Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Mother in law taking photos of inside my house - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Mother in law taking photos of inside my house

111 replies 11.2K views

Replies

• bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of us can know whether OP is normal messy or lives in a pig sty. Whether the children are riotous and undisciplined or just normal lively ones. If MiL has pics of normal messy then showing them to her friends will just make them laugh at her.

I wonder it a bit of team work could work? ‘ hi, MiL, today we are going to clear the ironing pile. You iron, I’ll put it away.’ Make sure it is a really big pile ... Maybe similar with washing up and washing the toys.
  • RebekahRRebekahR Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    None of us can know whether OP is normal messy or lives in a pig sty. Whether the children are riotous and undisciplined or just normal lively ones. If MiL has pics of normal messy then showing them to her friends will just make them laugh at her.

I wonder it a bit of team work could work? ‘ hi, MiL, today we are going to clear the ironing pile. You iron, I’ll put it away.’ Make sure it is a really big pile ... Maybe similar with washing up and washing the toys.

Happy to put the photos up for all to see ...
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    RR, nosy question: is your other half an only child?
  • RebekahRRebekahR Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    RR, nosy question: is your other half an only child?

Yes he is :-) Stands to reason shes his whole life. Especially now dad isn't here. I can understand it to a degree wanting to do everything for him. And not being able to let go. I will find it hard when its my time for sure!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • If she’s constantly criticising and telling off *your* children, she shouldn’t be made welcome. It’s your home and you, and your children, should feel safe there.
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    RebekahR wrote: »
    Yes he is :-) Stands to reason shes his whole life. Especially now dad isn't here. I can understand it to a degree wanting to do everything for him. And not being able to let go. I will find it hard when its my time for sure!

Sort of explains the invasion of privacy and trying to still be the 'primary care giver' and seeking to make you look bad. Doesn't make it right or acceptable, though!
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that usual for you, or did she catch you on a bad day?

It looks like you just have no storage, so everything is "out", is your house a bit small for you?

Do you have a system for dealing with important paperwork, as all that paperwork does seem a bit disorganised?

I can see how if you MiL is a neat-freak, seeing all that "stuff" could set off her OCD tendancies, but that's no excuse for doing what she does.

Its your stuff, your house, your life. If you choose the "organised chaos" look, that's entirely your choice.

Main thing I'd ask is, are YOU happy with your "mess", or do you actually want to get on top of everything? If so, I'm sure you'll get lots of tips here on de-cluttering, if that's what you want.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I don't think we can comment on the state of the OP's house either.
    If she is OK with it and her husband is OK with it, they should present a united front and tell her it's none of her business.
    For the OP's husband not to support his wife is disrespectful.

If one of my friends showed me photos of her son & DIL's home in a nasty way, I'd tell her she was out of order.
    RebekahR wrote: »

Do you mean 'hes her whole life'?
    For a man who's married with children, I'd expect them to be his whole life.