Anyone used Rointe heaters?

Options

Comments

• mackamus
    Options
    Hi

This thread has been a wonderful resource, just wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their input. Saying that, was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction.

I live in Scotland, and am currently the occupant of a ground-floor middle one bedroom flat in a block of 8 (4 ground, 4 first floor). The floors are concrete. I have enquired about getting gas installed and had two different gas engineers pretty much tell me that it would be too expensive, too much hassle and not worth the investment. I am currently on an Economy 7 tariff, as I have an immersion water heater so I can take advantage of the cheaper rates to heat my water. I unfortunately do not have any kind of heating installed, and instead having been making use of plug in oil-heaters and convector to provide heat. I spoke to an electrician about getting proper heating installed as my SO is moving in, and cannot handle the cold as well as I can - and as anyone who lives in the the central belt will tell you it gets cold in Scotland! The electrician pointed me towards Rointe heaters, but having found this thread I have now been thoroughly put off these!

I was thinking of going down the NSH route, as many of my neighbours have these kinds of heaters. However, having done some basic research I am unsure what are the best on the market or trusted brands. Can anyibe give me some advice please? I was thinking either fan-assisted or combination NSH, and as I will be looking to sell in the foreseeable future looking for something that will be unlikely to put off prospective buyers,

Thanks in advance
    A
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    mackamus wrote: »
    Hi

This thread has been a wonderful resource, just wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their input. Saying that, was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction.

I live in Scotland, and am currently the occupant of a ground-floor middle one bedroom flat in a block of 8 (4 ground, 4 first floor). The floors are concrete. I have enquired about getting gas installed and had two different gas engineers pretty much tell me that it would be too expensive, too much hassle and not worth the investment. I am currently on an Economy 7 tariff, as I have an immersion water heater so I can take advantage of the cheaper rates to heat my water. I unfortunately do not have any kind of heating installed, and instead having been making use of plug in oil-heaters and convector to provide heat. I spoke to an electrician about getting proper heating installed as my SO is moving in, and cannot handle the cold as well as I can - and as anyone who lives in the the central belt will tell you it gets cold in Scotland! The electrician pointed me towards Rointe heaters, but having found this thread I have now been thoroughly put off these!

I was thinking of going down the NSH route, as many of my neighbours have these kinds of heaters. However, having done some basic research I am unsure what are the best on the market or trusted brands. Can anyibe give me some advice please? I was thinking either fan-assisted or combination NSH, and as I will be looking to sell in the foreseeable future looking for something that will be unlikely to put off prospective buyers,

Thanks in advance
    A

Dimplex are probably the most well known manufactuer of NSHs used in the UK.
    Creda are probably considered to be their biggest competitor.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    "The electrician pointed me towards Rointe heaters"

- he would, the commission is more than 5 days hourly rate

Rock and hard place, like your neibours its E7/10 or plug-on-demand-core-rate. E10/18 is the luxury price tariff and Dimplex Quantum is the luxury end of NSH.

Advice based on your home is not possible other than :

- NSH are either 9/12/18 bricks
    - enough installed storage (of the cheap stuff) bricks is the secret
    - radiative is better than (seagulls feet) convective
    - your dwelling - you decide - best of luck
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi

Thanks in advance
    A
    Even though you heat water at night, an E7 tariff without storage heating will probably work out more expensive than a 'normal' 24/7 tariff. This is because the daytime rate on an E7 tariff is higher than the 24/7 tariff, and the savings at night rate may not compensate for this extra expenditure.

You also need to check the electrical wiring in your flat to check if it is suited for NSH. Also, particularly in Scotland, there are other forms of off-peak supply.

Most properties with E7 these days have 7 hours at off-peak supply and all electricity consumed in that 7 hours is at cheap rate. However some properties are wired so only NSH and immersion heaters use cheap rate and all other lights/sockets use day rate.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I live in Scotland, ... I unfortunately do not have any kind of heating installed,

Check the Energy Saving Trust website as there may be grants towards a new E7 storage heating system.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    "The electrician pointed me towards Rointe heaters"

- he would, the commission is more than 5 days @hourly rate
    - zero installation costs/time about the same as plugging in a 13a kettle
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Osbnay
    Options
    Hi, i just move to new house yesterday but I found out full of rointe heater in my house, I tried to program them but was very difficult for me, even trying to watch you tube video but still I couldn't manage.... So please if anyone knows the easiest way to program them real need help before my bill come up high
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Google is your friend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Slw_xLQaM

PS Start saving up for your big electricity bills

PPS I presume you read your meters yesterday and contacted the existing supplier. Is it an E7 supply ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • harrys66
    Options
    Hi maybe you could please help me out I have moved into a flat 8 weeks ago and thought initially there was a technical fault with this new system : ive addressed it with the landlord who doesn't agree with me re the inefficiency of this system . I'm
    A nurse in need of some heat after work only for a few hours but running these heaters at 30 max makes very little change to freezing rooms ; any advice as now winter and I've borrowed a friends halogen tonight heats the room up : I'm concerned re cost of the Rointe system and from
    Day 1 I've said it doesn't seem to work !! Thankyou

keep it simple ...... just get a cheap fan heater (or two) from argos, as its the quickest way to get to a "feeling" of a warmed up room, does mean it will cool down quickly once switched off but probably be in a warm duvet by then :)

also connect your heater to this so you can use your phone to switch it on before getting home or from your duvet in the morning .... TAKING CARE NOTHING IS NEAR THE HEATER WHEN YOU SWITCH IT ON REMOTELY !!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tcp-wissinwuk-smart-plug-white/231hk
  • pete1964
    Options
    Hi
    An electrician has just recommended Rointe heaters to me as being more efficient too and I've stumbled upon this post looking for some form of review or test.

I've read the posts here and I understand the comments regarding a 300W heater taking 300W of electricity no matter the design.

But I'm not understanding why the design of the components getting the heat produced by the 300W of electricity into the room, does not seem to be mentioned or discussed?

I admit that I'm not a designer of Electric heaters, but I do know a bit about electronics. For example; an integrated circuit, like the CPU in your computer consumes electricity and generates heat. It generates so much heat that without technology to remove that heat from the CPU and from the computer case, the CPU would overheat and burn out. My understanding is that for the same amount of electricity and therefore cost I can either fit a heatsink that is very efficient at getting the heat away from the CPU and into the room I sit on, or I can use a cheap heatsink and cheap heatsink mounting compound and let my CPU run hot.

Could it be that some electric heaters have a better way of transmitting the heat generated by the electricity out into the room? If not surely trading or advertising standards should be alerted to a false statement about being more economical to run etc?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback