It seems likely that the Ombudsman has concluded that Cardiff Pinnacle may be the party at fault and have therefore initiated a new complaint to them.

After three years, another eight weeks shouldn't be too hard to wait. On the bright side, whoever is responsible for mis-selling will have to pay you 8% pa interest up to the date they pay - try getting that much interest in a savings account.

Hang on in there and good luck.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • gethro
    gethro Posts: 935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2012 at 8:20PM
    Options
    I have claimed back from 3 companies,2 paid me back within 2 months but the biggest claim was against Lloyds who denied i had a claim again my loan(even though it was a credit card and they sent me all the ppi details) they told me that the case was shut,i pointed out their mistake and gave them 2 weeks before i refered it to the FOS.
    I ended up refering this to the FOS in December 2010 and since then all i get is a letter every 6 months informing me that they are very busy and have had a record amount of claims submitted and it may be some time before they can resolve my claim,they say they will write again within the next 6 months if i haven't heared from them before then.
    So certain banks are dragging their feet and there seems to be no logical system for the FOS to be dealing with complaints in any order.
    I dont expect to get anything back from Lloyds as i am sure by the time my case is sorted they will have found a way around refunding PPi.
    Good luck patfearn with G E Money,i have found through my DMP that they are one of the most unhelpful companies around and when my loan is finaly cleared i will do all i can to get back the charges and other fees they have charged me.
  • ppidisgrace
    Options
    Are MSE and WHICH now cmc's otherwise how would they be able to offer claims management services to the public?
  • katecheshire
    Options
    "Which? and MoneySavingExpert.com, who together have helped thousands reclaim PPI for free, are teaming up to get a simple message out: you don't need to pay to reclaim, you can do it yourself and keep all of your cash for free. In most cases, it's easy."

They are providing information and guidance on how to do it yourself! how does this make them cmc's?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure