PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i have used a company to try and recover PPI as i discovered from paperwork i dug out that a failing endownment policy i had was never going to pay off my mortgage borrowing,
    I was staggered that when I looked into the policy a unbelievable amount was paying for payment protection that I had no clue.

Endowment policies cannot have PPI on them.

The only options on an endowment policy was the compulsory life assurance (required to make them an endowment) with optional critical illness cover, terminal illness cover (later ones would have this as non-chargeable but early ones may have charged) and waiver of premium.

None of which are PPI.
    After promisimg feedback from the recovery company, i was told that unfortunately the onsbudsmans department had decided against my case.
    CMCs always want to tell you rubbish to get your business. However, based on the very limited info you have given, its not a surprise it failed if you are mixing up an endowment policy with PPI.
  • isheff2602
    Options
    Good evening, can I ask for some advice - I've been thinking about claiming PPI/money back from Debenhams etc. However the Company I contacted said as I was discharged from Bankruptcy 10 years ago any money I was successful in getting back would need to go back to the Official Receiver AND I would have to pay the Company fees they incurred in getting any money back from me.

Anyone know if this is correct - or is it just scare tactics to put me off from claiming - particularly as the people I would be trying to claim from were not part of my bankruptcy process? The idea of not getting any money back AND having to pay fees - understandably had stopped me from doing anything. Thank you
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's correct if the assets pre-date your bankruptcy.

It's very surprising that a claims company was honest with you, even now they're regulated.

Why do you think they would use scare tactics to prevent you complaining?
  • isheff2602
    Options
    Not sure to be honest - thought it might be too much extra effort if the Official Receiver was involved but as you say the Assets - although none of the items I was thinking of claiming PPI for were part of the bankruptcy process they were pre the bankruptcy process - so it wouldn't be applicable.
  • Sazbee1974
    Options
    I have a question regarding miss sold ppi on a sainsbury loan. I’ve searched on here and can’t see the answer. I’ve visited the Sainsbury’s financial website and can’t see any information on reclaiming miss sold fees like there is on other websites so I’m not sure how to go about this. Is it possible that it was provided by another bank under the name of Sainsbury’s. When I recently made a claim for miss sold ppi with Barclays and it asked me to choose the product on the drop down menu there was a whole list of different company’s on there not just Barclays. Unfortunately due to a mass clear out of paper work a few years back I have no records of anything but I remember ringing them a a couple of years into the loan to cancel the ppi as it had been added without my knowledge and I only realised when the annual statement arrived. Many thanks in advance
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    isheff2602 wrote: »
    although none of the items I was thinking of claiming PPI for were part of the bankruptcy process
    It doesn't matter, any such PPI redress is still a pre-bankruptcy asset which belongs to the Official Receiver for redistribution to your former creditors. A Claim Company would not use "scare tactics" to put you off complaining since they stand to lose their cut of the redress. They are telling you this because they are required to.

Regardless, if you made a complaint and were successful the money would not come to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 20 July 2019 at 6:25PM
    Options
    Sazbee1974 wrote: »
    I have no records of anything
    I doubt you'll be able to advance this without knowing even who your loan was with...
    If you are sure it was Sainsbury's you could send them a Subject Access Request (SAR) to see if they have any record but, since they have four weeks in which to respond, that will be VERY close to the deadline of 29th of August. So make haste...
  • countingthepennies
    Options
    Hi. Just a quick query regarding claiming PPI for a deceased relative. My dad passed away in 2012. I think the only loan he ever had in his life was with Lloyds bank in the 1980's, when he became self employed and needed to buy some expensive equipment. Unfortunately I don't have a bank account number or any of the paperwork. Because it was in the 1980's is that too far back to contemplate looking into?
  • sjp1966
    sjp1966 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive made a claim from my main bank but I am sure that I had other loans through other lenders in the past (this is all way past 6 years ago)

Rather than me write a letter/contact to every lender under the sun, is there a way to simply provide my name, any addresses (would only be 2 or 3 in my case) and then find out what loans I had?

ALSO, I know my Dad had loans in the past for car etc, he sadly passed away but i read that you can still claim, my mum is still around but unable to use a computer or anything, how could she go about checking if my dad had loans with PPI attached?

Thanks

Steve
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sjp1966 wrote: »
    Rather than me write a letter/contact to every lender under the sun, is there a way to simply provide my name, any addresses (would only be 2 or 3 in my case) and then find out what loans I had?
    No, I'm afraid there is no central database of such information. In fact, Banks regularly delete records older than six years on accounts which are closed in any case.
    Your only option is to contact each lender individually and see if there is anything on file.
    sjp1966 wrote: »
    I know my Dad had loans in the past for car etc, he sadly passed away but i read that you can still claim, my mum is still around but unable to use a computer or anything, how could she go about checking if my dad had loans with PPI attached?
    The same way in which you will have to above. She won't have to use a computer, but she'll have to contact each bank individually.

You've left it very late to begin such research, the deadline for PPI complaints is the end of August...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback