LED sidelights

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Given that you shouldn't be driving around using your sidelights, is it even remotely relevant?

If you need lighting to be seen, turn your flippin' headlights on.

Yes you can on a well lit 30mph road.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If sidelights are appropriate, because the road is so well lit, why do they need to be brighter? Why aren't the standard ones perfectly adequate? If you need more lighting than they provide, why not just turn that light switch one more notch...? It's not like it's still the 50s, with dynamos that barely provide sufficient charge...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Because there are still plenty of blind idiots about.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for giving another reason why using the much larger and more highly visible dip beam is the sensible option.

Just because you are legally allowed to use sidelights on some urban roads does not mean you have to.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If it's just a gloomy day then sidelights are enough.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    Options
    If it's just a gloomy day then sidelights are enough.

People use headlights, are lights required on a dull or gloomy day?

They may be advisable for cyclist and bikers, but if all the car drivers use headlights, the cyclists and bikers are no longer the brightest and fade into the glow of lights.

I put LEDs into my car, because the sidelights were poor. Newer cars tend to have really bright rear lights, too bright.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Because there are still plenty of blind idiots about.
    ...and why are there blind idiots about? Because of being dazzled by stupid halogen headlights and LED numberplate bulbs!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    Options
    ...and why are there blind idiots about? Because of being dazzled by stupid halogen headlights and LED numberplate bulbs!

I do sometimes see unreadable number plates, because the light is too bright.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Oddly they are blind because they are listening....

...on their mobile!
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Rather than whinging about should we have sidelights or dipped beam on when the lighting is still fairly decent

I think a bigger problem is them stupid modern cars with those daytime lights which don't turn the rear lights on, but the dash lights up anyway. I've seen a number of cars around here lately driving around in the dark with no tail lights on but they have those daytime lights on and i guess their dash lights up.

Would be much safer if your dash only lit up if your lights were turned on, that way dozy drivers would think hang on a second i can't see what speed i'm doing so that must mean i need to turn my lights on which i'd forgotten about. Add to that that if your daytime lights are on up front then they should really have your rear lights on at the back since it's not only oncoming traffic that needs to see you. Since we're going all out on safety then why NOT have the rears on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure