BEVs deals and information

Options

Comments

• 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you agree that vehicle emissions have fallen over time, how can you not argue that a newer fleet isn't better for the environment & therefore 'green & ethical'?
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    If you agree that vehicle emissions have fallen over time, how can you not argue that a newer fleet isn't better for the environment & therefore 'green & ethical'?

Simple. Its the end to end cost.
    Its all front loaded from digging the material out of the ground. The emissions of running the cars are small in comparison up to a point. There is also a big emissions/green cost in disposing of a vehicle.
    There is a sweet spot in lifetime in the middle and its that that has been curtailed, so essentially newer cars can now be more polluting than older ones because of this.

I think German studies have put the start of the sweet spot at about 60-70k miles for ice. That being around the time the build emissions are balanced out, running longer than that means less emissions per mile than a new car - even an EV.
    For EV a lot will depend on if/how the batteries can be reused, not just recycled.

Its the moving lifetime/mileage of the fleet if you think about it like that. If you shorten the lifetime then you never get the benefit of reduced running emissions compared to creation emissions. Only really a problem if cars are scrapped before/around this time and if you think globally and dont make cars here. So yes there might be less running emissions from exhaust gasses but the emissions from manufacture are greater, although this might change with EVs and if the right to repair rules are extended to cars.
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rx8 is probably a bad example tbh, since they are almost a 2 stroke with the amount of engine oil they need to burn to keep the rotary engine happy
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    joefizz wrote: »
    Simple. Its the end to end cost.
    Its all front loaded from digging the material out of the ground. The emissions of running the cars are small in comparison up to a point. There is also a big emissions/green cost in disposing of a vehicle.

I can see what you mean about some points, especially if cars don't get used to their max.

However, I can't agree with the above paragraph, the emissions of an ICE when used are enormous, made worse by their inefficiencies wasting around 75% of the gross energy in the fuel. We also need to include all the energy and emissions consumed/emitted in locating, extracting, transporting, refining and transporting (again) the fuel. Just the refining process alone consumes around 6kWh of energy per gallon.

On top of that they get less efficient and have higher emissions as they get older.

In contrast, whilst a BEV will have higher initial energy consumption due to the batt pack, it's energy consumption going forward is far lower, far more efficient, and year on year will get cleaner in line with grid CO2 reductions.

It might seem like a waste scrapping a perfectly good incandescent lamp, or CRT TV, but if the lower energy alternative is cleaner (net) then the waste can be justified, even if it seems somewhat wrong on the face of it.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • joefizz
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I can see what you mean about some points, especially if cars don't get used to their max.

However, I can't agree with the above paragraph, the emissions of an ICE when used are enormous, made worse by their inefficiencies wasting around 75% of the gross energy in the fuel. We also need to include all the energy and emissions consumed/emitted in locating, extracting, transporting, refining and transporting (again) the fuel. Just the refining process alone consumes around 6kWh of energy per gallon.

On top of that they get less efficient and have higher emissions as they get older.

In contrast, whilst a BEV will have higher initial energy consumption due to the batt pack, it's energy consumption going forward is far lower, far more efficient, and year on year will get cleaner in line with grid CO2 reductions.

It might seem like a waste scrapping a perfectly good incandescent lamp, or CRT TV, but if the lower energy alternative is cleaner (net) then the waste can be justified, even if it seems somewhat wrong on the face of it.

Im interesting in working this out so here goes.

My car is about 130g of CO2 per km so about 210 g/mile about 40 miles to the gallon with 6kwh mentioned above extra at roughly 3.5kg extra CO2 per gallon so for 200 miles it would be roughly 56kg CO2
    For 8000 miles it would be 2.24 tonnes of CO2. (really? !!!!!!!)

My electricity supplier published figures are 361g kw/h so about 90 g/mile if charged from my mains.
    So for 200 miles it would be roughly 18kg CO2

8000 miles would be 0.72 tonnes (0.4 tonnes if I used all my export from solar including losses)

Difference of 1.52 tonnes.(1.84)

Takes about 15-20 tonnes of CO2 to make a tesla... so if you count in generous extra maintenance on the diesel it would be the same over the next 10 years as the tesla, which might be scrapped by then... with the old diesel van engine twice as old and replaced half the time...
    ...of course you might say running a diesel car for 20 years is ridiculous... ...not really I say as I look out at a 22 year old diesel campervan, although the co2 figures for that must be horrendous!

I'll help save the planet by keeping driving the old diesel thanks... ;-)
    Its a simplistic point and not comparing apples with apples but its my situation now and from above you would see that it would take 10 years or more of running the old diesel to see the benefit of the tesla.

However and this goes back to my fundamental point, that that would be over 10 years from now and not front loaded into the atmosphere from the minute I hit order until the minute it arrives in the dealer. Thats also assuming I still do 8k miles a year, it might be economically unviable to do that in 5 or 6 years time or I may not need to with improvements in public transport, either way I will still have front loaded that extra 15-20 tonnes of CO2 which is there regardless of any future mileage.
    Isnt some young kid banging on about the point of no return or something....
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    Has your deisel campervan done 160,000 miles?
    West central Scotland
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    I'd guess not, as it's not a typical use deisel car.
    The figure used to be 18k miles a year was expected mileage on a deisel.... I think that would change your figures somewhat, say 4.5 tonnes a year... ouch!
    At 5 years old taking your top figure for the tesla, it seems the Tesla makes more sense environmentally
    West central Scotland
  • joefizz
    Options
    The figure used to be 18k miles a year was expected mileage on a deisel.... I think that would change your figures somewhat, say 4.5 tonnes a year... ouch!
    At 5 years old taking your top figure for the tesla, it seems the Tesla makes more sense environmentally

Aye live in NI so mileages here can be a lot less and I work from home.

Camper has done 140k, 120k when I got it. 22.5 years old although havent used it in a year as Im eventually going to finish the refurb ;-)

Diesel car is about to hit 78k after 12.5 years so Ive underestimated the mpg and overestimated the mileage but ok for just ballpark figures

The Tesla co2 manufacture figure doesnt include transport to here and it may not even include raw materials etc, just the manufacture and it doesnt include a weighting for battery over ice.

Been thinking about this and Im 50 in 2 months and if I ordered a tesla or alfa guilia quadrifoglio for my birthday I would be possibly responsible for more extra CO2 production in that 2 months (made to order) than for my entire existence (work, home, travel, current cars) for the next 5-10 years.
    !!!!!!!

Another thought, in installing more insulation/home improvements, solar, battery and ashp Ive reduced my annual home heating oil usage (diesel) by about 1000 litres.... about 220 gallons. Times 40mpg its 8800 miles..... more than I do per year in the car... ballpark figures not absolute of course. Never tied the two up before, just was working on reducing that down by a further 300 or so (not now its winter ;-))

Was at science week at Queens last year or the year before and got talking to a guy working on an LPG conversion system for diesel engines... would certainly level the playing field a bit more for high mileage stuff.
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options

I have an old diesel it's done 10,500 miles averages thought it's life and the mileage has averaged 51mpg which is just shy of 2.5 tons per year.

If it takes 20 tons to produce a new car then the break even would be more than 8 years even if the new car was a pure BEV on 0 carbon grid (which we don't have)

More importantly if someone in my situation buys a new car then the diesel doesn't die it gets sold and used. So there are now two cars out there using energy rather than one.

The BEV incentives would probably be better spent on deploying more offshore wind and building more Interconnectors. On insulating homes and upgrading boilers.

BEVs have a place for high mileage applications. Buses taxis trucks HGVs. Maybe the government should sub those rather than personal BEV cars. Giving a £7k grant to a taxi BEV especially a dual driver taxi would be better than giving two private owners £3.5k each. A dual driver taxi can clock up 100,000 miles a year rather than the 7,100 miles a normal person might do. In that instance the payback is just one to two years
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    Another thought, in installing more insulation/home improvements, solar, battery and ashp Ive reduced my annual home heating oil usage (diesel) by about 1000 litres.... about 220 gallons. Times 40mpg its 8800 miles..... more than I do per year in the car... ballpark figures not absolute of course. Never tied the two up before, just was working on reducing that down by a further 300 or so (not now its winter ;-)).

Yep heating is a huge one far more than people realise

During the cold months my heating uses the same energy as someone driving 150 miles per day

To that end I wonder if it would be better to scrap the £3,500 per EV subsidy and make it a £3,500 heat pump subsidy. Likewise importing a £2k heat pump is much easier on the trade balance than importing a £40k Tesla
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback