PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2018 at 4:18PM
    Options
    I'm more inclined to think that IF there were rationing, then it would be "rationing by price" and not "rationing rationing" iyswim.

There might be problems with dairy products temporarily - whilst our own farmers swung back into production - but they'll certainly still be available (albeit possibly at a price) imo.

The mindset of people is very different to what it was in the 1940s and I honestly don't think "rationing rationing" would have a hope of working - as many people would just turn round and subvert it in every way possible imo.

The one big plus point - whatever happens - is that many of us are used to MUCH more variety in our diets than our 1940s predecessors were. So some will be insistent on "business as normal" (ie same diet as they are used to). Many of us would just think "Well if I can't have A, then I'll have B instead. If they tell me even B is a problem to get - then I'll have a totally different type of food temporarily until I can get back to having A again". Sorta "If we cant get potatoes, we'll have rice" sorta way of thinking.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure how realistic it is to assume we would be completely cut off and lose the full 41% in perpetuity even if there is disruption. After all we aren't going to war are we? Are we?:D

I started stocking up a bit today. I always used to keep a good level of stores in but ran them down when we had major building work done and had to shift everything around. and never really built them back up again. I couldn't believe it when I found the other day that I had run out of tomato puree:eek: This has never happened

Needless to say that was on the list. I found a few good deals on some of my basics and I had a £4.50 off a £30 spend voucher for Sainsbury's. Managed to get some useful bits and pieces without going too far over the £30 so that's a much better return than I'm getting on my savings
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone on this thread volunteer for foodbanks?

Just wondering what help will be available to people who are unable to stock up ie those who are using foodbanks already and how foodbanks will cope with their usual demand plus extra with likely far fewer donations?

Do foodbanks have a plan?

What can we do to help?
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone on this thread volunteer for foodbanks?

Just wondering what help will be available to people who are unable to stock up ie those who are using foodbanks already and how foodbanks will cope with their usual demand plus extra with likely far fewer donations?

Do foodbanks have a plan?

What can we do to help?
    n

That is a very good point, thank you for raising it.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm more inclined to think that IF there were rationing, then it would be "rationing by price" and not "rationing rationing" iyswim.

There might be problems with dairy products temporarily - whilst our own farmers swung back into production - but they'll certainly still be available (albeit possibly at a price) imo.

The mindset of people is very different to what it was in the 1940s and I honestly don't think "rationing rationing" would have a hope of working - as many people would just turn round and subvert it in every way possible imo.

The one big plus point - whatever happens - is that many of us are used to MUCH more variety in our diets than our 1940s predecessors were. So some will be insistent on "business as normal" (ie same diet as they are used to). Many of us would just think "Well if I can't have A, then I'll have B instead. If they tell me even B is a problem to get - then I'll have a totally different type of food temporarily until I can get back to having A again". Sorta "If we cant get potatoes, we'll have rice" sorta way of thinking.

Re your comment about dairy still being available - not necessarily, a rather large percentage of milk used by the British dairy industry is imported. Not everyone is lucky enough to live in an area where dairy produce is properly local like some parts of Wales for example, where there is fresh fish, local veg & fruit, excellent meat...

Also, are there paddy fields in the UK? Coz if not we will have to import rice as we will pasta / quinoa/ couscous / bulgar wheat / lentils / most beans...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We have recently signed up for doorstep milk deliveries. The milk is obviously more expensive than that in the supermarkets but we are happy to pay the difference (£1.69 for 2 litres as opposed to about £1.10 in supermarkets) because it is locally produced from local cows (got a vision of cows mooing in a Durham/Geordie accent there). The milkman also does pint bottles of orange juice and eggs from a local egg producer. We got the first lot of eggs today and, I'm not saying they're big but I bet those chickens' eyes didn't half water!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Nargle moohowaayoo... :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Rationing by price has already been tried MITSM. In WW1. What happened is that people died of starvation. Actually died - google it. When the army had to turn away over 70% of recruits in 1917 because they were undernourished and of poor physique then they decided to do something about it and bring in fair rationing. But not until then :mad:
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Oi ears burning 'ere. What do you mean "speak fuddle so we know what a Northern cow sounds like' bliddy cheek ;)
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Floss wrote: »

Also, are there paddy fields in the UK? Coz if not we will have to import rice as we will pasta / quinoa/ couscous / bulgar wheat / lentils / most beans...

There is always alternatives amaranth and quinoa can easily be grown in the UK as are a host of beans they grow lentils in hertfordshire.
    we will see a shift in food more so because of the weather then the politics, and from an environmental impact the less food miles always the better.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback