Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    yvonne_le wrote: »
    however after they checked in the boarding passes would not scan
    yvonne_le wrote: »
    H coming home they checked in at the Flybe desk but 5 mins after the gate had closed

Flybe checkin closes 60 minutes before departure time so this sounds very odd...do you have the flight number and date?
  • yvonne_le
    Options
    Hi Flight BE3132 Flying Friday 13th so they should have landed in Manchester at 10.30 PM And Manchester had it listed arriving at 10.29! Still can't believe TUI did not leave a message for people at reception or send the coach earlier as they would have in the airport 2 hours before they were due to fly.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they booked the whole thing as a package, the package tour regulations apply quite apart from any claim against the airline. From what you say, Tui seem to be at fault as once you set off on a package holiday, you are in their hands.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The flight tracking sites show the flight leaving as scheduled to leave at 8 35pm and leaving at 8 49pm

I would say their claim is with TUI if they gave them the wrong information.

Maybe the 1 hour difference between British Summer Time and European Daylight Saving time caused confusion.
  • yvonne_le
    Options
    The time they had on the paperwork from TUI was landing in Manchester at 22.30 and thy sent the coach to pick them up from the hotel at the correct time on paperwork. Flybe had 2 flights landing from Paris and they were originally 1 hour and 30 mins apart but both took off and landed at the same time.

They have been to the TUi shop were they booked but they were not interested however they have kept all the paperwork boarding passes etc so will be raising a complaint with the head office.
  • ONG
    ONG Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi All

Went through resolver to register for an over 24 hour flight delay on a Tui flight out of Tenerife. Claim has been rejected on the following grounds;

"our delay handling logs show that the delay was due to in-flight damage caused by foreign object which required immediate assessment for safety of the flight. So as to help both customers and airlines, the European Commission has recently published draft guidelines as to what amounts to extraordinary circumstances. This list was prepared with the assistance of the various national bodies responsible for regulating the aviation industry across Europe.In this draft, the Commission has intimated that the following would be considered extraordinary circumstances:

20. In-flight damage to the aircraft during the preceding flight, caused by a foreign-object, and which requires immediate assessment and/or repair. "

Thoughts on how to proceed would be welcome !
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ONG wrote: »
    Hi All

Went through resolver to register for an over 24 hour flight delay on a Tui flight out of Tenerife. Claim has been rejected on the following grounds;

20. In-flight damage to the aircraft during the preceding flight, caused by a foreign-object, and which requires immediate assessment and/or repair. "

Thoughts on how to proceed would be welcome !

Hi ONG,

20 Unexpected flight safety shortcomings
    In-flight damage to the aircraft during the preceding flight, caused by a foreign-object, and which requires immediate assessment and/or repair.

What the airline seem to be alluding to is a bird strike to the, or a, previous flight. This makes your delay a 'knock on' of a previous problem. Further details are required to be sure of the cause.

If it was a bird strike to your flight, it would be classed as an extraordinary circumstance (EC) which would exempt the airline from having to pay compensation.

However, as the 'problem' was to a previous flight and also because the airline failed to 'take all reasonable measures' to ensure a speedy recovery from the original problem I believe compensation is due. 24 hours is not a speedy resolution imo.

This is what the regs say about reasonable measures...

e. Reasonable measures an air carrier can be expected to take in extraordinary circumstances
    Whenever extraordinary circumstances arise an air carrier must, in order to be released from the obligation to pay compensation, show that it could not avoid them even if it had taken all reasonable measures to this effect.
    Furthermore, the Court52 has found that under Article 5(3) of the Regulation, an air carrier can be required to organise its resources in good time so that it is possible to operate a programmed flight once the extraordinary circumstances have ceased, that is to say, during a certain period following the scheduled departure time. In particular, the air carrier should provide for a certain reserve time to allow it, if possible, to operate the flight in its entirety once the extraordinary circumstances have come to an end. Such reserve time is assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • ONG
    ONG Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks very much for the information. I shall carefully consider it.
  • philng
    philng Posts: 801 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I referred my TUI case (ref 8496) for flight delay 4th March to CEDR 9th April following initial rejection by TUI 6th April (which I assumed was their final response).

CEDR requested further information last week which I submitted but have now come back to me saying I need to continue to challenge TUI for 8 weeks before they can review the case. This is despite a rejection by TUI 6th April.

Anyway I have forwarded a challenge e mail to TUI today as the reason they have given for delay (flight crew limitations) differs from that provided by the Captain when boarding (weather well over 24 hours previously). I have requested a final response from TUI by 7th May at latest in order that can respond to CEDR by the deadline they have set of 8th May.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback