PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheapest recipies.

Options

Comments

• cathodetube
    Options
    The reheated rice query again - why do supermarkets sell their own version of pilau/chinese/mexican rice which can then be reheated in the microwave with presumably no ill effects? The sell by dates are usually a good few days in advance. I have reheated rice for years now with no ill effects yet.

Cheap recipes - Chicken soup made with stock/bouillon - I use a kosher one in a large plastic tub because it is tasty - brought to the boil with medium brown noodles (or whichever type liked) added until cooked. Add left over veg like peas, carrots, corn while noodles cooking. Or instead of noodles add left over rice or fresh rice to stock make chicken and rice soup.

Tomatoes on buttered granary toast with Daddies (or similar) sauce spread on toast before toms added.

Brown pita bread(which I keep in freezer) toasted lightly, buttered and stuffed with either cottage cheese or sliced cheddar cheese mixed with favourite chutney/chili sauce.

Beans on toast with Frenchs American mustard on top. Baked potato with baked beans and Frenchs mustard. Or hot dog heated in boiling water or microwave and served with baked beans and Frenchs mustard. I really really like Frenchs mustard.

Canned chili,(I like Staggs) heated hot dog and bun. Put hot dog in bun, put heated chili on top and top with Frenchs mustard and chopped onions if liked.
  • JeffHickman
    Options
    This is genius, was given to me by a bloke cutting my hair one day. Anyhoo...

INSTANT THAI CHICKEN CURRY (serves two)
    Put some basmati rice on to boil
    Shallow fry some chicken goujons, or whatever chopped up chicken is cheapest that day, in a sauce pan (rather than a frying pan)
    Add a carton of Covent Garden Thai Chicken Fusion soup (never found an own brand substitute). Simmer rapidly until it goes thick.
    Plate up the rice and pour over your curry

Enjoy!
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Tin of baked beans, mix in some chilli powder and stir in some cooked pasta. Sprinkle cheese on top. Delish.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is genius, was given to me by a bloke cutting my hair one day. Anyhoo...

INSTANT THAI CHICKEN CURRY (serves two)
    Put some basmati rice on to boil
    Shallow fry some chicken goujons, or whatever chopped up chicken is cheapest that day, in a sauce pan (rather than a frying pan)
    Add a carton of Covent Garden Thai Chicken Fusion soup (never found an own brand substitute). Simmer rapidly until it goes thick.
    Plate up the rice and pour over your curry

Enjoy!

This actually sounds really nice (don't know about MSE but certainly a quick meal!)

I would also recommend Sainsbugs Green Thai Chicken Soup, it's yum
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    O.K here's what we had the other day - it wasn't cheap the way we made it but I'm sure you could adapt it.
    Stuffed Peppers with rice and mashed potato. Cut peppers in half and roasted in oven for 25 mins (ish) - make up pack of dried rice (golden rice) per instructions - fill peppers with cooked rice mix, cover with cheese and grill for 5 mins until cheese melts, oh and we had mash with it as we had some leftover which worked o.k :)
    With peppers being what they are now you would need to have got some cheap somwhere and I'm sure you culd make your own rice mixture with a bit of turmeric and a few other bits chucked in which would be cheaper than a packet.

Our personal favourite is the instant sainsburys chicken noodles (note: sainsburys cheapy instant noodles are vegetarian -lol :rotfl:) with veg. Fry up odd bits of veg lurking in fridge, make up noodles and mix together - perfect.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    Oh and another one...
    Fried veg and quorn with couscous. Pour boiling water over couscous, Fry up odd bits of veg from fridge, mix together and add a bit of cheese.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • LannyLee
    LannyLee Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A nice cheap, filling & tasty last minutes dinner, or to use up left over chicken from your Sunday roast is Jambalaya.

I'm sure it's not even close to being authentic, but it's tasty & there is never any left i our house when it's made, plus it's good for using up any veg you might have languishing in your fridge at the end of the week.

You need:
    1. 1 packet per 2 people of savoury rice, or white rice & add a chicken stock cube to the water
    2. Left over chicken or any meat, but if it's raw will need to be fried off.
    3. Onion
    4. Peppers
    5. Frozen peas
    Soften the onion in a little oil with some garlic & a touch of paprika & cayenne pepper (how much is to your own preference)

If using raw chicken add this & cook it now in chunks - fry until onion is soft & fragrant.

Add all other veg, rice & amount of water as per packet instructions, bring to the boil & then put lid on & simmer until rice is done.

Taste & add anything else you think it needs, Tabasco, more spices etc

Done, only take 20 minutes & it's yummy every time!

If you like you can also add chorizo or anyother spicy sausage when you add the chicken, or even prawns, these should be added just before you're ready to simmer.
  • looktothefuture
    Options
    Super cheap and super tasty! I normally make this when I've got nothing else in the fridge!

Spagetti with bacon and mushrooms

Boil the spagetti until soft
    Fry thinly sliced bacon bits until almost cooked throught, add garlic and mushrooms and add a table spoon of spagetti water until water has evaporated. Mix in with drained spagetti. Finely Grate a 1/2 a matchbook size of cheese. Mix again to coat all the ingredients and serve immediatly.

Gorgeous!
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another endorsement for lambs liver which I did courtesy of Katie Stewart`s recipe and it was really yummy. It also helped that Waitrose reduced the liver twic on two occasions so the toal cost was less than a £ . People often say how expensive Waitrose is but often going in there late evening to pick up the bargains.

Soak the liver in milk for an hour.

Dry off liver and dip both sides in seasoned flour. Melt butter in frying pan, add the liver and brown quickly on both sides( not on TOO high a heat otherwise it`s horrible!)

Lower the heat add sliced mushrooms and chopped parsley and chives. Cover with lid and cook gently for 4-5 mins shaking the pan occasionally.

When ready squeeze over juice of half a lemon and serve.

Yummy with mashed potatoes
  • looktothefuture
    Options
    Another cheap favourite... Nanny's Bacon and Potatoes!

Cut 1 onion into rings.
    Cut potato into roast potato sized cubes
    Boil up potato and onions until soft
    Transfer to roasting dish.

Roast potato and onions in a little oil until brown and fluffy
    Add 3 pieces of bacon per person ontop of the potato and roast until bacon has cooked through.

Serve with steamed veg and gravy!

Ooooohhhh yum!
    (thanks to my late mother in law this is a favourite in our home!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport