New iPhones

Options

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a MONEY SAVING FORUM. If you have 2 products that do exactly the same but one is many times more expensive than the other then on a MONEY SAVING FORUM it would seem to make sense to buy the cheaper alternative which does exactly the same thing. If there was a thread entitled 'should I throw all my money in the bin' on a money saving forum you would say 'no that would be a bad idea'. In the same way on a money saving forum you would say 'no do not buy an iphone'.
  • thefonestuff
    Options
    The new iPhones are great devices, no doubt. But as mentioned above in the comments, they're a bit overpriced. Especially XS. I'd rather save money and go for XR since it offers almost the same features. And if I'm willing to splurge, I'd rather go for XS Max.

Phones like OnePlus 6T and Mate 20 Pro are sure give the new iPhones are run for their money, especially given their lower cost.
    ww.thefonestuff.com
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    This is a MONEY SAVING FORUM. If you have 2 products that do exactly the same but one is many times more expensive than the other then on a MONEY SAVING FORUM it would seem to make sense to buy the cheaper alternative which does exactly the same thing. If there was a thread entitled 'should I throw all my money in the bin' on a money saving forum you would say 'no that would be a bad idea'. In the same way on a money saving forum you would say 'no do not buy an iphone'.
    I think that is a very blinkered view. You can buy a brand new iPhone for £240 from Argos that will have the latest OS and should be supported software wise for a good few years and runs all the latest apps flawlessly and will be a more secure OS than anything else and after 2 years the phone will probably retain 50% of its value so in effect a brand new upto date iPhone would cost about £120 over 2 years. I would say that could be seen as money saving.
    I have an iPhone 4s which i bought second hand for £115 and must be 5 years old and still works.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

So I assume you always buy the cheapest clothes? The cheapest food products? Live in the cheapest house that waa for sale or rent at the time?

Afterall, a house is a house right? It provides shelter and warmth, why spend more than the absolute minimum?
  • I have the iPhone x and it has few features I like (camera, face recognition) but in all honesty my old iPhone 6s+ was a better all rounder I think. I really don't like the size of iPhone X and wish I would have waited for for the XS version.

Only other thing I would say, be careful where you buy from I'm having hell with Tesco Mobile regarding a faulty iPhone SE that's a couple of months old because Tesco cant repair iPhones they only supply a replacement one and if there is even the slightest of damage they reject the warranty claim stating Apple wont accept the damaged / faulty phone back so Tesco refuse to do anything.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have the iPhone x and it has few features I like (camera, face recognition) but in all honesty my old iPhone 6s+ was a better all rounder I think. I really don't like the size of iPhone X and wish I would have waited for for the XS version.

Only other thing I would say, be careful where you buy from I'm having hell with Tesco Mobile regarding a faulty iPhone SE that's a couple of months old because Tesco cant repair iPhones they only supply a replacement one and if there is even the slightest of damage they reject the warranty claim stating Apple wont accept the damaged / faulty phone back so Tesco refuse to do anything.
    Aren't the X and xs the same size?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Damage to a handset invalidates all of the manufacturer's warranties that I've seen. There may possibly be some unusual exceptions, however.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The price of the new Iphones is extortionate in the UK my DGS lives in NYC and he has just paid $800 last Friday for the brand new IPhone X. My DD has bought and brought home for me an IPhone 7 which cost roughly in UK currency around £380 :) I am quite happy with that price as its about £460 here
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    The price of the new Iphones is extortionate in the UK my DGS lives in NYC and he has just paid $800 last Friday for the brand new IPhone X. My DD has bought and brought home for me an IPhone 7 which cost roughly in UK currency around £380 :) I am quite happy with that price as its about £460 here
    The iPhone X is now £799 in john Lewis.
  • its_all_over
    Options

Yes, Fred, that might be your opinion, and while this whole site is centred in money saving you are posting in the section relating to advice about mobile phones.

Making comments that insinuate fellow forum members have a mental illness is not in line with the sites ethos or the rules. You really should reassess the way you interact with people and why you feel the need to throw out unnecessary insults.

Also Fred, what’s the difference between buying a iPhone for £800-£900 or buying an Android phone for £800-£900? Why do you only feel the need to insult iPhone buyers?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure