PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tentickles666
    Options
    This is my first time attempting this challenge!In my household there is me and my two kids under 10 and quite often but not always my boyfriend (we don't live together)
    I've just done meal planners for the kids lunch boxes, I'm attempting to get healthier and spend less at the same time. I may be insane this is yet to be confirmed.

Budget £200 for the month
  • Mortgage_Reduction_Novice
    Options
    I spent £11.75 on fruit, veg and eggs at the market today. I bought a bit more veg than usual because I'm making a huge stew tomorrow to batch freeze.

I noticed the eggs have gone up by 25p so I'll be comparing the price again next time I'm in the supermarket.
    MFW: Nov 2008 £156k, Jun 2015 £129k, Jun 2017 £114k.
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    sjprmc01

Helen Jelly - re stocking/stuff going up, i think the food crisis will probably affect meat prices as loads of livestock are fed wheat, etc.

Okay, so I notice that prices do seem to fluctuate a lot lately but have been blaming that mainly on petrol costs and subsequently transport of goods to SM etc, and also on SM's taking every advantage to make more money and blame it on the costs rising etc.

However, what is this annual price rise that you all speak off? And what should I be doing about it?

In other news I have been a very good girl, did some batch cooking today which resulted in two lots of chilli, two lots of bolognaise and two lots of beef casserole to be frozen although freezer is actually rammed. :o That's most things that can be pre made done for the next couple of weeks which should help ease me back in to work!

Went to Lidl today to pick up some mince which I have used for bolognaise, going to try it first before I buy anymore. So that's £2.69 spent today. I now have enough cash left to pick up some turkey tomorrow and then fingers crossed that's all my shopping until the end of next week at the earliest!

I am excited about keeping to my budget this month. :j I have decided that if I do I'm going to change my normal £200 budget to £175 and save the other £25 a month. I want to buy DH a Tag Heur watch for our 25 wedding anniversary. :smileyhea

He has always wanted one and I have always said to him that one day I will buy him one outright. We have been married for just over 14 years and I had worked out that if I save £25 a month I will be able to save enough. Using this money will be easier than trying to find it from somewhere else in the budget as things are normally tight! A great incentive to keep to my budget!! :D
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi All

I'm going away for 5 days in September so I'm going to set my budget slightly lower at £105 .

Good luck everyone! :j
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    Just took delivery of 2 x 25k sacks of flour and a box of yeast sachets that will last all winter. Bought the beautiful organic Bacheldre Watermill flour - wholemeal and strong white. Just have nowhere to store them. DH already spotted them and asked if the siege was imminent...

Take care
    SL

i can ask about your flour do you think it good value for the amount of baking you do?? and who do you get if from please
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • pixiedust09
    Options
    I will be starting my September shop on Sunday. Thought I'd try the big fruit and veg place nearby for my, you guessed it ''fruit and veg'' :rotfl:. Don't know yet if it will work out cheaper, but the last lot of value carrots I got from Mr T were Carp. Also had a load of £6 off a £30 shop sainsbugs vouchers in the post today, that are use instore only, so may get my other groceries from there this week instead of Mr T. Will just have to keep an eye on the prices though.
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mossy - with regards to some people stocking up, here is a link that explains it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2194436/Family-food-bills-soar-British-shoppers-face-paying-bread-pasta-meat-devastating-drought-ravages-crops-U-S.html#ixzz24owtJLZW
    Also wanted to say, good luck with the watch, sounds a lovely idea
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    Hello peeps, everyone else's month seems to start before mine, I will try and backtrack 17 pages, but forgive me if I skim read.

Anyway I came in at £150.96/£200 for August which I'm pretty chuffed about, however I'm not sure how I did it. (Previous month I was about a tenner over). I'm going to pitch my budget at £200 again.

What I really need to do this month is soak up all the good ideas here (you all seem to eat such lovely meals on your budgets) so that I can start reducing my spends without it feeling like its really hitting us. So note to self to log on more.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • lizzie_b
    lizzie_b Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Picked up a few more bits & bobs today, went to the dreaded Mr T's with my sister when she did her weekly shop, I was amazed when her total came to over £40 for half a little trolley full, a weeks food for 1 tiny person (she is 5ft and about 7st)
    I spent 90p in Mr T's on a bag of soda crystals because I couldnt be bothered to walk accross town to W*lko to get them.
    Then I came home and went to Ald* for the stuff I needed instead.
    Hope we are all doing well, ready for a new calendar month tomorrow.
    xxxx
    Little Monkey Born 26.08.14
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all well I did my first monthly shop today so I should have all the meat, tins, toilet roll and cleaning stuff we will need so will just have to get fresh milk and fruit and veggie stuff. This is the first time I have done this tho so im hoping my calculations are ok and I did find it cheaper than I thought I would so will just have to see.
    Butchers £7.50
    MrT £97.87
    farm shop £8.30
    total £113.67 + £24.61 Lidl yesterday =£138.28

Mossy I have tried Lidls mince before and it was lovely but this one is in different packaging, the only difference i think there is is this cheaper one has a higher fat % than the other one I have tried. I am going to give it a try next week and just drain off the fat, which I usually do anyway, and if its yuck I will hide it under lovely sauces!
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family