Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cossack
    • By Cossack 25th Jun 18, 12:12 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Cossack
    Future Energy Administration
    • 25th Jun 18, 12:12 PM
    Future Energy Administration 25th Jun 18 at 12:12 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Please don't include personal details of company staff in your posts. Please see our Forum Rules if you're unsure why.

Thank you.

Back to the original post...

---

I was a Future Energy customer until they went bust in January and I jumped ship to EON. I have heard nothing from them or their administrators until today when I received a letter from RSM Restructuring Advisory LLPs appointed representatives, CDS Global Ltd who claim I owe them some money as a former customer of Future Energy. The amount is not a lot (its under 50) but I am unsure whether the letter is bona fide or not. Accompanying the letter is a statement which has all the relevant information (start date, end date, tariff, unit rate etc.) so it looks genuine. Has anyone else had a similar letter and can anyone confirm if the request is genuine?
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 29-08-2018 at 9:44 AM.
Page 7
    • Dawsa101
    • By Dawsa101 25th Oct 18, 5:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dawsa101
    Recalculation Costs
    Eventually after months of trying someone actually answered the 0800 number! After giving them all my information (4th time!) I received an email today with a recalculated figure ( they used my calculations not theirs) originally 281 down to 174!
    I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had actually offered a lesser amount that has been accepted by CDS? Im thinking of offering 120 (in good faith!)
    Any advice from someone in a silmilar position would be appreciated, thanks.
    • totalguitar
    • By totalguitar 25th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    totalguitar
    Eventually after months of trying someone actually answered the 0800 number! After giving them all my information (4th time!) I received an email today with a recalculated figure ( they used my calculations not theirs) originally 281 down to 174!
    I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had actually offered a lesser amount that has been accepted by CDS? Im thinking of offering 120 (in good faith!)
    Any advice from someone in a silmilar position would be appreciated, thanks.
    Originally posted by Dawsa101
    If you owe 174 then pay 174.
    • Dawsa101
    • By Dawsa101 26th Oct 18, 2:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dawsa101
    Because I have spent many hours of my valueabe time working going through emails & documents, let alone the many emails & even more in phone calls, so I will be offsetting these costs against the final bill, My question was hase anyone else (in a similar position) offered a lesser amount?... I am well aware I can pay the 174 if if wish to do so.
    But thank you for your advice.
    • totalguitar
    • By totalguitar 26th Oct 18, 5:20 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    totalguitar
    Because I have spent many hours of my valueabe time working going through emails & documents, let alone the many emails & even more in phone calls, so I will be offsetting these costs against the final bill, My question was hase anyone else (in a similar position) offered a lesser amount?... I am well aware I can pay the 174 if if wish to do so.
    But thank you for your advice.
    Originally posted by Dawsa101
    You won't be able to justify that in a court of law as you have no contract in place to say that you are able to offset what you owe them. I think we are all happy to pay what we owe as long as the amount calculated is correct. Good luck though and the advice was my pleasure.
    • robinlane569
    • By robinlane569 1st Nov 18, 8:55 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    robinlane569
    I think I have finally got mine sorted. I managed to get hold of someone via the phone number and explained that I had a Future Energy bill saying what I owed and the amount that CDS was asking for was different. The lady kept saying I need to pay what I owe and I said I would but I dispute what I'm being asked for. She agreed to look into it and the key thing here is I got her personal email to forward my bill to. After it was sent I followed up regularly asking for any updates. I was still getting texts and emails for the disputed amounts but I always emailed to get confirmation that I could ignore those. After about 4 weeks I finally got a new bill for the correct amount and this has now been paid. I made sure to ask for confirmation that the matter is now closed and I have received this. Fingers crossed this is the end of this messy situation!!! Hope this helps some of you. Good luck!!
    • cossydoctor
    • By cossydoctor 8th Nov 18, 3:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cossydoctor
    Help
    Hi all this is my first post i appear to be in the same situation as many others. Ive had a few emails asking me to pay 379 pounds. I tried to call a few times no answer left messages no reply etc so contacted Green star (new provider) who confirmed i did not owe anything at the point they took over from Future energy. I eventually got through to a girl at CDS who seemed to have an attitude problem and could not explain why they thought i owe money all she could tell me was i would be paying it one way or another. I called back again and spoke to a real nice guy who explained that Future energy had undercharged for the units id received and they were recovering the money so for all i owed nothing when they closed and was payed up that because i was undercharged i did in fact owe. I questioned how this was possible as i had a contract with Future energy stating what i would pay which i did pay so surely if there is a shortfall thats down to future energy no myself as i payed what was agreed.
    Unfortunately i do no have records of meter readings etc but i was on a smart meter so they should be able to see exactly what i used. Im more than happy to pay what i owe if i do really owe but not happy to give cash away for someones guess work of an estimated calculation.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 8th Nov 18, 3:28 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    wavelets
    Hi all this is my first post i appear to be in the same situation as many others. Ive had a few emails asking me to pay 379 pounds. I tried to call a few times no answer left messages no reply etc so contacted Green star (new provider) who confirmed i did not owe anything at the point they took over from Future energy. I eventually got through to a girl at CDS who seemed to have an attitude problem and could not explain why they thought i owe money all she could tell me was i would be paying it one way or another. I called back again and spoke to a real nice guy who explained that Future energy had undercharged for the units id received and they were recovering the money so for all i owed nothing when they closed and was payed up that because i was undercharged i did in fact owe. I questioned how this was possible as i had a contract with Future energy stating what i would pay which i did pay so surely if there is a shortfall thats down to future energy no myself as i payed what was agreed.
    Unfortunately i do no have records of meter readings etc but i was on a smart meter so they should be able to see exactly what i used. Im more than happy to pay what i owe if i do really owe but not happy to give cash away for someones guess work of an estimated calculation.
    Originally posted by cossydoctor
    Welcome to MSE

IF an energy supplier has previously undercharged you, and they (or their successors) now have now identified that and seek to correct it, then they must have records of what you were previously charged and what you paid.

Whilst you will be unable to double check with your own records what they charged if you failed to keep your own records (I'm surprised you didn't notice at the time - they could have equally overcharged you!) you will be able to verify what you've paid (e.g. by bank records). So ask them what they originally charged you, and how that was allegedly undercharged, and compare that to the tariff you originally agreed.

Green Energy will be able to confirm the meter reading at the time they started supplying, if that is the issue.

As I understand it from Ofgem, Green Star would not have been provided with any details of any debt/debit on your account - they would only know details if the account was in credit (soI'd suggest taking any account balance from Green Star other than when in credit with Future Energy with a pinch of salt - as far as Green Star are concerned it probably was switched with a zero balance)
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/future-energy-customers-your-questions-new-supplier-green-star-energy

I’m paying back a debt / my account is in debit to Future Energy. Will I now pay this to Green Star Energy?

No. Instead Future Energy’s administrators will contact you directly to talk about repayment arrangements. You should contact Citizen’s Advice if you have any questions.
    Last edited by wavelets; 08-11-2018 at 3:39 PM.
    • wells
    • By wells 12th Nov 18, 1:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    wells
    This may be of use to some, I hope. After months of getting nowhere, I received an email from the administrator, as I knew the "debt" I am being chased for is actually a credit and I am owed money.

She said: "Unfortunately, as Joint Administrators we do not hold any information ourselves.

The case record management system of Future Energy (Supply) Limited was not retained by the Joint Administrators when the case was taken on s the system had experienced failures in relation to ongoing customer billing and customer account information was thus held within Excel spreadsheets. When the accounts were taken over, Green Star Energy was provided with data by Ofgem which was prepared during late January prior to the final energy usage being applied and, consequently, there were errors in the initial balances notified to customers. Unfortunately, these errors were then duplicated by Contract Debt Solutions Global Limited (CDS), who were appointed to deal with the account balances and collections and with which we have been liaising in an effort to resolve the issues."

I believe this is proof that the whole process is based on guesswork.
    • Mulaz
    • By Mulaz 21st Nov 18, 2:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mulaz
    I too have a letter from CDS asking for 500 . I have spoken to Green Star on two different occasions and they told me I had no debt when I was transferred across . They advised me to I disregard the letter and they would look into the matter. What Couse should I take? I like many only have my bank statements showing a monthly payment that is very similar to what I have been asked to pay green star today . Does anyone have a draft letter to sent back to CDS to inform them that they do not think they own any monies. Also what action would be taken next by CDS . Would it go to court?
    • Lynn.Sparrey
    • By Lynn.Sparrey 25th Nov 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lynn.Sparrey
    CDS and Future Energy
    I'm also a former Future Energy customer. I was with them for about 10 months during which time I paid regular monthly payments of 120 per month based on their requests and in that time despite posting regular meter readings was unable to get an acurrate bill even though they acknowledged receiving the readings and accepting them. I then finally received an estimated account for 900 which was totally incorrect as this was based on estimates only as they said they had not had any readings.I disputed this and finally lodged a complaint with the Ombudsman but they went into receivership so the Ombudsman could do no more.

This year I've also had the 'pleasure' of dealing with CDS who are saying I owe almost 3500.00 based on 11 months of estimated readings and information provided to them by Future Energy.

After months of disputing this and providing them with huge amounts of information and evidence which they seem incapable of reading, they 'kindl'y offered to recacluate the bill and said its now 1600. They refuse to say how this new amount has been cacluated or to provide me with a detailed statement but say they will offer me a 20% discount if I pay immediately.

They are a disgrace. I have been able to provide CDS with the final reading from my former supplier who I was with before I went to Future Energy and also the start up readings from Green Star Energy who took over from Future Energy.

Green Star were excellent in helping sort out the mess left by Future Energy. The readings they were given by Future Energy were 5 times higher than they real readings, which they were able to verify themselves through whatever systems they use nationally.

CDS are still ignoring the information provided to them. They also refuse to offer a letter of deadlock to take this to the Ombudsan as they say they don't have these. They have also still not provided me with a copy of their complaints procedure. So - all in all - they are hopeless and I guess the next stage is either the Ombudsmand - or the courts.

Come on Martin - there must be many hundreds of customers who have given in to the bullying and intimidatory methods used by CDS and just paid up. Given the amount of compalints that are building up is it not time to give this problem more publicity or attantion. Im sure it owuld eb really appreciated by all !!
    • molerat
    • By molerat 25th Nov 18, 3:02 PM
    • 19,958 Posts
    • 14,216 Thanks
    molerat
    If you have the final reading from your old supplier, the verified agreed opening reading from your new supplier and a list of payments then it is fairly straightforward to calculate exactly how much you owe or are in credit with Future. When you have worked that out you are in a rock solid position to argue with CDS.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • PappaB2019
    • By PappaB2019 4th Jan 19, 2:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PappaB2019
    Hi All

I have just received an email from 'Nat Toone', offering me a 50% discount off my 'estimated' balance if I pay it off between today and 31.1.19. I have posted previously about my issues with FE. She states 'This offer is limited to the timeframe above subsequently no further payment arrangements will be offered and the full balance will become immediately payable'. Just wondering if anyone has had this email and what's your views.

Thanks guys
    • Leesahlou
    • By Leesahlou 4th Jan 19, 3:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leesahlou
    CDS Global
    We too have been given an estimated bill based on estimated energy consumption from CDS of around 1000+ to then be offered a 50% discount from Nat.

We have refused to pay until the bill is accurate (as we estimate around 100-200 is owed) but frightened this will negatively impact our credit file.

What should we do?
    • UniquelyJoanna
    • By UniquelyJoanna 16th Jan 19, 11:53 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UniquelyJoanna
    Hi All

I have just received an email from 'Nat Toone', offering me a 50% discount off my 'estimated' balance if I pay it off between today and 31.1.19. I have posted previously about my issues with FE. She states 'This offer is limited to the timeframe above subsequently no further payment arrangements will be offered and the full balance will become immediately payable'. Just wondering if anyone has had this email and what's your views.

Thanks guys
    Originally posted by PappaB2019
    Had the same. Have written a physical letter (had no reply and they said they hadn't seen it) plus countless emails.

My 'bill' is just under 500.
    Oddly, a very similar amount to that which Green Star billed me initially.

My complaints are as follows:

Bill based on estimates.
    I was never informed FE had stopped trading.
    I was never informed my account had been handed to another company.
    CDS have never answered my concerns.
    I paid a similar amount to Green Star initially. Am I being billed twice?
    Texts from Nat Toone stating 50% reduction if paid by Jan 31st feel like threats.

The 50% reduction is not explained despite requests.
    FE at no point (even when taking readings) suggested that my (always paid)
    Direct debits were insufficient.

This dispute has been going on for over 7 months.
    CDS communication is risible.

I always reply via email, and have records of these.
    I asked, in my last communication , to raise an official complaint.
    No response except another demand via text today.

What on earth to do?
    How seriously do we take Nat Toone's deadline? I don't want to
    Pay anything until I have answers.
    The 50% reduction offered to everyone who complains seems
    nothing but a last ditch attempt to take money.
    • Debra10
    • By Debra10 16th Jan 19, 7:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Debra10
    My parents got the same letter asking for 432.76 and got a 50% settlement if they pay before the 31st January went to the bank to pay it and got told it was a scam. Not sure wat to do, I have seen on here this has happened to alot of people. On the letter it says you can pay over the phone, but when I spoke to them they said you have to pay by bank or online, got a bit suspicious. Need to look into this more before it gets paid or not..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,022Posts Today

8,076Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin