PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest recipies.

Options

Comments

• Yoda,I_Am
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Been lurking for a while now - first post, but this one caught my eye!
    My fav is Sausage Noodle Casserole - cook blocks of egg noodles and sausages as per instructions (works well with veggie hotdogs, but can use anything - I just like that the veggie hotdogs are hoof-free lol), then make a roux with flour and butter, then add a tin of tomatoes or two and some mustard powder. Chop up the sausages and mix everything together, can top with some grated cheese if you're feeling flush! The original recipe calls for everything to be casseroled in oven but I find that the noodles dry out and it takes aaaaggggeeesss.

Can't explain how delicious the sauce is - it seems weird to make a tomato sauce this way but you've gotta try it!
  • lovetopaint
    lovetopaint Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    When time is short, I heat up a large tin of Lidl chilli con carne, mixed with a tin of chopped tomatoes, and serve with rice. Plenty to serve 3.
    Healthy eating aim per day: 3 fruits, 3 or more vegetables, 3 low-fat dairy portions, 3 starch portions, 2-3 lean protein portions.
    Weekly aim: to include 2 portions of fish (one oily), some nuts, seeds, beans and pulses.
  • Hootie19
    Hootie19 Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have no idea what this works out per portion, but next time I make it, I will reduce the courgettes, pepper, apples and tomatoes - this made FAR too much for one meal (but it means I've now got the veggie bit in the freezer all ready for next time!).

Oh, and when I got the sausagemeat this week, I noticed the package is now a 375g pack, and not 450g. I'm SURE it used to be 450g - but it was only £1 and still enough for four ample servings. In fact, it was so filling, I'd say it would easily make six servings, and not be stingey!

I bought fresh thyme but didn't use it all, so I've got some of that in the freezer too for future use :)

[FONT=&quot]Savoury Sausage Bake [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons oil [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 large green pepper, chopped [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]450g / 1lb tomatoes, skinned and chopped [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]450g / 1lb courgettes, chopped [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]450g / 1lb cooking apples, peeled and chopped [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Salt and pepper [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]450g / 1lb sausagemeat [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 large onion sliced [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]100g / 4oz Cheddar cheese, grated [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Method [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the green pepper and fry gently for two to three minutes. Add the tomatoes, courgettes, apples, thyme, salt and pepper and stir well. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Meanwhile, press the sausagemeat into a 20cm/8in square baking tin. Scatter the onion rings on top. Pour over the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with the cheese. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bake in a preheated moderately oven (190°C / 375°F / Gas 5) for 45 minutes. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Serve hot with baked potatoes or crusty rolls and a salad. [/FONT]
  • darkblue_2
    darkblue_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    Chilli con Carne - but mince is getting expensive. A friend suggested using turkey mince, as it's cheaper and healthier. I'll give that a go next week.

Tomato pasta with whatever. The kid loves it. I used to just boil up some penne pasta, add some herbs, garlic and whatever meat I had around. Good with sausages and spice it up.

Hotpots. Throw all the veg and some cheap tenderised meat and voila.

Huge yorkshire puddings out of asda (3 for £1 in the freezer dept) filled with mince and onions with mashed potato. Mmmm.
  • fleagle21
    fleagle21 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    More of a snack, but I really like potato waffles, and once they're cooked I put cheese and onion on top and grill for a couple of mins until cheese melted - yummyyyy :)
  • darkblue_2
    Options
    Make it a meal and make a waffle stack.

Waffle
    Chicken burger
    Waffle
    Beans all over
    Grated cheese is optional.

I'm almost certain it's part of a balanced diet... Tipping the scales on the other side perhaps, but part of...
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheese on toast with fried onions under the cheese!
    I like macaroni cheese too, made to my dad's recipe which has some grated onion (has to be grated, chopped just won't be the same) and a good squirt of tomato ketchup in the cheese sauce. Delicious!
    When I was a child we often had what my sister and I called pasta and slops for dinner... pasta with a sauce made of onions, garlic, tinned toms and lots of oregano. If anyone saw my menu plan, I'm sure they'd think I was very strange... pasta and slops and another favourite... monkey poop, which is chick pea curry/stew to anyone other than my mum and me!!
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, and I can't believe no-one's mentioned bubble and squeak yet!
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • darkblue_2
    Options
    AnnieG wrote: »
    Cheese on toast with fried onions under the cheese!
    I like macaroni cheese too, made to my dad's recipe which has some grated onion (has to be grated, chopped just won't be the same) and a good squirt of tomato ketchup in the cheese sauce. Delicious!
    When I was a child we often had what my sister and I called pasta and slops for dinner... pasta with a sauce made of onions, garlic, tinned toms and lots of oregano. If anyone saw my menu plan, I'm sure they'd think I was very strange... pasta and slops and another favourite... monkey poop, which is chick pea curry/stew to anyone other than my mum and me!!

LOL! Fantastic.

You should taste my 'badger droppings' and 'mud pie'.
    Oh, and I can't believe no-one's mentioned bubble and squeak yet!

Bubble & Squeak
  • jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    I apologise for forgetting who posted the sauce recipe here originally, but I now get this requested as staff meal at least twice a week, sweet and sour! It was a recipe someone posted here, I use whatever meat and veg is left over, and rice with this sauce.
    1 cup tomato sauce, to half a cup worcester sauce and half a cup sugar, reduce a little. Add cooked meat and or left over veg. I often add fresh pepper or onion, or both, and leftover sunday roast meat. Its so easy simple and yum!
    Liver and onions pan fried with mash is sooooooo cheap, whoopsie sausages, mash onion gravy with left over yorkies. My situ is different in some ways, but i still need to use stuff up! Fridge pie / fridge pizza also win as cheap - make a pizza base or pastry, stick whatever you have left in the fridge on top or inside, cook and eat :D
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure