Mother in law taking photos of inside my house

Options

Comments

• Colliewobble12
    Options
    Haha, looks like someone broke into my house and tidied up!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok I'll be honest I looked at the photos because I am nosey! I am also not tidy at home, but I do see why someone who is more so would go quietly mad.

I also understand that a whole load of stuff just does not fit into a small space, I moved from a big bungalow to a smaller house, and though it has good storage, enough for most minimalists, it's just not big enough for a lifetime of 'stuff'. My child is grown so I can imagine what it would have been like when he was the age your children are and trying to let them have space for themselves and plenty of 'things to do' when there isn't that much room.

Definitely for my own sanity I would have to do something with the paperwork as that would worry me most, it's one of the few areas I really try to be organised, even if it's just some clear plastic wallets for the important bills, that really does help.

It's your home as has been said and you can have it how you want it, but you did say early on that you don't get much of a break from the housework. So the more you can find places for things the easier it will be to find them, and the less time you will be stressed hunting through for what you need each time? It will make life easier for you even if it doesn't help with MIL!

Good luck.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can I suggest a locked box for paperwork? Or filing cabinet if you can bring yourself to accommodate one? Mine has 3 drawers - one for paper, the other 2 for hiding stuff at speed... (Mother of 3 sons, and a far too frequently raided chocolate stash.)
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RebekahR wrote: »
    She took the baby from me (4 weeks old) and took her to the kitchen. ..... she had found a bottle teat in the cupboard and dipped it in the pot of sugar and gave it to the baby

She did what?!?!?!?
    Oh. My. God!
    What kind of a person does that to somebody else's baby, without even asking.
    That she has been allowed back in the house ever again shows that you are very forgiving.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well this is the thing isn't it. 2 people in the house. Hubby invites her - I never do. I agree as to why on earth she turns up. I keep suggesting a bed and breakfast as she cant stand the place. But she says there is no need for that. Would mean hastle for her gtting from there to our house to see the kids. although we could visit outside the house - too much hastle to arrange for her. WE both tell her off but she still does behind our back even if we have said no to X. She then gets shouted at she might say sorry. And repeat on the next visit ... Hubby owns and pays for the house so technically its his house and not mine!
    I've just noticed this (in bold).
    WOW!
    Just WOW!
    I'm beginning to think there is some culture difference to what I am used to...
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I've just noticed this (in bold).
    WOW!
    Just WOW!
    I'm beginning to think there is some culture difference to what I am used to...

Is she from a different culture to you, OP? The giving a newborn sugar thing reminds me of my in-laws (not that they would, but it sounds like the kind of thing that would've been suggested).
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The living room is a dump yet at the same time fab. I get it that for the last few months you have been time poor and things are not how you would choose.
    I also think that MIL has never approved of you being part of her sons life let alone having children with him. Must be stressful.. I wouldn't waste time & effort trying to appease her you wouldn't be able to. As for solutions I have none that haven't already been said.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Quite!

The OP clearly only wants sympathetic responses. Maybe she fully deserves them? Maybe she doesn't? We will never know!

I used to work with the OP before she had kids (although we are no longer in touch). Her MIL's behaviour is nothing new unfortunately, the shenanigans she pulled over their wedding were a milder version (but still OTT) of this. Things clearly havent improved with time .
    So some of us can and do know !!
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    Options

I was hoping for the garden too , )
    In all honesty I've seen worse and now the kids are both at school you can attack it (not for her but for you)

• duchy
    Options
    eamon wrote: »
    The living room is a dump yet at the same time fab. I get it that for the last few months you have been time poor and things are not how you would choose.
    I also think that MIL has never approved of you being part of her sons life let alone having children with him. Must be stressful.. I wouldn't waste time & effort trying to appease her you wouldn't be able to. As for solutions I have none that haven't already been said.

I've always thought it was a good thing she never had a daughter.....I don't think it would have gone well.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family