What would you have done.

Options
We booked into a hotel for two nights, arrived checked in and as well as the tea and coffee there were two small bottles of wine and a bag of nibbles. We thought that was a really nice touch.
Because we were going out that night we put the wine and nibbles in our suitcase.
The following morning, housekeeping came in whilst we were at breakfast. When we came back to the room the wine and nibbles had been replenished, much to our surprise. We had a coffee in our room and about an hour later headed out for the day.
Before we left I put the wine and nibbles in my overnight bag, I didn't zip it up but there was also a jumper and a jacket in there. This was on the floor.

When we returned to our room some six hours later the wine and nibbles had gone from the aforementioned bag.
I was taken aback, I was surprised that we had been left them anyway but even more shocked as to how they had been reclaimed.
I was a bit stuck as to what to say or do and my husband was of the opinion I should just leave it. So we did.
It's not even to do with the wine being taken back, more the fact of how it was done, but it's not something I can even prove. I'm sure someone realised that they made a mistake but to go into my bag to remedy it is just not what I would expect.

Rant of the day over!!

Comments

• JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why if you were staying for two nights did you on arrival put the wine and nibbles straight into your bag ?
    To then remove the replenished items and put them into another bag, you must have suspected something wasn't right.
    Did you ask the reception whether they were meant to be removed or intended to be consumed on the premises ?
    Did you are or to find out if they were "free" or part of the min-bar ?

However two wrongs don't make a right - they shouldn't have gone into your bags
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    We booked into a hotel for two nights, arrived checked in and as well as the tea and coffee there were two small bottles of wine and a bag of nibbles. We thought that was a really nice touch.
    Because we were going out that night we put the wine and nibbles in our suitcase.
    The following morning, housekeeping came in whilst we were at breakfast. When we came back to the room the wine and nibbles had been replenished, much to our surprise. We had a coffee in our room and about an hour later headed out for the day.
    Before we left I put the wine and nibbles in my overnight bag, I didn't zip it up but there was also a jumper and a jacket in there. This was on the floor.

When we returned to our room some six hours later the wine and nibbles had gone from the aforementioned bag.
    I was taken aback, I was surprised that we had been left them anyway but even more shocked as to how they had been reclaimed.
    I was a bit stuck as to what to say or do and my husband was of the opinion I should just leave it. So we did.
    It's not even to do with the wine being taken back, more the fact of how it was done, but it's not something I can even prove. I'm sure someone realised that they made a mistake but to go into my bag to remedy it is just not what I would expect.

Rant of the day over!!
    I'd have drunk the wine (1/4 bottle?) either before I went out or when I got back. ;)
    I might find that I'd been charged for them on check-out. :(

But to go into your bag and remove them is totally out of order.

I'd leave a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor and mention that, not make it the main focus of the review (especially if the hotel was good in all other aspects) but if the management monitor TA reviews, the fact that housekeeping are in the habit of going into people's personal baggage might come as a surprise to them too.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I would have made sure the wine was complimentary.

they still shouldnt have gone in your bag though
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'd have drunk the wine (1/4 bottle?) either before I went out or when I got back. ;)
    I might find that I'd been charged for them on check-out. :(

But to go into your bag and remove them is totally out of order.

I'd leave a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor and mention that, not make it the main focus of the review (especially if the hotel was good in all other aspects) but if the management monitor TA reviews, the fact that housekeeping are in the habit of going into people's personal baggage might come as a surprise to them too.

Leaving a review before giving the hotel/restauarant a chance to explain is wrong IMO.

If OP had asked there may have been a logical explanation
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Leaving a review before giving the hotel/restauarant a chance to explain is wrong IMO.

If OP had asked there may have been a logical explanation
    I do hear what you're saying and if I'd been in the same situation, I'd have asked the manager why someone thought it appropriate to go into my bag and remove something that may or may not have been complimentary.

I do TA reviews and always try to be objective and fair, for example not expecting 24 hour room service in basic 2* self-catering accommodation.

However, my view is that by going into my bag to remove something, the hotel has lost the right to offer any sort of explanation - logical or not.
    To do this is simply unacceptable behaviour on the part of the hotel.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can imagine after the first night housekeeping came in and having seen no wine or no empty bottles or glasses thought to themselves 'I'm sure I put the wine and nibbles in this room, but maybe I didn't, my bad, I'll do it now'

They come back the next morning and think 'I know I definitely put the wine and nibbles out yesterday, so where is it? I'm not giving them another bottle as it's now obvious they swiped the first one. Oh look, there it is, in that bag, I'll take it back as it's obvious they've already had their one complimentary bottle and are after getting another one'

Yes, they were wrong, very wrong for taking something out of your bag, it is inexcusable but why did you put the first one in your bag instead of just leaving it on the side?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just as well the hotel did not replace them a third time or the poster would have struggled to carry their suitcase.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can imagine after the first night housekeeping came in and having seen no wine or no empty bottles or glasses thought to themselves 'I'm sure I put the wine and nibbles in this room, but maybe I didn't, my bad, I'll do it now'

They come back the next morning and think 'I know I definitely put the wine and nibbles out yesterday, so where is it? I'm not giving them another bottle as it's now obvious they swiped the first one. Oh look, there it is, in that bag, I'll take it back as it's obvious they've already had their one complimentary bottle and are after getting another one'

Yes, they were wrong, very wrong for taking something out of your bag, it is inexcusable but why did you put the first one in your bag instead of just leaving it on the side?

To drink later I suppose, same as the second ones. I don't take the teabags and coffee sachets but wine and chocolate is a different matter.

I really did not expect the wine to be replenished. But it was. It was most definitely complimentary.

I wasn't happy that it was taken from my bag, however how could I even prove that? It was theirs to begin with. How could I even say it was left in the first place? How could I even go to reception and say it was taken from my bag, I'm sure they would have said either it wasn't there in the first place or that they removed them from the room tray when they realised they had made an error. I am putting it down to an over zealous housekeeper.
    Shame about this one incident as everything else about our stay was first class.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I can see that happening - but if I'd been the staff member I'd have simply swiped the new lot I'd put out .... I'd never go in the bag. Then I'd go down and tell my work colleagues how "cheeky" that guest was and what I'd done :)
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Just as well the hotel did not replace them a third time or the poster would have struggled to carry their suitcase.

So are you saying they did me a favour?

They were small bottles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family