Paypal - credit rating and recovery?! Help desperately needed

Options
1235»

Comments

• gavinsmith1980
    Options
    Yes I did think that, a real shame as I love being able to buy/sell the items on eBay! May try Etsy and see what they are like...!

Will you need a PayPal account for the new eBay system?
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's actually Bay that's changing not PayPal. Ebay are changing their checkout systems to allowers user to to pay by other means other than PayPal. Some info here https://www.imrg.org/blog/why-ebay-drops-paypal/
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    This appears on the face of it to have been a simple case of a fraudulent claim of item not received- I still see nothing at all to indicate that buyer is claiming a broken item.

Good, the different transactions should have made this ineligible for buyer protection- I just wasn't sure what happened where neither buyer nor seller had paypal protection.

I'm glad you got it sorted.
    I am puzzled by the assumptions which you seem to be making - there is no evidence that this was a fraudulent transaction. It could well be, but the splitting of the payment suggests that it might not be.
    If the vase was broken in transit the likelihood is that nobody would tell the buyer and the claim would be for non-delivery, which is what has happened.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks again for your comments and help!

Annoyingly PayPal have decided to close my account...!

I think I would be over the moon at this outcome rather than annoyed :)

And if you really want a paypal option - is there another member of the family at a nearby address that could do it for you? (Under their name of course) and then you bank transfer them the money to buy whatever you're buying?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am puzzled by the assumptions which you seem to be making - there is no evidence that this was a fraudulent transaction. It could well be, but the splitting of the payment suggests that it might not be.
    If the vase was broken in transit the likelihood is that nobody would tell the buyer and the claim would be for non-delivery, which is what has happened.

OP had tracking proving delivery so if this had been a straightforward case of INR where both buyer and seller had protection - then seller would have won, no issue no doubt. If this was a broken item and again assuming both parties had protection- buyer would have won and OP would have had to pay to have goods returned to him as well.

To me it would seem odd for a genuine buyer to firstly change the address and then to go down the most complicated route possible to get a refund if item had been damaged. Why not simply have claimed for a damaged item and let OP pick up the bill?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure