Free EHIC Discussion

Options

Comments

• ericthelobster
    Options
    I was involved in an accident in France about a month ago; I was blue-lighted to a hospital and treated for a broken collarbone. I used my EHIC card and wasn't charged anything else at the time.

I'm aware that foreign hospitals sometimes send invoices to foreign patients at home later on. I have an outstanding travel insurance claim to submit for other expenses, and am wondering how likely it is that I have yet to be sent a bill for medical expenses from France? Anyone know?
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was involved in an accident in France about a month ago; I was blue-lighted to a hospital and treated for a broken collarbone. I used my EHIC card and wasn't charged anything else at the time.

I'm aware that foreign hospitals sometimes send invoices to foreign patients at home later on. I have an outstanding travel insurance claim to submit for other expenses, and am wondering how likely it is that I have yet to be sent a bill for medical expenses from France? Anyone know?
    I would have thought that they would have charged you at the time. I had 1 night in an Italian hospital 3 years ago. I wasn't charged when there and no further bill followed it.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Did you read the OP - MSE have fingers in many pies but I don't think the French healthcare sector is one of them!
  • ericthelobster
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Did you read the OP - MSE have fingers in many pies but I don't think the French healthcare sector is one of them!
    Meaning ?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/healthcare-when-travelling-abroad/healthcare-in-france/
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • cliffh
    cliffh Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    When I try to download the app mentioned, I get a message saying:

"App Not Available

This app is currently not available in your country region."
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    cliffh wrote: »
    When I try to download the app mentioned, I get a message saying:

"App Not Available

This app is currently not available in your country region."
    Where was this app mentioned?
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The only app link mentioned was spam which was deleted by the forum team.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ericthelobster
    Options
    katejo wrote: »
    I would have thought that they would have charged you at the time
    Well - for what it's worth, I was indeed finally sent my only bill from the French hospital (ie, after having presented my EHIC card); about 3 months after I was discharged. It amounted to about 29 Euros.

Although I had already put in my travel insurance claim by then, and received the payout, my insurers had no problem with adding on the extra and refunding that separately.
  • cliffh
    cliffh Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Where was this app mentioned?

In the "Free EHIC" article.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts