Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Options

Comments

• Zack1uk
    Zack1uk Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi
    I've decided to leave EE. However, my account with them is over £300 in credit and that is based upon a significantly overestimated bill 2 months ago. I would estimate that when my next bill is issued at the start of June I will probably be £450 in credit.

This is partly due to me being rubbish at providing them with actual meter readings (and when I did there system would no accept them as they were too low...unoccupied house), and partly due to them not reducing my Direct Debit (DD) when the house became unoccupied for 12 months (and their CS forced the meter readings manually.

I'm now back in the house but want to switch to another supplier. I'm concerned that if I leave them now, it could take forever for them to issue me with a final bill and the subsequent refund, but if I apply for (and wait) for a refund and / or reduction in DD before leaving, then the refund and reduced DD might not happen, or I could be waiting an age for that, whilst still paying an inflated DD and racking up even more credit.

I did think about cancelling the DD, but then foresee problems with getting a refund in future, as well as the potential issues highlighted elsewhere in this thread with regards to there systems double charging for failed DD's.

Any advice gratefully received.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    UPDATE

Well I contacted the credit reference agency and they in turn contacted EE who have now completely deleted entry from my credit file.
    Farmerbob wrote: »
    Same here got it done this week via the credit agency rather than go though the torture of calling EE
    Mine has gone as well. No "changes" to my report, not appearing in the closed accounts section, just gone altogether. The same as happened to my mis-reported EOn account with Eqifax. So rather than bother to correct and report accurately Experian delete it altogether
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zack1uk wrote: »
    Hi
    I've decided to leave EE. However, my account with them is over £300 in credit and that is based upon a significantly overestimated bill 2 months ago. I would estimate that when my next bill is issued at the start of June I will probably be £450 in credit.

This is partly due to me being rubbish at providing them with actual meter readings (and when I did there system would no accept them as they were too low...unoccupied house), and partly due to them not reducing my Direct Debit (DD) when the house became unoccupied for 12 months (and their CS forced the meter readings manually.

I'm now back in the house but want to switch to another supplier. I'm concerned that if I leave them now, it could take forever for them to issue me with a final bill and the subsequent refund, but if I apply for (and wait) for a refund and / or reduction in DD before leaving, then the refund and reduced DD might not happen, or I could be waiting an age for that, whilst still paying an inflated DD and racking up even more credit.

I did think about cancelling the DD, but then foresee problems with getting a refund in future, as well as the potential issues highlighted elsewhere in this thread with regards to there systems double charging for failed DD's.

Why do you want to leave EE?

Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to stay with them, to me :cool:

Why have you allowed the account to get into so muich credit??? :huh:

Why haven't you provided your supplier with an accurate meter reading if their estimate is so far out??? :huh:

When you leave a supplier, the new supplier passes the agreed start readings to the old supplier to produce a final bill.

The old supplier has 6 weeks from the actual switch date to produce a final bill ... and and refund will usually be paid shortly thereafter (as any amount owing would be expected to be paid shortly thereafter)
  • Zack1uk
    Options
    Cheaper deals elsewhere, and the 150 pages of problems on this thread might be a clue!:cool:

Not sure why you think that but fair enough!

Because I have been living away from the house and haven't really paid it much attention. I gave them a meter reading last year when the credit was far less, told them I was absent, and they said they would adjust the direct debit to reflect the new lower usage. I did get an email saying they were reducing my Direct debit (but not by how much) and didn't think any more than that. Lesson learned!

Why haven't you provided your supplier with an accurate meter reading if their estimate is so far out??? :huh:
    As I said I haven't been living at the property, I have visited it three or four times in the past year. Once I took the meter reading (3 months after moving out), and the other times I either forgot or had to leave in a hurry for an emergency the other side of the country.

When you leave a supplier, the new supplier passes the agreed start readings to the old supplier to produce a final bill.

The old supplier has 6 weeks from the actual switch date to produce a final bill ... and and refund will usually be paid shortly thereafter (as any amount owing would be expected to be paid shortly thereafter)
    Which gets back to my original question (that remains unanswered) as to whether those more knowledgeable (and experienced with EE) than me would just switch and wait for final bill and subsequent refund or get refund now and then switch. I know that is the way it is supposed to work (thanks to this site), but it seems that many many people are waiting many months (and in some cases well over a year) for the final bill, and even longer for the refund.
  • chas1999
    chas1999 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Zack1uk wrote: »
    Hi

Hi Zack, from someone faced with the same dilemma 3 years ago. I decided to leave and eventually got my overpayments back 6 months later after Ombudsman involvement. And BTW that refund was paid directly into my bank account even though I'd cancelled my DD.

As I see it you have 2 choices:

1. Stay with EE and be faced with a lot of hassle and time getting them to accept your meter reading, hoping they will reduce your DD, and asking for some of the overpayments to be refunded.
    or
    2. Leave EE and be faced with a lot of hassle and time getting them to refund your overpayments.

If you opt for 1 you may still be faced with 2 when you do eventually decide to leave.

You will get your money back (unless they go bust) but maybe not this year.

This may be of help though much of it applies just to the Big 6:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/reclaim-energy-bill-refunds

Maybe it's worth going to the Big 6 because with the others it looks like you're on your own when something goes wrong. Having said that I'm with Bulb now and all is very well. CS seems to be great. I made a minor billing request that was actioned very quickly in a friendly manner.

Good luck whatever you decide.
  • Zack1uk
    Options
    chas1999 wrote: »
    Hi Zack, from someone faced with the same dilemma 3 years ago. I decided to leave and eventually got my overpayments back 6 months later after Ombudsman involvement. And BTW that refund was paid directly into my bank account even though I'd cancelled my DD.

As I see it you have 2 choices:

1. Stay with EE and be faced with a lot of hassle and time getting them to accept your meter reading, hoping they will reduce your DD, and asking for some of the overpayments to be refunded.
    or
    2. Leave EE and be faced with a lot of hassle and time getting them to refund your overpayments.

If you opt for 1 you may still be faced with 2 when you do eventually decide to leave.

You will get your money back (unless they go bust) but maybe not this year.

This may be of help though much of it applies just to the Big 6:

Maybe it's worth going to the Big 6 because with the others it looks like you're on your own when something goes wrong. Having said that I'm with Bulb now and all is very well. CS seems to be great. I made a minor billing request that was actioned very quickly in a friendly manner.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks for the helpful response Chas. I too was looking at Bulb. I've asked for a refund, will see what response I get over the next few weeks and take it from there.
  • regis598
    regis598 Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 10:20AM
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »

I switched from EE to my current supplier on 25 August 2015 and received my refund on 4 January 2016. EE do not comply with the rules as many of the posts on this forum will confirm.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    regis598 wrote: »
    I switched from EE to my currect supplier on 25 August 2015 and received my refund on 4 January 2016. EE do not comply with the rules as many of the posts on this forum will confirm.

The Standard Licence Condition (SLC) relating to Final Bills specifies that suppliers are to use their 'reasonable efforts' to issue a Final Bill no later than 6 weeks after a transfer of supply. Lawyers make £Ms a year arguing about what is reasonable and and what is unreasonable. There is no SLC which specifies how quickly a refund has to be made.
  • regis598
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    The Standard Licence Condition (SLC) relating to Final Bills specifies that suppliers are to use their 'reasonable efforts' to issue a Final Bill no later than 6 weeks after a transfer of supply. Lawyers make £Ms a year arguing about what is reasonable and and what is unreasonable. There is no SLC which specifies how quickly a refund has to be made.

My post simply outlines EE's attitude towards their customers, Bear in mind that they wouldn't allow a customer to owe them money for EIGHTEEN WEEKS.
  • regis598
    Options
    regis598 wrote: »
    The complaint was lodged yesterday and today I received a phone call and email from EE explaining that they are new to using credit reference agencies and will get the report corrected as soon as they can. They have also confirmed, in the email, that the account is clear and closed.

Things have certainly speeded up since I last contacted them. Perhaps they are getting there slowly.

The credit reference agency entry has now been removed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure