Windows 10

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, just upgraded from Windows7 to 10 how do I get my gadgets back? Especially the clock.

Mike.

You dont. Not from M$ anyway
  • pistonvalve
    Options
    Thank you custardy, How do I turn off the web cam mic, it seems to be enabled all the while? causing audio feedback with the TV etc.

Mike.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    No. Read this......http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-windows-10s-wi-fi-sense-feature-is-not-a-security-risk/

It's been posted before here, so your research wouldn't have taken much more effort.;)

If you set your WiFi to share for one particular contact, e.g. your son's mate, it gets shared for ALL contacts. Including that neighbour I mentioned, who now might accidentally or unintentionally log on via your WiFi (How will he tell PLUSNETf3w5636f apart from PLUSNET0wev0waza as the Wifi ID?).

He might not even get logged off if you disable the feature, until he disconnects then tries to reconnect.

Another thing I wonder about. You often hear how hackers and criminals are tracked to a physical address via their IP addresses and the IP address records are used in court as evidence. So what happens now about that neighbour - do you take responsibility for all his internet transactions?
  • alderpoint
    alderpoint Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Another thing I wonder about. You often hear how hackers and criminals are tracked to a physical address via their IP addresses and the IP address records are used in court as evidence. So what happens now about that neighbour - do you take responsibility for all his internet transactions?

IANAL, but no court is going to convict solely on the basis of such evidence, as clearly someone else using your WiFi is a distinct possibility - free public wifi hotspots do this routinely and not all have a reliable user identification/authentication mechanism.
    My postings reflect my lifetime's experience and my opinion. You are quite welcome to respond with your experiences and option, whether similar or different.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you custardy, How do I turn off the web cam mic, it seems to be enabled all the while? causing audio feedback with the TV etc.

Mike.

is cortana listening in?

there shouldn't be any feedback unless you've got something untoward running, or are running a sound recording application
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • pistonvalve
    pistonvalve Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Logitech C290 web camera is not compatible with windows10 The windows7 driver cannot be reloaded into windows10 Mmmm!!

Mike.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Well its a trackpad,not a mouse then ;)

My trackpad mouse keeps on freezing - I have checked Asus website and drivers are not available for Win 10 - I am using Win 8.1 drivers - could that be the problem ?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alderpoint wrote: »
    IANAL, but no court is going to convict solely on the basis of such evidence, as clearly someone else using your WiFi is a distinct possibility - free public wifi hotspots do this routinely and not all have a reliable user identification/authentication mechanism.

Even the fact that the plot might come knocking is worrying!
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    Edge is a work in progress and by no means the complete package. When it is able to use the Chrome/Firefox add ons it could be one to watch.

Not if Oracle wins it's case against Google in the Supreme Court it won't. Those API's will be enforceable by copyright, silly I know but that's the US copyright/patent system for you.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • creme_brulee
    Options
    I downloaded 10 yesterday and can get google browser and commented to internet - no problem, however when I go into outlook or the edge, it keeps saying I am not connected and can't open folders, I am so confused! Could anyone advise as I can't get to my emails in outlook..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure