HSBC Uswitch £175 offer

Options
Hi ,

I’m considering making the switch but have some questions ...

- I’m currently with Barclays . Do you think I should inform them that I am thinking about making the switch because it’s an account with similar benefits and the lure of £175 and see if they offer anything ?

- if I do switch will all my pay etc go into my new account seamlessly ? I’ve read that some direct debits etc get lost ?

- what is the actual process ? I sign up and then immediately all my outgoings and incoming money goes to my new hsbc account ?

- can I keep my existing credit card I have with Barclays or does that need to switch too ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Morning,

Have a look at the Current Account Switching Service website for any questions you might have:

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

You say you bank with Barclays; do you use their Blue Rewards scheme at all?

https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards/

It's relatively simple and straightforward; it's seldom I've seen stories in the media about occasions where it's gone wrong but they appear to be few and far between.

If you decide to switch and meet any qualifying criteria by the seventh day of the 'switch' everything will be taken from your HSBC account but you may need to inform your employer of your new account details.

You'd be able to keep your Barclaycard without a Barclays current account.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Ftba.d
    Ftba.d Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your response /suggestions 20aday .

I currently have blue rewards however I have lost any loyalty I had with Barclays as I feel they unfairly didn’t uphold my missold packaged account complaint I was sold in 2008 when I had just finished Uni. After using them solely over the years and being a loyal customer , they didn’t show any recognition of this in how they handled the complaint so it irks me they benefit from holding all my money / savings ...

I think I may take the plunge and go to HSBC. Like I said , after being a loyal customer for 15 years and using no other bank I’ve never before paid any attention to these switch offers but after my recent experience with Barclays, I think now is the time ...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ftba.d wrote: »
    Hi ,

I’m considering making the switch but have some questions ...

- I’m currently with Barclays . Do you think I should inform them that I am thinking about making the switch because it’s an account with similar benefits and the lure of £175 and see if they offer anything ?

No you don't need to tell them

- if I do switch will all my pay etc go into my new account seamlessly ? I’ve read that some direct debits etc get lost ?

Yes it will all transfer over, however you should give your employer you new account number and sortcode when you get it.
    Direct Debits will just transfer over with no intervention required.

- what is the actual process ? I sign up and then immediately all my outgoings and incoming money goes to my new hsbc account ?

No it will happen over the course of a week or so. When you begin the switching process you will be given dates and a timeline.

- can I keep my existing credit card I have with Barclays or does that need to switch too ?

It depends - is it reliant on having the current account?
    If not then by all means keep it.

Thanks in advance

Answers above.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you think I should inform them that I am thinking about making the switch because it’s an account with similar benefits and the lure of £175 and see if they offer anything ?
    While there are tales of customer retention departments at the likes of Sky who'll often offer incentives to those thinking of leaving, this doesn't translate into the highly-regulated financial services industry, so I don't believe that any bank will make any gestures to discourage you from switching a current account away. It's slightly different for credit cards where there's some leeway with discretionary promo rates and so on, but this doesn't translate into similar opportunities in current accounts.
    After using them solely over the years and being a loyal customer , they didn’t show any recognition of this in how they handled the complaint so it irks me they benefit from holding all my money / savings ...
    Although many customers would expect banks to recognise such loyalty, it really doesn't work like that, so if you're anticipating HSBC (or any other bank) taking such things into account then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed again....
  • Ftba.d
    Options
    Thanks for your help Gary and eskbanker!

I have made the switch , or should I say , started the application process .

I honestly couldn’t stick with Barclays after my recent experience as it would go against every moral fibre of my being...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would also advise against switching - your main account - to HSBC as definitely out of the frying pan and into the fire even with the evil Barclays.

I would suggest you keep your old Barclays account as a spare.

Open another (with Barclays) and switch that if you wish.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Fta.d - is (or rather was) Barclays your only account. ?

The general school of thought is that you should have 2 or 3 current accounts (and credit cards) for when things go wrong - either their IT or they decide they don't want your business any more)
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Ftba.d
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the responses .

I’ve made the switch ... taking your advice on board , I may say to Barclays I want to change my current ‘tech pack ‘ account to a free current account .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you’ve made a switch then your Barclays account will close.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I’ve made the switch ... taking your advice on board , I may say to Barclays I want to change my current ‘tech pack ‘ account to a free current account .
    It is probably too late for that now, unless you can still stop the switching process altogether.

Nothing stops you from applying for another account with Barclays - or with someone else, because remember, you couldn't stick with Barclays ;)
    I honestly couldn’t stick with Barclays after my recent experience as it would go against every moral fibre of my being...

Good luck with your HSBC application.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport