PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Ginmonster
    Options
    While the tea was brewing I chopped all the veg and lobbed it in a pan with a handful of lentils, a spoon of chutney and some stock. It's bubbling away now and I feel much better that I made the effort. That'll do lunch for a few days. 😀
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On the subject of "to meal plan or not to meal plan" I usually do (on a flexible basis so I can swap meals around if need be). If I don't, I find myself wasting a lot of time trying to decide what to make and get quite cross with myself for being lazy. :(
    purplevamp wrote: »
    Today I counted up 4 and a half heads of celery in the fridge :eek: I think they're multiplying by themselves. They're all still really crisp which is good. But how much celery can you eat without getting sick of it?!! :rotfl:

If you've got room in your freezer, you could chop some of it up and freeze for use later in soup, casserole etc. No need to blanch first.

Still got more than enough food stocks in to feed a small army :o BUT I haven't binned anything and am using up bits and bobs as I go along. Example: pudding last night was a sliced banana with custard that I'd made to use up the last bit of UHT milk. Enough custard left for tonight too, probably with half a chopped apple (that didn't make it into a hm curry) and a few sultanas.

Jackie: I use green peppers sliced and lightly fried with onion and thin strips of beef for a stir fry. (Not sure if that's helpful to you though, as I seem to remember you saying you didn't "do" stir fry.) Somehow, they don't seem as bitter done this way.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hev,

My first attempt at this will be today. The food stuffs are laid out & the thinking cap is on:o

I will pop in later & let you know what I cooked & how successful or not it was!

Wish me luck:o

MrsSD

Hi fellow LFHW people,

I decided on an open flan which was a COMPLETE SUCCESS according to my DH:j

Preheated oven to 200C. Rolled out the lo puff pastry very thinly on foil & placed foil & pastry on a baking tray. Fried couple of sliced shallots, a sliced mushroom & last of the slices of salami chopped. Smeared the last of the onion gravy paste over the pastry & some tomato pur!e then added the fried bits, pitted black olives - halved, an ood (7th Jan) goats cheese - broken up scattered over the top, half a thinly sliced tomato & seasoned with oregano, paprika, salt & pepper. Used lo sliced red pepper to surround the filling then folded over the edges of the pastry & brushed with milk. About 30 mins in the oven & voila - a full tummy & more leftovers used up.

Thanks again Hev:T

MrsSD:j:T
    LFHW
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cappella wrote: »
    I make celery soup, it’s one of my favourite soups, love it’s fresh taste :)

Does it taste too celery-like or is it quite mild? I like celery but not sure if I could eat soup made just of that!! Maybe I could add some carrots or cabbage to soften the taste :D
    YorksLass wrote: »
    If you've got room in your freezer, you could chop some of it up and freeze for use later in soup, casserole etc. No need to blanch first.

This is one of the ideas I was thinking of, just need to get round to doing it! :o I sometimes chop and bag the last of a head and use that in meals.

DH is making a roast for dinner tonight. I can smell it wafting up the stairs :drool: Hopefully they'll be enough leftovers for a quick mini roast lunch for work.
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £79.56 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    purplevamp wrote: »
    Does it taste too celery-like or is it quite mild? I like celery but not sure if I could eat soup made just of that!! Maybe I could add some carrots or cabbage to soften the taste :D

I'm not mad keen on celery but I made a batch of celery & bacon soup last week (first time); it was much nicer than I expected it to be and would definitely make it again. :) So perhaps that might work for you? If not, I can't see why you couldn't add whatever you think might work. Soups are very forgiving! :D

FWIW: I used the following for 4 generous portions:

Some chopped onion, celery and a blob of garlic puree cooked gently in a little bit of melted butter for about 15mins till the veggies are soft but not brown - stir now and again.
    Add chopped bacon (I used bits from a pack of cooking bacon), cook for a further 2 mins.
    Add 1.5 pts of chicken stock (from a cube) and 1 level tsp mixed herbs.
    Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 15 mins.
    Cool slightly before blitzing in blender. Add S&P to taste.
    If you want a creamy texture, add about 3 tblsp dried milk powder and blitz again.
    (It helps if you remove any stringy bits from the celery before cooking but you can always sieve the soup to catch any escapees. ;) )

Will freeze well.

Can you tell I don't do exact quantities? ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well for my dinner tonight, I made up a sachet of flavoured cous cous that was bb march 17 and had it with a ridiculously quick curry that I made with the mayflower curry sauce, a handful of frozen peas and some cooked and frozen chicken that we had. It was actually quite nice. I had half the cous cous tonight and will have the other half tomorrow.

Dd had another baked potato with garlic butter, cheese and beans.

OH took something from the freezer. There are only a few meals in there that he will eat (he wouldn't entertain what either of us had)!).

I'm trying to stay out of the shops for as long as possible. We have £18 left of our budget and, though we don't budget because we HAVE to, I'm so competitive that I want to be within target! I know it won't happen though... ��

Also, you may remember that I decided not to fly on Friday. Well yes, we obviously lost the money (though can reclaim the tax), however the airport I should have been flying from was closed due to bad weather today and my flight is currently delayed by 3.5 hours. Wouldn't be so bad, but I'd have been flying with my 11yo and 5 month old! I feel vindicated in my decision not to travel :)
  • lickylonglips
    Options
    I made a pan of pea soup from a potato, two sad-looking carrots, a diced onion, a stock cube and a tin of mushy peas.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 January 2018 at 8:46AM
    Options
    I made a pan of pea soup from a potato, two sad-looking carrots, a diced onion, a stock cube and a tin of mushy peas.

That sounds like a brilliant 'have a go at ' soup if you have never made soup before, and quite inexpensive as well i would chuck some end bits of diced ham in and also perhaps a teaspoon of paprika to give it a kick or a dollop of sweet chilli sauce ( you can tell I like spicy food ;) Keep those recipes coming chums :T
  • lickylonglips
    Options
    Asda's own brand mushy peas are 19p a tin, whereas their smart price ones are 20p. Been like that for a few months now.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless I am cooking chops, chicken breast etc. I am really bad at portion control even tho' it has only ever been OH and me in the household, it is made slightly worse by my small appetite.

The bonus is that tomorrow I can feed OH with a good sized portion of yesterday's bolognaise bake and I can have some of the over production of Remoska mushroom rice perhaps with 2 poached or fried eggs on mine and probably enough to have with some tinned tuna for a lunch too:D

Mrs Salad Dodger - I may pinch your idea as I have a pack of GF puff pastry which needs using and I have ham, several varieties of cheese, peppers, tomatoes etc.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback