Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    He's generous of spirit, HH, and also gives his time willingly too. Some things are worth much more than money:). I'm still envious;)
    I think you're coping remarkably well since you lost your Mum.

You've soldiered on through all that computer trouble right in the midst of doing the accounts and got them done. A bit of hair-tearing maybe but you didn't go into meltdown. You've sent off application forms for jobs and are getting organised with an interview outfit so are obviously being very positive which is so lovely to hear about. There are so many other things too.

You seem to cope admirably when rubbish payers cause major cashflow problems for how your family get through even the next day. Yes, you seem pretty 'down' sometimes when you tell us about events but that's why being able to let off steam to virtual friends is so good. You always seem to bounce back and I bet through it all you've been a tower of strength to your stepdad. DH and sons.

Please don't do yourself down, HH. After everything that you've had to contend with and are still battling through you're an inspiration to me ( and I've only got OH to moan about:( ). Honestly, HH, you're a star:A

Thank you Carboot. Your words have made me cry a bit this morning. Sometimes it's kindness that chokes me up :o.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HH have an enjoyable weekend away with your step dad and the relatives. Plus I hope the volunteering goes well . You are doing so much better on PA than me .
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Volunteering again this morning. I'm a bit shattered as I didn't sleep very well, I was feeling too tense to go into a deep sleep. I'll feel better when I've got back from my weekend away.

The weather should be better today anyway.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    HH have an enjoyable weekend away with your step dad and the relatives. Plus I hope the volunteering goes well . You are doing so much better on PA than me .

Thanks Cumbria :).
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    I think you're coping remarkably well since you lost your Mum.

You've soldiered on through all that computer trouble right in the midst of doing the accounts and got them done. A bit of hair-tearing maybe but you didn't go into meltdown. You've sent off application forms for jobs and are getting organised with an interview outfit so are obviously being very positive which is so lovely to hear about. There are so many other things too.

You seem to cope admirably when rubbish payers cause major cashflow problems for how your family get through even the next day. Yes, you seem pretty 'down' sometimes when you tell us about events but that's why being able to let off steam to virtual friends is so good. You always seem to bounce back and I bet through it all you've been a tower of strength to your stepdad. DH and sons.

Please don't do yourself down, HH. After everything that you've had to contend with and are still battling through you're an inspiration to me ( and I've only got OH to moan about:( ). Honestly, HH, you're a star:A

Everything here I agree with. I could not have put it better. Perhaps you see yourself differently from the way we see you, HH, but obviously a place to let off steam, have a bit of a moan, bewail events, is a valuable resource.

I admire your resilience xx
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 30 November 2018 at 1:34PM
    Options
    I absolutely second (third?) what carboot and Elizabeth say, HH. You are coping... it's just an incredibly tough time and that's why it's a struggle. However, you have strength of character and a positive outlook and those make a huge difference.

I wondered if the slow payers are always the same bunch and if so would it be possible to move the goalposts? I seem to remember that people react more to the threat of loss of something they already have than to gaining something extra so perhaps a 'discount' for payment within the month and a higher price ('administrative charge'?)for late payers? Or priority given to timely payers? Of course this depends on relative size of businesses as bigger ones might be able to defer payment without compromising their own position. Or are there possibilities in looking to replace these slow payers with better customers?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    @Elizabeth
    @Cherry

Thank you both.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options

I wondered if the slow payers are always the same bunch and if so would it be possible to move the goalposts? I seem to remember that people react more to the threat of loss of something they already have than to gaining something extra so perhaps a 'discount' for payment within the month and a higher price ('administrative charge'?)for late payers? Or priority given to timely payers? Of course this depends on relative size of businesses as bigger ones might be able to defer payment without compromising their own position. Or are there possibilities in looking to replace these slow payers with better customers?

There's a variety of problems Cherry. Frequently lack of work is the problem, sometimes it's slow payers, sometimes it's DH procrastinating on projects for emotional reasons. Mainly it's lack of work and a lack of quality customers. I think the business is never going to be as successful as it was in the past due to changes in our industry :(.

This is why I need to get a job so we have a reliable source of income.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I enjoyed volunteering as always. The children were doing tests and one was in tears by the end because it was too hard. We weren't allowed to help them. Such pressure at age six :(. But we did our best to reassure her she had worked very hard and done well to answer most of the questions.

I haven't heard back about the extra activity so that frees up my afternoon :).

I need to pack for going away tomorrow, make a packed lunch to take, fold up washing, put another wash on and check for surveys.

The sun has been out most of the day :).
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed volunteering. Have a good weekend away x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income