Skincare & make up for Rosacea ??

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    OK so my stuff has arrived - yay!

But I just realised Ger you say you use this to cleanse your face. Normally I take off all the slap when I get in from work :) do you keep your makeup on till you're in the dark or do you cleanse twice (I think that might be a bit much for my skin :)). And how do you moisturise? Or do you?

I also just realised that all of my makeup etc is presumably infected?? Did you get rid of this stuff?

I will also make some efforts with swapping pillowcases - and will start using facecloths to dry my face since I'm not getting into new towels every day :)

Anything else I should think of?

Sorry I just got into implementation mode! Any advice would be very gratefully accepted.

Edited to say that I did buy tea tree shampoo - DH has fallen in love with it *rolleyes* apparently he is very fond of the smell of tea tree oil, which is a good job considering he's going to be sleeping with it!

Ooh... lots of questions!

I no longer cleanse my face with the oil as it didn't really do the job properly, so now I wash my face with the Tisserand stuff and then apply the oils in bed as both the regime and as a moisturiser. For me, doing the oils once in bed works, however it may not for you so it's not essential!

I use almond oil as a moisturiser in the morning and my skin has never been so soft. There are plenty of threads about the use of oil with hot flannels rather than commercial products. I did try it and for a short time it was lovely but my rosacea kicked in big style. Now I find that my nose gets all spotty if I use oil on a lot so I tend to skip that area. Since not using any form of moisturiser on my nose it's stopped being greasy and all the little tiny blocked pores have cleared up completely,

As for makeup, not sure I can offer any meaningful advice. I only use mascara and face 'powder'. Mascara I do change regularly as the eyelashes are the most common place for the mites to live :eek:. On my face I use either Lilylolo mineral powder and so wash the brush regularly and buy a new one every so often, or I use a Virgin Vie pressed powder and so wash the sponge thing regularly and buy a new one when needed.

Hope all this helps - good luck with it. I'll be very interested to hear how it pans out for you.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February 2013 at 5:10PM
    Options
    Anyone considering OCM there are adjustments for sensitive skin types or those with inflammatory conditions. Firstly use a cotton muslin cloth instead of microfibre or terry cloth flannel, MUCH gentler - you can get unbleached ones in bulk for cheap on eBay so you can always have a clean cloth. Secondly add an emulsifier to your oil blend so it washes clean with tepid water. Thirdly research your oils carefully, some fatty acids can be pro inflammatory where the skin barrier is damaged or in susceptible individuals. Other fatty acids are comedogenic (pore blocking).

It's quite possible it also depends on the fatty acid balance in your skin barrier itself which in turn depends on a combination of your diet and genetics. If you don't give your body the fatty acids it needs internally it will bodge cells together using what is available, so the tissues may not function optimally. You can work to repair your skin barrier (stratus corneum) function with a combination of nutrition and targeted topicals.

Can get emulsifiers here, the owner of the store OCMs herself, has had severe acne and is a research scientist by trade. She links to published studies backing many of her ingredients on the store site
    http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/StoreFront.bok
    She also has come up with research-based recipes that people on skin forums rave about for acne and rosacea, include the KinNiaNag serum
    http://skinessentialactives.blogspot.co.uk/
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Gers
    Options
    My experience of OCM is rather negative which is why I stopped doing it.

The thing we are discussing here is using a mixture of macadamia nut oil and tea tree oil to help control the problems of acne rosacea. The mixture is applied to the face without the use of steam or heat or flannels.

For my face the use of oil has produced a better skin than the usual everyday moisturisers.
  • Keeping_Motivated
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »

It's quite possible it also depends on the fatty acid balance in your skin barrier itself which in turn depends on a combination of your diet and genetics. If you don't give your body the fatty acids it needs internally it will bodge cells together using what is available, so the tissues may not function optimally. You can work to repair your skin barrier (stratus corneum) function with a combination of nutrition and targeted topicals.

[/url]

Do you have any information on the nutrition side please?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have any information on the nutrition side please?

Particularly look at how much omega-3 (more especially EPA and DHA) and omega-6 (less of most except GLA) is in your diet, the vast majority of westerners have totally the wrong balance in their diet. Not only can these be incorporated into cell membranes and so affect the skin's barrier function, they also affect inflammation. Omega-3s are anti and most omega-6s being pro inflammatory: GLA in borage oil is the exception it is an omega-6 with anti inflammatory properties.

Oily fish are the best source of long chain omega-3s (DHA and EPA) also supplying vitamin D which many of us are low on in winter (normally made with sunlight exposure). Bioavailable vitamin D is important in skin health, infective conditions and possibly in rosacea. Secondary sources of long chain omega-3s are omega-enriched eggs, fish oils or marine algae extracts as a supplement but you may miss out on vitamin D with these. Omega-6s that you want to limit or balance are in certain nuts and seeds, many vegetable oils used in home or commercial cooking/ food products, wholegrains. So omega-6s are in far more everyday foods than long chain omega-3s. :(

Also plenty of women just don't eat enough healthy whole fats (avocado, olives, nuts, seeds, cocoa, block creamed coconut) full stop, or not a consistent intake of protein, aim for both little and often through the day starting at breakfast. These are the building blocks of cells and of hormones and cells of the immune system that play a role in skin health and inflammation.

Numerous vitamins and minerals are involved in healthy skin cell production and immune function, so look at your intake of low sugar fruits, non starchy vegetables (AT LEAST five a day in the full rainbow of colours) and mineral rich foods (beans, lentils, cocoa powder, nuts, seeds). Possible benefits from foods rich in certain antioxidant phytonutrients, particularly the polyphenols. Some find probiotics beneficial some have a negative response, although a lot of these seem to be mega dosing which is not the best idea unless you are medically supervised.

Last thing is to avoid or limit foods known or believed to encourage inflammation: omega-6s as before, sugar, higher glycaemic index carbs (wheat/ rice/ corn/ white potatoes), alcohol, caffeine, larger servings of meat, excess saturated fats, rosacea trigger foods generally (see charity sites). Official guidelines are for no more than 10% of daily calories as sugary/ fatty/ junk anyway.

Really much is the same balanced diet as for health of any tissue and for preventing other health complaints. It might seem like I have contradicted myself a little on the nuts and seeds :o it's about finding balance and picking the right nuts and seeds for your needs not eating omega-6 rich sunflower seeds regularly unless you do eat a lot of oily fish.

If you think you do have food triggers it's worth keeping a food diary because everyone is different. For example although I have mentioned cocoa it may be a problem for some - difficult to say as many will be eating it in the form of chocolate which is high in sugar and added fats. Ditto some fruit and veggies.

If you choose to take any supplements please run them past your doctor or dietician first.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • vanilla8
    vanilla8 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So in the last couple of months i seem to have developed rosacea, i went to the dr last month who prescribed Rosex gel.
    I have found it has made my redness worse, and although it does help remove some of the papules they only return in other places!

I am back to the Dr tomorrow and will see about going on the antibiotics.
    Has anyone seen a dermatologist regarding their rosacea?
  • Gers
    Options
    OK so my stuff has arrived - yay!

But I just realised Ger you say you use this to cleanse your face. Normally I take off all the slap when I get in from work :) do you keep your makeup on till you're in the dark or do you cleanse twice (I think that might be a bit much for my skin :)). And how do you moisturise? Or do you?

I also just realised that all of my makeup etc is presumably infected?? Did you get rid of this stuff?

I will also make some efforts with swapping pillowcases - and will start using facecloths to dry my face since I'm not getting into new towels every day :)

Anything else I should think of?

Sorry I just got into implementation mode! Any advice would be very gratefully accepted.

Edited to say that I did buy tea tree shampoo - DH has fallen in love with it *rolleyes* apparently he is very fond of the smell of tea tree oil, which is a good job considering he's going to be sleeping with it!

Any update from this Belfastgirl?

My skin is still responding well and would be interested to hear your experience (hope it was good???).
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 June 2013 at 12:25PM
    Options
    Em oops guilty me I have to say my enthusiasm wore off when I realised I couldn't manage the whole process, being fundamentally comatose at night! BUT I did put some drops of tea tree oil into another facial oil I was using as a night time moisturiser and I do think my skin is in good shape at the minute, though the summertime is definitely better for me. Glad to hear its working out for you though! I might be re enthused with this message though :) and I will go back to the macadamia oil, I just had the other one open already and it seemed a shame to waste it.

Edited to say though that I do think the bumps on my face are mostly gone, just realised this!
  • Gers
    Options
    Em oops guilty me I have to say my enthusiasm wore off when I realised I couldn't manage the whole process, being fundamentally comatose at night! BUT I did put some drops of tea tree oil into another facial oil I was using as a night time moisturiser and I do think my skin is in good shape at the minute, though the summertime is definitely better for me. Glad to hear its working out for you though! I might be re enthused with this message though :) and I will go back to the macadamia oil, I just had the other one open already and it seemed a shame to waste it.

Edited to say though that I do think the bumps on my face are mostly gone, just realised this!

:T Thanks for the news - it can be a total faff to do and I sometimes forget or can't be bothered though I think your solution is great. The oil is just to stop the tea tree oil from burning your skin. Think my skin condition goes through cycles of being really great all the way to being really sore again - all dependent on how rigorous I am with the regime.

Anyway, it's good to hear you're skin is doing good. Thanks.
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Abner8800 wrote: »
    I am totally agree with you and would like to say thanks to you that you share this post here with us. I hope that you will continue to post here with us. May God bless you always.

Another potential website spammer looking to build up his/her post count, perchance?
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport