January save on work lunches challenge

Options

Comments

• sibles
    sibles Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    COUNT ME IN PLEASE!!!

I've got 20 wd - I'm going to aim for 17 wd. Less than one a week!! And its my birthday at the end of the month, so I'd like to go out then... need to save those lunch days!
    Clicking, searching and surveying my way to a life of debt freedom!
    Debt Free 27th Nov 2012
    Weight Loss so far: [STRIKE]12lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]13lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]15lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]16lb[/STRIKE] 17lb
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Me me - I'd like to join please!

I am lazy in the mornings when it comes to preparing lunch and I get bored of eating the same old things.

Tixy My challenge is going to be only buying one lunch per week (probably Friday as I like to treat myself to a jacket spud!)
    All other days I will either bring in prepared lunch or make do with cup soups/cup pastas etc from my desk drawer. My other weakness is going out to buy drinks (tea & coffee are free at work but I don't drink either) so I'm going to make sure I bring in diluted squash or water each day (and maybe bring in some hot chocolate sachets for the very cold days)

Today I have brought in soup to heat up, a slice of bread, 2 clementines and 2 bottles of diluted squash.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • PurpleJay
    PurpleJay Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya - day 1 is going well not spent anything yet. Brought into work leftover chilli, rice and tortilla, can of pop and 2 apples. Should keep me going :)

How's everyone doing?
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • nellis10
    nellis10 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Purple Jay!

I'm doing well so far - brought in Earl Grey t-bags and not bought any milk (10p/cup saved whilst trying to cut down a little and get used to black tea!)

Brought in a fruit bar and some oat biscuits from an old Diet Chef pack....need to get all these bits and pieces in my cupboard eaten somehow!!!

So hopefully it will continue to be a NSD and a NBL day!!! :T

Can I just say I have a horrible habit of starting all these good challenges and falling by the wayside after a week or two...so if anyone wants to buddy up with me and keep me on track I would be grateful!
    2024 Challenges
    • Grocery Budget (January £0/£300)
    • Decluttering (Underway!)
    • Frugal Living (January £0/£500
    • 24 in 2024 (0/24)
  • josephine82
    Options
    Count me in. I intend to bring ALL my lunches to work every day.
    Debt free as of 2 October 2009
    Mortgage free as of 27 March 2024
  • Intergalactic_Floozie
    Intergalactic_Floozie Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2010 at 2:45PM
    Options
    FLOOZIE WOULD LIKE TO JOIN......I have to do breakfasts at work as well as I start at 6am. I'm not back in work until Weds though.

My aim: To only have shop bought lunches twice in a month.

Have to say though, I'm completely fed up of trying to decide what to have for lunch (as I have to decide what I am going to have the day before when I'm not hungry, and other people's lunches always look so much better than your own!)
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target £8000
    Amount: £562.23
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    well i had my noodles and a packet of crisps...not very healthy! but hopefully i don't feel the need to buy food till i get home, only 5 and a half hours to go!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • sibles
    sibles Posts: 234 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2010 at 3:25PM
    Options
    nellis10
    I'll buddy up with you! I always have good intentions but never seem to see it through - lets get through January together!

As for my day 1 - had muesli and coffee before work, been making coffee all morning and bought lunch with me. So fingers crossed this will be my first one!

Becca
    Clicking, searching and surveying my way to a life of debt freedom!
    Debt Free 27th Nov 2012
    Weight Loss so far: [STRIKE]12lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]13lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]15lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]16lb[/STRIKE] 17lb
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Have to say though, I'm completely fed up of trying to decide what to have for lunch (as I have to decide what I am going to have the day before when I'm not hungry, and other people's lunches always look so much better than your own!)

Know how you feel Floozie, other people's always look better or sound better.
    In fact reading this thread I think I'm going to get packed lunch envy:D, already I wished I had bought in leftovers, rice & tortilla like PurpleJay had!

Think I'll try to use the thread for inspiration of new alternatives, I always seem to end up with soup at the moment:rolleyes:.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • nellis10
    nellis10 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Sibles! :beer:

We don't have a microwave in work so all my meals will either have to be cupasoup type (we have hot water) or sandwich based. Mind you...cold risotto is lovely! :)
    2024 Challenges
    • Grocery Budget (January £0/£300)
    • Decluttering (Underway!)
    • Frugal Living (January £0/£500
    • 24 in 2024 (0/24)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts