Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    When we agreed to join it was only six months discounted, but was still better than what Sky offered at the time.

A week after we cancelled Sky, they offered much better comeback deals than they did when I cancelled.
  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you mustve been on a an unusual contract. Most seem to be 18 months now, and tie in to a higher rate after 12 months
    Virgin have now offered me a 12 month £70 for their top package, but rising to an extortionate £120 for the last 6 months. She said that rate is fixed so I cant get out if their prices rise - like you seemed to have ?
    I can negotiate after the initial 12 months , and either get a new reduced contract or take stuff off I dont really need for the last 6 months (eg Movies )
    As I tried to haggle the £70 for a fixed 12 months instead, they said the best 12 month fixed they could offer is £87 .
    I was hoping to speak to Sky one last time to see their best rate before deciding which way to go, but cant imagine I will get them down to about £50 for my current package , and then order BT Sport seperate,

Im just torn between the more expensive fixed 12 months, or pay £17 less for 12 months and then have to haggle again.
  • ninjalondon
    Options
    Tried couple of times last week with retentions.

200mb, anytime extra calls, xl tv,3 tivos, line rental = 89 a month. By removing 1 tivo it made little difference.

Sky offered Sky Q 2tb, boxsets, 1mini
    Fibre max unlimited (76mb - and i should get about 70mb based on previous exp)
    Unlimited calls to uk mobiles, landlines etc
    Line rental

All 12 months at 59 month.and 10 installation/activation.

Funny thing is Sky have requested the telephone number to be ported....virgin now offering the same as before with 3 tivos but with 100mb bb for 45 month for 12 months

If only my bb actually worked long enough for it to be worthwhile but it's been 9 months since we've been promised the utilisation issue to be fixed.......and its been down 3 times this week. Maybe time to move on.
  • chib
    Options
    Mr_Benn wrote: »
    She said that rate is fixed so I cant get out if their prices rise - like you seemed to have ?

I was the email from ML that made me check it out, quote below and source.

"According to rules imposed by regulator Ofcom, if there are mid-contract increases to your monthly line rental, broadband or mobile bill that weren't announced before you joined, you can cancel your contract without paying early termination charges."

Source
    Sky offered Sky Q 2tb, boxsets, 1mini
    Fibre max unlimited (76mb - and i should get about 70mb based on previous exp)
    Unlimited calls to uk mobiles, landlines etc
    Line rental

All 12 months at 59 month.and 10 installation/activation.

Sounds like a similar deal to mines, good job.
  • Mr_Benn
    edited 3 September 2016 at 4:06PM
    Options
    Still cant get hold of the Sky retentions team to see what they can still offer me .
    What I have become aware of tho is the amount of negative posts about the Virgin TV box (TiVo). With the amount of grief I would get off my family if it was rubbish, then it wouldn't be worth swapping.
    I cant believe it gets so much bad feedback. Surely that stops others from swapping / staying. I don't care about having 1tb , just make it faster and more user friendly Id say !
    Which is a shame as I like idea of getting a better package from Virgin than I currently get from Sky, for the same money
  • Mr_Benn
    edited 4 September 2016 at 10:42AM
    Options
    Whilst Im still pondering (my Wife calls it faffing ! ) , just wonder how you guys find the actual quality of the picture on Virgin ?
    Ask this as the quality on Sky is very good , especially in HD. We have a decent Sony TV (not UHD)

I am still concerned about the quality of the Tivo box, the number of complaints on the 'official' Virgin website is very concerning.
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have Tivo box (just given Virgin notice to leave) thinking of moving to Sky but not done it yet. I feel our Tivo box has been very slow for the past couple of months and sometimes seems to take ages to load etc.. it gets there in the end but its not as good as when it was first installed. Picture on the TV is good.
  • chib
    Options
    The quality of the video is comparable to Sky, IMO.

However the TiVo box does have a noticeable lag. When you press a button there is a very slightly delay before the box responds, you don't have this with Sky and will notice it without question. Some screens are slow to render also, sometimes you can press home and the structure of the page will display but the text and images show a couple of seconds later.

Not big issues, but noticeable. I picked up a Logitech Harmony remote today and the delay is the same as with the original "Peanut" remote.

Some people will claim their TiVo boxes don't have this lag, but I sense it's BS. It has existed on all boxes I've seen and used.
  • theshoefairy
    Options
    Just called VM.

Currently on Medium TV
    50 MB broadband
    Phone which I don't use for £67/month

Called and said that I was thinking of cancelling as it's too expensive.

He offered:

Tivo Box
    100MB Broadband with new router
    Big fun bundle for £61.50 per month.

I said I would think about it and call back.

Is this good enough?
  • grt1
    grt1 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I cancelled almost 2 weeks ago and no sign of a callback from retentions at all. Have they given up? - can't get sky fibre either which is a shame.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback