Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    really well done on your decluttering. You put me to shame. I should be doing my spare room but will leave it till a holiday. I hope the car will dry out soon that's one of the awful things everyone can have happen to them.

It is v windy too by me and I am thinking of doing lots of washing and drying on the line.

Im glad you at Mcdonalds it's a nice treat. I keep eating lots of naughty food. I am blaming the weather.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 February 2019 at 7:31AM
    Options
    Got out in the sun to walk the dog yesterday morning and just as we got in the middle of the common it lashed it down ! Thankfully I had my waterproof hooded coat on so just my trouser legs got a bit wet. It didn't last long and the dog is a labrador so she didn't care :rotfl:

One load of washing hung out when we got back and it was sunny with a brisk wind till about 5pm. DS took her out for her second walk so I had a bit of a rest. The evenings are getting a bit lighter which is nice. Roll on spring :D

I went into the loft to check the roof yesterday. When DF was here we went up to get something (can't remember what now) and the felt on the inside of the roof was wet and there was a small drip from the ceiling. DF said it looked like condensation so we put a plastic tub under the drip. On checking after the last few windy lashing with rain days the felt is dry and there is no water in the plastic tub. DF is going to look at it again when he comes down but he thinks it was just a very cold day when we last went up and the heat from the loft hatch being open caused condensation. Hoping that's all it is. May need to get some ventilation tiles we will see. Hopefully not too expensive.

I popped round to a friends for coffee in the afternoon and she gave me some home made flapjack nom nom :p

We have avoided takeaways this weekend. I bought pizzas and spicy wings from aldi for Friday tea and last night we had a jar of curry with chicken, papadoms and nan breads also from aldi. Am determined not to spend on credit card this month. Today we are having steak pie & veg. I cooked extra curry for DS lunch tomorrow.

SW I am sure your place is a palace compared to mine ! Just a little dècluttering here and there each week is just the tip of the iceberg here lol
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    That rain was awful. Hopefully you recovered with the help of the flapjacks. Well done on not having a takeaway. I haven't this week and I hope I don't either for next week.

Blooming glad your roof is ok. That's scary.:( Thank goodness for DF knowing about things like that.

I blame you for this:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::T. Yesterday, I watched Marie Kondo's tidying video. I had it on in the background as the tv programme doesn't explain it in depth but it did make me want to tidy. I kept remembering lots of things that I hadn't done and felt compelled to complete them. So now my upstairs is tidy but lots of things were dumped in the kitchen including two pig money boxes which keep looking at me and now I have to sort those in between marking. lol. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Right off I go.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Aw no SW not getting rid of the smoosh bottles are ya. Poor piggys :rotfl: :rotfl:
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I am glad its Friday, I am soooo tired. Had a lovely walk with the dog in the sun on the common this afternoon. I am now waiting for a Chinese to be delivered paid for out of my entertainment budget with a £3 off voucher code I found online :D

I paid my car tax this week from savings and avoided additional credit card and direct debit charges.

Week 7 declutter - I have sorted my larder cupboard and chucked a few bits of out of date stuff (the oldest 2006 !!) I figured if I haven't used it by now I'm not likely to. I also reorganised stuff so its easier to see and get at what's in there.

My dog walking shoes were waterproof but recently my socks have been wet around the toes when the grass is wet. I have just sprayed them with WD40 found in my DIY cupboard as I read online that it can be used for waterproofing shoes. If it works it will be great and stop damp feet and save the cost of new walking shoes :p

Tomorrow is our ladies pamper day so I am looking forward to my neck & shoulder massage and drainage facial. £20 will be paid from entertainment fund and then that will be it for the rest of the month !! I have a cheap bottle of rose wine and will pick up a quiche from the co-op on the way. I am looking forward to a nice relaxing day :)

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Pamper day was lovely and relaxing on Saturday. I decided not to drink and drove round so I could take a big bag of DS's clothes for the girls to look through as some of them have boys too. Some of the stuff he sorted out he hadn't worn and had grown out of. One of the girls is doing a car boot soon so I let her have the rest.

DS has paid his board (bills and food money) so I have paid £50 to my 0% credit card and paid off my other credit card in full as planned. My 0% card runs out 7/7/2020. My car loan is paid off 1/1/2020 and I will then use the extra £160 a month to pay off my 0% credit card before the deal runs out.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done on pamper day and decluttering. Which reminds me I have to do some too! It is sunny by me I hope it is by you happy walking.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    My 0% card runs out 7/7/2020.

Now that I have written this down it has made me feel quite depressed :( Once I get paid I will see if I can budget to pay it off earlier. It would be nice to finish on 1/1/2020 same as my car so I will be debt free for 2020.

I went shopping this week in aldi and got lots of meat with 30% off stickers which was lucky as there usually isn't anything reduced when I go.

Decluttering week 8 - I have decided to part with some of my books from my bedroom to free up some space - I have read them and am not likely to read them again and they are just gathering dust. They are like new so I will donate them to our local library. I still have 2 more shelves of books I am keeping which I will read again but they now fit nicely on my shelves :p

I have a small low set of drawers in the corner of my bedroom which I cant use as they are too low and near the bed to open. I am donating this to DS for his room if/when his gf moves in. (no date set yet). I have bought a tallboy set of drawers on bay of E for £30 paid from household account. They will fit nicely in the corner of the room and I will be able to open them and store stuff in them. I am collecting them later this morning. Then I will be able to declutter the bottom of my wardrobe and then put my shoes in the bottom of my wardrobe freeing up more bedroom floor space. That should be it then for decluttering my bedroom :) the rest of the house is a work in progress :o

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    You might pay it off earlier so try not to worry. Maybe there will be another bank offer soon and you will be able to apply? Could you have a carboot with your clutter findings maybe? little things like that will make the difference.

Well done on the reduced meat at aldi, fab bargain. :j

Good news that your room is now decluttered. I haven't done much decluttering this holiday. I must do the store room when I get the time. :o

Hope you are having some good weather like me.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    7/7/2020 seems so far away it seems to be taking ages to pay off this credit card debt. Although most of the spending was planned to take advantage of the 0% deal instead of a loan. (new hoover / new sofa )

My bedroom declutter is almost finished. I collected the new tallboy and after a good sort through I put my stuff in it. Its much narrower than the old low drawers that I have removed so I have managed to move my bed around to get more space coming into the room. Just the bottom of my wardrobe to sort and the books for the library to bag up and put in my car.

The weather was lovely yesterday so I got a load of towels out on the line and dried after taking the dog out for an hour on the common. Yesterday was a NSD and its payday on Thursday so I am hoping for NSD every day till then. I checked food in fridge/freezer/stores and we should have enough to last.

Today I need to scrub down the patio, more washing and hoover the dog room. She has started moulting so its going to need going daily soon.

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback