We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2015 at 1:02AM
    Options
    Well, I kinda make a fuss of him when he brings in his little pressies distract him with Dreamies ( crack cocaine for cats ) I then usually have caught the mouse by throwing a towel over it, or picked it up by the tail if already dispatched. I then throw it down the burn.

Rummer - I feel that we've been cheated out of a Summer. I hear that we've had only 12 days of sunshine this whole year! I must take some Vitamin D as I need it I think as I aint gettin it outoors from the sun. When it's bright.... occasionally - I squint. Screw my eyes up as it hurts. Like bleedin vampires we are gettin......
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all...
    went browsing yesterday for pricing of mower, hedge cutter etc... baffled me as the "bargains" where obviously cheaperly made :cool: and for the sake of a few quid more for a known make ...
    went to look at carboot sale this morning...I need to be on a leash ! no way do I need more cushions but....:o
    got some nice original oil paintings [flowers] not old old but vintage.
    got some lovely vintage flags [the sort on a string] which I will hang inside my re vamped summer house.. ive ordered some wood paint to give it a glamp.. an old green outer and old cream inside. they mix it to the shade you want and ive treated myself @ £20 a 5ltr pot. but I think that's very reasonable... [brewers]
    also bought a big lump of driftwood , im guessing it was a post used to tie up a boat? aprox 4ft x 4"x4" . really weathered. im going to fit some of my old piano candle holders to it and put on wall on brackets. [seller said his wife ridiculed him for taking it to BS saying hed never sell it..he did look smug :D ]

im now going to mow my likkle lawn and then im going for a river side walk with stormy [white cob] .

hope your all having a good day :)
  • choille
    Options
    Hi Alfie - we were/are pleased with mower from Screw Fix It was cheap & really does the job over rough terrain.

I'm swilling out the caravan as BIL is coming so we can get away for a break. Funny how you see things when someone else will be here - suddenly I can't believe how I've lived these past years.

Alfie I know where there is fab driftwood also roots - massive old weathered roots.

Your plans sound marvellous for the Summer House. I like the sound of the colours - the shabby chic theme.

A skien of honking geese went over earlier - now that is far too early for them.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2015 at 5:33PM
    Options
    I hear that we've had only 12 days of sunshine this whole year!

Seems even less with me! :(

Anyhow, been pottering today. I bought a trellis for the clematis but it was pre-stained orange/brown so have tried the trick of soaking steel-wool in vinegar then painting that on the wood. Hopefully that'll accelate toning down colour.

Fish got some new plants, tape grass, plus I added two more danios as the new filter seems to be coping with the bio-load of fish pooping.

Shook out a terracotta pan I've had for years and years with the unlikely combination of a small-leaved hosta and hardy nerines. Anyhow, I was surprised to see how many bulbs there were, multiplying over the years!

Hosta was divided and replanted in the shade border and I'll put the nerines into a proper pot and put them under the rain canopy which has done a valuable and necessary job in protecting the succulents.

Hardly grew anything from seed this year, a pot of mixed 'bee friendly' annuals is about it. This pot gets the bucket from the aquarium water changes sloshed over it.

e143135c-0964-41b0-b025-d74405f4a994_zpse6mt9tke.jpg
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Soaking in a nice hot bath now, after having a great time at the bulldog bash...
    Just mainly chilled with our HA friends ...this must have been one of the chilled out bulldogs, didn't get drunk etc...even though we had our usual guest tickets, I was in 2 minds to go, but so glad we did, my phone went dead so didn't bother to charge it, so a few days away from the outside world..... Bliss..

Weather was great all weekend..now its raining lol
    Work to live= not live to work
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Soaking in a nice hot bath now, after having a great time at the bulldog bash...
    Just mainly chilled with our HA friends ...this must have been one of the chilled out bulldogs, didn't get drunk etc...even though we had our usual guest tickets, I was in 2 minds to go, but so glad we did, my phone went dead so didn't bother to charge it, so a few days away from the outside world..... Bliss..

Weather was great all weekend..now its raining lol

pleased you've had a good break :T
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    pleased you've had a good break :T
    I'll second that! :beer:

Just wish all those who've had a poo summer so far could get some relief....:o

We've been away too...:D

Well, from last Tuesday, DW was already 'away' on the Mendips, helping to prepare for her brother's wedding on Saturday, and I went up to join her on Friday, via Bristol, where DD2 and her young man were flat/house hunting (they don't have a car.)

We did much driving around Bristol, but none of the properties we saw impressed, and one was let almost immediately after we viewed. It's a case of grab anything for 6 months, I think. Get established and work from there...:(

Anyway, we all arrived, ready for the wedding and the 'do' which followed. _party_That centred on food & drink much more than muzak and games. The weather was super, so the 30+ guests were able to spill into the garden, so not too crowded, and it was a great way for the families to really get to know each other better.

All in all a success, but lots of hard work, especially as the hosts are both now in their 80s.

Dropped DD2 and partner off at 'your' station lir, and headed west.....Just about managed to decorate the caravan by the time the two newly-weds reached here :love:, but it wasa close run thing!:rotfl:
  • choille
    Options
    Great you had a break away CTC - nice that it stayed fair for it too.

Just starting to drizzle slightly here - off up the road to check a sheep that had a bit of a choking do when I fed them earlier - don't feed them often at this time of year - but handy to have a check of them by rattling the bucket! She scoffed & seemed to get some pellets wedged - she's done it before, but I'll feel easier when I check her.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like you had a great time Dave and CTC glad to hear you had time to relax away from it all. Choille it is good to hear you are getting away too.

We had a lovely week away in Northumberland and the weather there was great but it seems a long time ago now. The area was stunning and I loved the countryside and the beaches. Yet another place I would like to relocate to :D

Dry if dull today so we at least got out and about.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I see we have a yellow warning for heavy, thundery rain from 04:00. :(

Not the best start to a honeymoon in a caravan, but the happy couple have stayed there before in February, when conditions have been pretty spartan. ;)

The rain began as we arrived here this evening. Still needed, though with the M5 gridlocked going north above Taunton, there will be many who'd disagree with that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback