Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It might be a good idea to get written confirmation of the switch date from your new supplier and the agreed hand-over readings. Then you can start Avro's complaints procedure once you have the facts.

I have that already.
  • PeterPM
    Options
    Although previously pleased with them, I have tried contacting AVRO by email with no success for despite submitting readings, I hadn't had a bill since Aug. In addition there was an anomaly with one of the readings.
    On their Facebook feed, I saw other customers concerns about a current lack of phone contact,and the time taken to deal with their problems.
    Their phones went down on 7th Nov.

I got a reply on Facebook messenger, and then a new bill for Oct though none for September.
    It all felt like it was being done by a few overworked people; the one who replied seemed to be 'firefighting' and responding to problems manually.....

Is AVRO experiencing problems?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PeterPM wrote: »
    . . . Is AVRO experiencing problems?
    I haven't needed to contact them myself but read the recent posts in this thread and draw your own conclusions.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • wrongplanet
    Options
    It's on the list - I've been waiting to see if Avro took an increased DD with no notification and now they have.
    Just contacted my bank to make a claim under the DD Indemnity.

Gave them the full facts including Avro's 'It's down to MSE' stance. They weren't impressed - MSE were clearly just the introducer and any notification was down to Avro. "They clearly don't understand how it works" is a direct quote. No trouble with refunding the full £66.15 taken without notification.

It'll be interesting to see how Avro handle this.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Just contacted my bank to make a claim under the DD Indemnity.
    . . .
    No trouble with refunding the full £66.15 taken without notification.
    For me too. Thanks for sharing.
  • wrongplanet
    Options
    They emailed me at 11am today saying that they have "received notification that you have claimed indemnity" on the November payment, pointing out that this means my account is now in arrears and asking how I want to deal with it.

My reply just thanks them for their email and notes that they have not asked why I "claimed indemnity" on the payment.
  • Consumerist
    edited 19 November 2018 at 10:23PM
    Options
    They emailed me at 11am today saying that they have "received notification that you have claimed indemnity" on the November payment, pointing out that this means my account is now in arrears and asking how I want to deal with it.
    My reply just thanks them for their email and notes that they have not asked why I "claimed indemnity" on the payment.
    It isn't clear to me whether you received notice of your new DD payment when/if you received new contract details when you applied to switch.

There is a risk here that they might transfer you to their default tariff.

If it was me, I think I might have elected to make a manual payment for the amount I was last notified until the issue is sorted out.

My feeling from posts on this thread is that they don't take prisoners when it comes to an argument.
  • goldbug45
    Options
    I joined Avro in September '17 - first time for me with a provider not one of the "Big Six". Switch went very smoothly. I rang a couple of times with queries - and was irritated by the fact that if you don't get a reply straightaway you don't get a message saying what number you are in the queue. or how long the wait is likely to be, or suggesting a quieter time to try again. Subsequently I emailed and always received a prompt and courteous service. However there were a few surprises around the leaving process:
    1. I already knew from Cheap Energy Club info that Avro take their direct debits in advance. I naively assumed that a 12 month contract would mean 12 monthly payments, but on 31 August (knowing by then that I was intending to leave them on 6 September) they took another full month's payment, so 13 in total. This gave them assurance that when I did leave they would be unlikely to be owed any money from me, but left me feeling I had been taken advantage of, and waiting for a refund.
    2. Although I supplied Avro with my final readings on the leaving date I subsequently learned from Avro and my new supplier that old suppliers do not produce a final account until they receive the meter readings from the new supplier and these readings are sent via a mysterious "industry body" to the old supplier in a process that can take anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks. Avro would not give me contact details for this "industry body" for reasons of data protection. My new supplier confirmed that they sent the required readings to Avro via this body on 6 September and Avro have confirmed in writing that they received these readings on 20 September, but gave a reason for no refund to me yet as "the supply is now showing on the database as lost". A cynic might wonder whether Avro are short of money! On 31 October Avro advised that they had passed the final readings to their final settlements team to produce my final bill, a process which can take up to 8 weeks from the date these readings were received!
    3. On 19th November I received my refund of £74.61 into my bank account. Avro had the required readings on 20 September and I get the impression they simply held on to my money for all that time because it suited them to. I realise this is probably "industry standard" practice but IMHO it is not acceptable. You have been warned.
  • wrongplanet
    wrongplanet Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 November 2018 at 3:52PM
    Options
    It isn't clear to me whether you received notice of your new DD payment when/if you received new contract details when you applied to switch.
    To clarify, they have not notified me of the increased DD, hence my invoking the guarantee/indemnity.

When I switched tariffs via MSE I expected Avro to confirm this and ask for a meter reading but no, and when I took to FB their response was it wasn't up to them but MSE and I was to take it up with them.

Their email of yesterday was, other than the normal monthly meter reading requests, the first communication from Avro since before I switched tariffs.
    If it was me, I think I might have elected to make a manual payment for the amount I was last notified until the issue is sorted out.
    In retrospect that would probably have been better - I'll pay them as soon as I'm done here.

[EDIT] Interestingly Lloyds doesn't recognise Avro when setting up a payment to a company.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Options
    When I was an Avro customer this summer I tried to switch to a new (more expensive!) Avro fixed tariff.

My deal was due to end in October’18 but I wanted to switch early because tariffs were rising rapidly at the time and I was keen to negotiate a new 12-month tariff before my current deal ended.

To my surprise I couldn’t switch to a new tariff through Avro’s website because I was an ‘existing customer’,...even though new customers could.

The only way for existing customers to switch early is to contact Avro directly and negotiate the switch manually.

However, contacting Avro in a timely manner proved a near impossibility a few months ago and being conscious of Avro’s tariff being superseded by a more expensive one, I opted to switch (instantly and online!) to a new Energy supplier.

It turned out to be a good move because within a day or so my new supplier (Yorkshire Energy) and Avro both introduced considerably more expensive ‘fixed tariffs’.

Had I been able to complete an early switch to a new Avro tariff ‘online’ I would still be an Avro customer;...hey ho. :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback