Orchid V4, V4+ Programing Tool Support

Options
KevinLawry
KevinLawry Posts: 99 Forumite
edited 7 October 2010 at 8:31PM in Phones & TV
:j Version Re-Posted 7/10/2010:j
Some of you will have found the Excel spreadsheet that I wrote to re-program the Orchid V4 series boxes now that the suppliers are pulling out of the UK market. This thread is to let me provide support for it.

My support is provided as and when I can and no warranty is implied, the work is just to try & help, if you find that it won't work for you and I can't fix it then there is no redress.

In the mean time, if anyone that I have not yet heard from is having problems, please post them here and include the following information.
  1. What happens
  2. What, if any, errors are displayed
  3. What make and model of modem do you have
  4. Is it internal or external
  5. Is it serial or USB
  6. Can you use it successfully for anything else
Regards

Kevin

Current stable version can be downloaded here
http://208.56.23.24/mse/Auto_Routing_Table_v1_9.zip

Modems Known to work (a list in progress - let me know if you have success with something not here)

USB
Creative DE5773
External Serial
U.S.Robotics 56K Fax Modem
Conexant SmartHSFi V92 56K Speakerphone PCI - works great (user report)
Internal
Agere Systems USB 2.0 Soft Modem - Does not work very great - but does work (user report)
Intel 536EP PCI
Smartlink 56K voice modem (internal laptop modem)
HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP (internal modem on HP laptop)
HP Compaq 8510w Mobile Workstation with Internal Modem

Comments

• wimmerfield
    Options
    My modem is an Intel 536EP and is connected to COM3 as a PCI card. I have specified COM3 (exactly like that) in the configuration box and commands can be heard going to the modem from the programme. Looking at the modem log though the codes being sent are not what is intended. I can't see in the Excel macros where the dial commands are located. Any help here would be much appreciated. The modem is just fine with faxing, dialup (not used much these days) etc. and modem diagnostics are OK.
  • KevinLawry
    Options
    It seems that I slightly misunderstood your PM on this - If you can hear the sounds being generated by the modem then things are probably working - it seems that when we are dealing with an old style serial port, because this program is talking to it directly the data does not always get written to the modem logs.

What other than the content of the log files suggests that the program is not working for you?
    My modem is an Intel 536EP and is connected to COM3 as a PCI card. I have specified COM3 (exactly like that) in the configuration box and commands can be heard going to the modem from the programme. Looking at the modem log though the codes being sent are not what is intended. I can't see in the Excel macros where the dial commands are located. Any help here would be much appreciated. The modem is just fine with faxing, dialup (not used much these days) etc. and modem diagnostics are OK.
  • wimmerfield
    Options
    OK guys,

I tried connecting directly from my PC to the dialer (previously via an extension socket) and all 100% now on the PCI internal modem. Looks like a dodgy extension?

Also working fine on my laptop (Smartlink 56K voice modem on COM9) which is easier to connect up.
    Thanks for an ace piece of software Kevin! :beer:
  • KevinLawry
    Options
    Hi gents,

For those of you who have been having problems where your modem simply does nothing, I hopefully have an answer - I am thinking of the few of you who have external modems on serial ports, COM1 typically.

This version of the spreadsheet is for testing - if it works I will make it all a bit more seamless, but I need your help to test it.

After setting your COM port setting on the config sheet, please press the new red button on the right hand end of the button bar labled 'Reset Modem' this will hopefully set up your modem to work - now try & do something - I usually test by clicking the set time button - if all is well you should hear dialling.

Let me know how you get on please and if we have success I will wrap it in to a release version.

Options
    KevinLawry wrote: »
    Hi gents,

Let me know how you get on please and if we have success I will wrap it in to a release version.

Kevin, it works ! US Robotics External Modem, COM1 on machine running XP Pro. Great Work.

Cheers !!!!
  • KevinLawry
    Options
    Thats great news - I have a few free hours next week, I'll write it in to the main spreadsheet as an option in the configuration and we should be good to go.

I'll post the new version here as soon as it is ready
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have just been sorting out the excel program and setting it up with my modem on my laptop. Tones are being sent and Orchid's led lights up.

How can I check it has worked?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    How can I check it has worked?
    I insert a 'special' rule (I use #99) to bar my own mobile. If that works, I assume the whole table has been successfully sent.

I then overwrite Rule #99 with a duplicate of Rule #02.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • MiserlyMartin
    Options
    Bad news about Orchid withdrawing support. I didn't get any email from Orchid about a Heinz update as I have been out of the loop for a while.

*Routes around for an old modem and hopes it will work*
  • KevinLawry
    Options
    I didn't get an e-mail because I was not on the Heinz program, it was just luck that I was planning to re-build my PC & I was checking I had all my software to hand that made me check the forum for updates.

Old modems are cheap enough - i've just watched one go on e-bay for 99p, and new ones for £15.00 delivered - pretty much anything will do because we only need the dialling capability (obviously not ADSL modems)

from the (admittedly limited) experience so far, it seems that USB modems seem to work a little more seamlessly than serial port connections.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure