PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest recipies.

Options

Comments

• cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tuna bolognese - hangover from my student days - 1 can of tuna feeds 5 of us!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • sams247
    sams247 Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We love what we term Hawaiin Toast

Toast, topped with slice of ham, ring of pineapple then topped with cheese. Grill till cheese bubbles and browns. Like cheap pizza but very yum

Also - tuna mixed with peas, sweetcorn and cooked rice - a nice dish hot or cold (as in the rice hot or cold)

We often have 'Bake', by this we mean anything we have left in the fridge - i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, broad beans, carrots, potato cubes, sweetcorn, anything to hand. Steam the veg and pots. Place in deep dish, cover with HM cheese sauce, grate a little cheese on top, and bake until golden brown. Excellent comfort food, and uses up all the lonely bits of veg.

And personally I love sweet potato baked in the oven topped with philidelphia (or shops own cream cheese)
      To those who are given much, much is expected
    1. LJM
      LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
      Options
      i think ours has to be soup preferably hm with hm crusty bread/rolls my personal favs are butternut squash soup (which i have made for lunch today) and carrot and corriander
      :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
    2. katiegizmo
      katiegizmo Posts: 178 Forumite
      Options
      mashed potato with a little bit of mustard and herbs of choice mashed in, piled in a bowl with beans and grated cheese.... mmmmm proper comforting! sometimes add a couple of cheap basics Yorkshire Puds too

(have cravings now!!!!!!)
      MFW 2015 so far..... £1808.70
      :) 2014 - £1451 2013 - £1600 2012 - £4145 2011 - £5715 2010 - £3258:)
      Big new mortgage from 2017 :shocked:

3. MILLYMOLLY
      MILLYMOLLY Posts: 1,069 Forumite
      edited 29 July 2010 at 4:54PM
      Options

Also his other one is he will fold a peice of bread in half and make a hole in the middle (he takes a bite) then he frys this on one side, when he flips it over, he breaks an egg into the hole.

Used to have this as a kid my dad called it a one eyed sandwich:j
      Starting to save £2 coins again, but it is a struggle:rotfl:Not doing very well keep spending them
    4. meritaten
      meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
      Options
      I may have posted this before but my favourite cheap meal is chicken livers, mash and a green veg with a white wine sauce! expensive? no way! chicken livers cost about 39p a tub in our Tescos (a tub is sufficient for one adult, mash is - well variable cost but if you grow your own spuds its sort of free, green veg same as spuds grow your own and they are free - otherwise see whats cheap or on the reduced shelf! the white wine - if you have any leftover wine otherwise use a chicken stock cube and lots of black pepper!
      dredge the chicken livers in flour and cook gently for a few minutes each side then remove and deglaze the pan with your wine or chicken stock a cupful per person should do it and boil a bit to thicken it - add your mash to the plate with your green veg and the chicken livers and spoon on the sauce. absolutely delish! so much so that its now my OHs favourite meal - before that it was sausage and mash with onion gravy. and I love it too - and i HATE liver!
    5. Bob_the_Saver
      Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
      Options
      BBQ sardines with a nice chilled white wine.
    6. GetRealBabe
      GetRealBabe Posts: 2,258 Forumite
      First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
      Options
      365days wrote: »
      Beans on toast but with marmite on the toast before the beans go on. Yum.

Hi

Never had that before. Gonna try it as it sounds delish.

GRB
      Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

7. sams247
      sams247 Posts: 1,112 Forumite
      First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
      Options
      Have you tried adding marmite underneath peanut butter on toast? Also very good.
        To those who are given much, much is expected
      1. jcr16
        jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
        Options
        bit tricky for me as i love all foods.

but i guess perhaps the cheapest is when i buy a big box of bakers. you get 40 huge potatoes for £11.00. works out about 27p ish each. i am happy just with butter on it. or beans and cheese, home made quiche is very cheap.

Also i love homemade chunky chips with so much salt and vinigar the chips are swiming. ( ok not too good for you, but don't have it often ) with a fried egg and some bread and butter.

or my mum makes the most delishious home made lentil soup.it is the only soup i really eat. and it so thick your spoon can stand up in it,lol. with a nice sprinkling of grated nutmeg on the top. yummy.

another cheap meal in chilli con carne with either rice or jacket spud.
      This discussion has been closed.
      Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
      • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
      • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
      • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
      • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
      • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
      • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
      • 173.5K Life & Family
      • 248.8K Travel & Transport