Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Options

Comments

• Maxwell007
    Options
    Thanks for all the above information but maybe I should stick with trustworthy over priced eon lool
  • youravinalarrrf
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I would change supplier, 19p / kWh for gas is extortionate. 392 kWh would cost me around £8 extra per year (maybe your sums are wrong) :D

Well done! I was waiting to see who would spot that and you're soooo not wrong! I hate bloody know-alls! :D

220px-Wilson_and_Mainwaring.png

My excuses are it was a bit early and I'd not had my fix of coffee and my eyes were all blurry. :D

Just rechecked my crap calculation and the extra 392 kWh would actually cost me an extra £10.17 for the year.

So I'm now re-guesstimating it at a £7.50 overcharge per customer per year. If they have 10000 customers that's still £75,000! :rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

So I'm now re-guesstimating it at a £7.50 overcharge per customer per year. If they have 10000 customers that's still £75,000! :rotfl:

I am in that ballpark but the amount is somewhat academic. The issue is Regulatory compliance.

I suspect that Iresa now has a major software issue on its hands as its standard 'multipliers' are no longer fixed as they depend on region, calorific values and days between bills. In my view, Iresa also has a duty to reverse all previous gas bills and apply the correct volume to kWh conversion. This will no doubt take Iresa time and resources which, given the errors to date on my online account, is already a struggling to cope small supplier. I think that they rather hoped that a smart looking online account would do all the sums for them with minimum human intervention.
  • youravinalarrrf
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I think that they rather hoped that a smart looking online account would do all the sums for them with minimum human intervention.

It would be if only Iresa had taken more care in setting up their system and checking that if fully complied with all the terms and conditions of their Operators License before going live. This is why I also suggested earlier that Ofgem ought to be performing rigorous checks on suppliers systems before issuing the License and allowing them to go live and sell energy to the British public.

Iresa are not the first and probably won't be the last new supplier to make this same mistake.

Clearly the existing system for awarding Operators Licenses is failing badly and it would seem that any Tom, !!!! or Harry can apply for and obtain an Operators License with relative ease just by ticking a few boxes on a form.

I think my email to Mr. Oladeji will probably have been a definite brown trouser moment for him when the full implications of what it actually means dawned on him. :D

Anyway he'd better hurry up and get on with it, the clocks ticking and I'm now counting down the days until I officially become a customer. :rotfl:
  • System
    Options
    It would be if only Iresa had taken more care in setting up their system and checking that if fully complied with all the terms and conditions of their Operators License before going live. This is why I also suggested earlier that Ofgem ought to be performing rigorous checks on suppliers systems before issuing the License and allowing them to go live and sell energy to the British public.

Iresa are not the first and probably won't be the last new supplier to make this same mistake.

Clearly the existing system for awarding Operators Licenses is failing badly and it would seem that any Tom, !!!! or Harry can apply for and obtain an Operators License with relative ease just by ticking a few boxes on a form.

I think my email to Mr. Oladeji will probably have been a definite brown trouser moment for him when the full implications of what it actually means dawned on him. :D

Anyway he'd better hurry up and get on with it, the clocks ticking and I'm now counting down the days until I officially become a customer. :rotfl:

I have just had a response back from Iresa to say that the matter has been escalated to their Compliance Department. Sounds very grand for a minnow supplier.

I very much agree with your comments about Ofgem: it is a very light touch Regulator and it said as much when it set up the Customer Supplier Default levy. It implied that it had neither the time nor the resources to monitor the financial side of a supplier's business.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm still considering going over to Iresa as they're showing cheapest for me. What I'm a bit lost working out the issues on this thread though, is it implying that I would be charged more than was actually quoted based on my consumption when it comes to billing?
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    martyp wrote: »
    I'm still considering going over to Iresa as they're showing cheapest for me. What I'm a bit lost working out the issues on this thread though, is it implying that I would be charged more than was actually quoted based on my consumption when it comes to billing?
    You would be charged what was quoted per kwh for what you use, but you may find you use more than you expected to.

Gas is paid for by kWh but supplied and metered by volume (hundreds of cubic feet or cubic metres depending on how old your meter is).
    To accurately bill you, an energy company has to know how many kWhrs of energy you can get from each unit of gas you consume (or to be more accurate how many calories of energy known as the calorific value)
    Being a natural product, the quality of gas varies. There are upper and lower limits on what it's allowed to be, and regular measurements are taken across the network.
    Because of this variation, it's not possible to bill customers exactly for the kwh worth of gas they got, so an average of the measured values should be used for each region of the country.
    There are strict rules on how the average can be generated, the rules changed at some point in the past and Iresa didn't change the way they bill to suit the change.
    Iresa (by mistake or malace, personaly I expect its the former) use a single, fixed calorific value for the whole country.
    In some parts of the country other suppliers (working to the regs) use different calorific values
    For example, where I live, they use a value of 39.5, Iresa use 40.3841. (about 2.2% in other regions it may be more or less)
    The effect is, that for a given volume of gas, Iresa say it has 2.2% more kWh's than other companies and charge the customer more as a result (this is separate to the fact that different companies have different prices per kWh of gas).
    Iresa have had this error pointed out to them, and it's also been raised with the regulator, so it's likely this will get sorted out by one or the other before too long.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Maxwell007 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the above information but maybe I should stick with trustworthy over priced eon lool

I tend to think of Iresa as an informed consumers choice, energy company. If you are choosing based on the cheapest price alone, and are aware of any issues which you may have and are happy with having to deal with any issues, then by all means, choose Iresa?

If, taking everything into consideration, you are happy with your current energy supplier, (apart from price,) it's a difficult decision? Only you, can decide what is important to you?

Other energy suppliers are available. :)
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • youravinalarrrf
    Options
    Apart from a backlog due to the increasing numbers of customers the only other current issue that I'm aware of is the calorific value being used in the conversion from units kWh for gas and obviously on existing bills. For an average gas user the financial implication of this error is around £7.50 over a 12 month period - so pretty small in the bigger picture.

I'm assured by Mr. Oladeji (the Director) that this issue is currently being reviewed and will be corrected. If not Ofgem have been made aware of the issue and they will ensure that Iresa fully complies.

Once this blip has been rectified the system should run automatically and unless you're a customer who needs their hand holding there really is no need for customer service as such although it's there online or by phone if you don't mind a wait on hold.

As long as you enter meter readings when requested and provide them yourself on the last day of every month you really should have no problems and no need to use their customer service.

If all else fails you can just switch to another supplier with no exit penalties.
  • System
    Options
    martyp wrote: »

All suppliers have issues. Provided the customer keeps a close eye on usage and provides frequent meter readings then the problems are annoying but minor. There is no doubt that CS is struggling but they have taken action in the past to cut themselves off from consumers when time is needed to put things right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure