Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• Debsnewbudget
    Options
    Sorry Alex but when he is 17 I doubt you will find a basic phone.
    When you think of how technology has moved on in the last 12 years.
    Just keep an open mind ........
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry Alex but when he is 17 I doubt you will find a basic phone.
    When you think of how technology has moved on in the last 12 years.
    Just keep an open mind ........

Debs, how technology has moved on during the last 12 years is concerning. Keeping an open mind to my son potentially being active on social media isn't something I really want to consider.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I must be a terrible parent then Alex :p Teenagers do tend to have minds of their own, trying to control their every move does not work in my experience. Out of interest how would you react to your parents being very strict and attempting to hold you back from the usual modern day things your peers enjoyed?

On the flip side, would you want a ds that at virtually adult age was happy to be dictated to about such things?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Challenge 1 update:
    Sorry to say I've once again failed to do anything about this. Can't use the excuse of work today as I haven't done much of that either. Had a bad morning and this evening I managed to bump my head and now feel terrible, so there's my excuse.

In other financial news, Mrs K and I seem to have overspent this month and will not be able to make an overpayment. I think next month my challenge will be to budget properly and make a £500 overpayment.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    . Keeping an open mind to my son potentially being active on social media isn't something I really want to consider.

Do we have an ostrich emoticon?

144.gif
    This one's cute but I was thinking more of one who gets kicked up the ar*e while he has his head firmly buried in the sand. ;)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 19 March 2016 at 12:50AM
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    I must be a terrible parent then Alex :p Teenagers do tend to have minds of their own, trying to control their every move does not work in my experience. Out of interest how would you react to your parents being very strict and attempting to hold you back from the usual modern day things your peers enjoyed?

On the flip side, would you want a ds that at virtually adult age was happy to be dictated to about such things?

If it works for you and your children are sensible, I don't think you're a bad parent. :)

My parents were very strict and I remember not being allowed things that I could "waste time" on (televisions, computers, games consoles etc.). I was allowed a record player and a collection of "approved" LPs but not a radio / CD / cassette in case I spent my evenings listening to hip hop. :rotfl: My interaction with the "modern world" happened at school. Of course I resented it at the time, felt it unfair and due to my parents' ages. Now I'm a parent I understand and do not want my son to rely on electronic devises for entertainment.

If my son had decided to spend his allowance on such a device, I wouldn't confiscate it (my parents did if I bought anything they disapproved of) but I wouldn't be giving him extra money to spend on such things.

ETA: I believe a mobile 'phone contract is a credit agreement and therefore you must be 18 to obtain one.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Do we have an ostrich emoticon?

144.gif
    This one's cute but I was thinking more of one who gets kicked up the ar*e while he has his head firmly buried in the sand. ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Very funny, maman.

Seriously, I see little wrong with not wanting my (one day teenage) son to be online sending rude pictures of himself to girls / abuse to his peers / posting drunk photos that can be seen by the world etc. etc.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If your future teen is inclined towards those sort of unpleasant hobbies, I doubt a mobile will make it much worse :D

Contact with you is a valid reason though, not so many phone boxes around nowadays you know ;)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    If your future teen is inclined towards those sort of unpleasant hobbies, I doubt a mobile will make it much worse :D

Contact with you is a valid reason though, not so many phone boxes around nowadays you know ;)

:rotfl: I'm sure we've all done things as teenagers that we later regret but at least those of my generation (and earlier) won't have the world knowing about those things.

At 14-18 had there been a possibility of a girl I fancied sending me a picture of herself in a "compromising position" without the possibility of my parents ever knowing about it or me being able to send messages to people I didn't like without teachers being aware or documenting my drunken escapades I'd have thought it hilarious. Yes, unpleasant but this is how a teenager's mind works. If you think back to what you did, I doubt you'd want your children having access to social media either.

As for contact, that's why I think a 'phone when he's passed his driving test would be appropriate.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you're seriously in danger of raising your son to be incapable of navigating a modern , adult world. Which is what you feel yourself not able to do. Sorry for such a harsh observation Alex.
    Don't give up on the challenge. What about sorting more wheels out? That seemed a great way to get rid of stuff that was cluttering space up and raise some decent money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure