PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to say Lidl are doing 1.2kg gammon joints for £3.99, just incase anyone likes them. Got one of those too so it will hopefully do 3 meals a roast, ham broth and risotto yum
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • belselmo
    belselmo Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Now then, I wish I could see a way out of this... when I mention dying my hair at home (like I used to) my hairdresser puts the fear of god into me implying that it might a). drop out or b). go green. So I obediently go trotting back for a permanent colour every 6 weeks or so... what does everyone else think? I used to colour it myself before I went on to permanent colour. £40 every 6 weeks is an expense I could do without.

What say you, frugal friends?

I am having the exact same quandary. I stocked up on a small number of cheap sale hair dyes in a multitude of similar shades with the plan of going it alone but as of yet I haven't brought myself to do it. I used to do my own all the time between the ages of 14 and 26 and have been every colour under the sun so why am I finding it so difficult to break out the gloves? Is it because I'm growing up?!?

Let me know how it turns out if you go for it :)
    GC Challenge Newbie!
    September £79.39/£180
  • jennypennysaver
    Options
    I've started a price book so I can cost each of my meals - so I can hopefully make them cheaper. :)

Wow, what a good idea, might have to copy that one :T

jumblejack, Mortgage Reduction Novice, Save Dosh and She who can not cook - thanks for your comments (& support) with my hair dying dilemma, I'll keep you posted!!

Called at w@itrose for cat food (I've moved my 3-legged tail-less moggy onto purina instead of l!dl cat foot, I think she needs a bit better quality food these days for what's left of her poor little body). Whilst I was there I checked the bent bargains and got £23 worth of chicken for £6.53, some of it was organic too. Also reduced price rolls etc. Wow just looking at the receipt and they've still knocked £2 off as some of the chicken was originally 3 for £10 so that means it only cost £4.53. Jeepers. Treated myself to my fave mag, yikes, but have included it in my spending record. I'll update my sig then have a nice hot bath with my mag. Bliss * sigh * ;)
    June 2015 Grocery Challenge [/B]£126.38/£360 :eek:
    "Sealed Pot Challenge" ~ 8 (2015) - No 480 £12.60 :A
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I have a rule, I will dye darker at home but never lighter.
    It is far to risky.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • jennypennysaver
    Options
    belselmo wrote: »
    I am having the exact same quandary. I stocked up on a small number of cheap sale hair dyes in a multitude of similar shades with the plan of going it alone but as of yet I haven't brought myself to do it. I used to do my own all the time between the ages of 14 and 26 and have been every colour under the sun so why am I finding it so difficult to break out the gloves? Is it because I'm growing up?!?

Let me know how it turns out if you go for it :)

Belselmo, just seen your post. I know, it's scary isn't it?!?! I don't know why I am dithering, I used to dye my own hair every colour under the sun without a care in the world :pWhat's happened to me?! :shocked:
    June 2015 Grocery Challenge [/B]£126.38/£360 :eek:
    "Sealed Pot Challenge" ~ 8 (2015) - No 480 £12.60 :A
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Having to bow out of the sept challenge as I've lost track!

Good luck everyone and I'll 'see' you all in Oct x
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • budget_babe
    budget_babe Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2012 at 9:41PM
    Options
    sjprmc01 wrote: »
    Having to bow out of the sept challenge as I've lost track!

Good luck everyone and I'll 'see' you all in Oct x

Sorry to hear that, I had the same issues in August. See you in October.

Take Care
    Budgie x
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home :)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson :A
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    See you soon, sjprmc01! Hope all is well.

I'm enjoying my price book experiment and have made substitutions that will save me £0.67 on one meal. Not sure if that'll be a huge saving but over the course of a month if I can make that kind of saving it'll add up. I can save another £0.60 if I make the wraps on my enchiladas from scratch, but I'd lose the convenience and incur some costs from cooking them. It's going to be an interesting experiment. :)

Tomorrow night is a sausage, bacon and tomato risotto. Using Value rice, naturally ;)

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • rupe34
    rupe34 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Options
    Hello - slightly nervous first go at the Grocery Challenge - but need to do it. OK currently we spend about £400 for 5 of us, so I will try £325 for September and see how we get on.
    Onward and upward - with the odd step to the side

November GC £255/£300
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lollyfin wrote: »
    OH dragged me into Lidl today and i got their mince is about half the price of MrT so I got all my mince as well.

Have you tried their mince before? What is it like? I saw it today and it was a good price and looked good but mince is one thing I tend to be fussy about. If it's gristly it puts DD off anything with mince in it for weeks! :)
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure